Known Issues & Problems with ECOTRIC Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

That's the classic case of an unbalanced battery. It's got a bad cell group that's close to empty, but the other groups are full so the charge voltage appears great at 41.4V When you ride it, the bad cell is empty after a few miles. When you try to recharge, the good cells recharge quickly and shut off the charger, so the bad cells can never get filled. My Ecotric battery did this after 25 months,

Some batteries have balance circuits to address this issue, but most inexpensive batteries don't. As a result, there's no good fix, in my opinion. Low quakity cells in the battery are the root cause.
That's tough. So I've gone through two batteries in about the span of about 4 1/2 years. Do you have any suggestions or links to a good reliable battery for the 20inch foldable ecotric bike that will hopefully last me longer than 1-2 years? I know the normal ecotric battery runs around $250 or so.

Can't help on batteries. The Ecotric uses the Silverfish case, which is a good sturdy case that goes back over 10 years, but they stuffed it with low cost cells, as do most battery makers, I would look for one that advertises Samsung, LG, Sanyo cells if you want quality, but there are not many such sellers.

I replaced mine with a UPP, unit pack power battery for $259. I've owned a few UPP packs and while they do put name brand cells for extra cost into batteries, they didn't on this one. I've had good luck with UPP (no fails with 5 packs in 7 years), but others have not. I also think many of the UPP packs sold on amazon and ebay are fake so I wouldn't buy them. Typical of the chinese market to counterfeit anyone that has market share, even if not considered top tier.

Last edited:
Back