Known Issues & Problems with ECOTRIC Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

So within 24 hours Im pleased to say: Ecotric customer service got back to me with the specs I requested. Seatpost 27.2mm
I decided not to go with Ecotrik because they charge credit cards months before they even ship the bike and thier answering service is ALWAYS full.

I decided not to go with Ecotrik because they charge credit cards months before they even ship the bike and thier answering service is ALWAYS full.

I have found most marketing/importers are best delt with via email. My fattie was used but I bought my wifes direct. I used PayPal. Bike arrived in under a week.

I think anything close to good service for lower end ( easily upgraded ) eBikes is the exception. The Ecotric proved cheaper than a DIY

I have found most marketing/importers are best delt with via email. My fattie was used but I bought my wifes direct. I used PayPal. Bike arrived in under a week.

I think anything close to good service for lower end ( easily upgraded ) eBikes is the exception. The Ecotric proved cheaper than a DIY
I was attracted to their price point as well as the dj bikes and the lectric...however due to the Corona virus they were all back logged, and I don't want to wait, our summers are very short : (

So I bought a DIY from Calibike and I will get a 1500 w geared rear hub motor with a 48v 20ah battery for less than any of the other options and they only have half the power at best and the kit will have less weight!
Not sure what I'm going to do with all that power, but it's nice to know I have it.

It only takes less than 1 week to get into my hands! 7-3-20
Ohh and Calibikes has a telephone number in the states!

Plus, I like to fiddle with mechanical things......,LOL, have my Amazon cart filled with possible add ons; alarms; locks; brake upgrades; horns; kickstands etc.
I'm ready to rumble !

Hello everyone! New future ebiker here.
From the reviews and such I understand the Ecotric Hammer is a pretty good entry level bike. I am hesitant about fat tires, as I don't live on the beach or plan to ride in the snow and they seem to add to the weight considerably. (not sure my old mountain bike car rack would be strong enough). Also the seat height is 38 inches which means an awkward dismount for me with a 32 inseam.
So I looked at the Ecotric Seagull which has regular mountain bike tires and lower seat and weighs 68 pounds ( I think). However there are very few reviews/info that I can find online about the Seagull...is it a newer model or just not popular, defective, etc?

Thanks for any feedback in advance
Joel
I bought 2 of the Seagulls a couple months ago. I liked that they looked different in a cool kind of way and the 48 volt 1000 watt motor and even hydraulic brakes. I got the free fenders and a $180 discount.
Shipping was fast. Assembly was EZ. The weight in their specs is wrong. I weighed both of mine without any accessories and they came in at 63# each.
Had an issue with a tire tube getting punctured. Turned out to be burrs on the holes where the spokes go through.
I sanded the holes and purchased heavy duty tubes.
Ecotric replied to all my questions and emails and took care of the parts I purchased even though tires and tubes aren't part of the warranty.
Now I'm having a problem with one of the batteries and will wait and see what they say. Not worried with the 18 month warranty.
Still happy with the purchase considering the price paid and they haul butt. :)
I almost went with the Tornado to get the full suspension but I didn't like the way the battery is mounted. It looked like an after thought. I did add some softer seats and they feel good.

Last edited:
Good deal!
I couldn't wait ,so I bought a 1500w 52v kit with a 48v 20ah battery, got it together in about 3-4 hours and it flies at 29 mph no problem.
I still have some finishing touches to get, like kickstand, lights ,horn ,alarm and locks , fenders?? .
I weighed it at 50 lbs. Not too bad for a heavy donor bike.
Thanks for the reply and happy trails.....

Yeah I am always wary of red flags like chargeing the card months before shipment.
Someone emailed me back when I mentioned that flaw and they said "that's the way it's done" Huh? like I've never bought online or something.
Thanks for the confirmation. And the reddit info, I'll be joining that sub.

From this report on the ebikes sub-reddit it sounds like you made the right call! I hope that guys credit card company accepts the charge back. Their ‘About Us’ page is something else https://www.ecotric.com/pages/about-us

Bio pages on most export / import companies crack me up. You would think it might just be better to write up whatever blah-blah it is you want to convey and have a writer of that language simply do the copy.

With the Covid-19 backing up orders on eBikes the way they are I'd just wait till the pipeline is surging and buy when delivery is in days not months.

Hello Everyone,

Was happy to find this forum. Very helpful in addressing my current issues with my ecotric fat tire. Was at the local pawn shop 4 months ago and they had an old school ecotric 26 inch fat bike for sale. Road it around the parking lot and loved it. Have been using it on a regular basis and even commute to work on occasion. Last weekend the electrical starting acting up and then died. My local bike shops only want to work on the ebikes that they sell. Battery was strong and motor ran well up until it died so I'm speculating that it is the controller or controller display. After reading this forum and the very helpful HarryS upgrade thread I decided to try to replace the electrical system (except for hub and battery) with the same controller system. After watching the KT LCD 3 and 8 programming video's I'm leaning towards the simplicity of the LED display. I do like to change the level of assist on the fly and the lcd setups seemed a bit cumbersome and hard to read while in the act of riding. Anyone have thoughts?

Waiting to hear back from ecotric to see if they have replacement parts at that level ( controller and/or display) or know of somewhere that will repair in Illinois but don't expect to have much luck. Shopping cart is ready to go at pspower.

Alot of parts are available on eBay, or were the last time I looked. I have the same bike. I am considering a 2WD and upgrading to a 48v 750. Hope your next post has you up and running and the reason it stopped.

DGAB --- Is it 36V with LED810 display or 48V with their LCD?

The bike has a 36v 4 pin connector 810 LED. All the ones I saw on ebay had to come from China and looked like it would take a month or 2. As for as I could tell pswpower will be much quicker (I hope). The order would be for a 36v/48v universal the package would come with a KT-LCD3 and I am ordering an extra 890 LED. The controller package would be from the link in your thread. Given the price I just will order all the options. I did not see a LED 810 display available on that website. The 890 seems very similar. As far as I can tell it would work with my bike. Wow quick responses. Thanks

Alot of parts are available on eBay, or were the last time I looked. I have the same bike. I am considering a 2WD and upgrading to a 48v 750. Hope your next post has you up and running and the reason it stopped.

Sounds great. Can you do that upgrade without purchasing a new battery? Still new to understanding the electrical considerations.

This is the order:

1 36V/48V 500W 6Mosfets 20A Brushless DC Sine Wave Controller

LCD/LED:KT-LCD3 Lamp and switch:with Lamp and switch Throttle:with left Throttle Brake:with Wuxing Brake Speed sensor:with Speed sensor PAS:with ten poles
KT36/48SVPR-20A68.60168.60
2 Motor cable with 9 pin Waterproof Motor Wire Motor Connector

Size:KT-M-Cable
KT-M-Cable&KT-9P Cable7.0017.00
3 Controller Case 200mm*75mm*65mm
KT-Con-Case2.5012.50
4 KT-LED890 LED Meter for KT-Series Controlers

Voltage:KT-LED890 36V
KT-LED8909.6019.60

I would have to upgrade the battery but frankly that's how I even started to consider the upgrade, looking for a frame triangle style battery, one with 20amps. If China is slow on shipping it would give me more time to consider options and wife wrath as far as fixing something thats working fine. Harry is a great source of info, as I am sure you know already.

This is the order:

1 36V/48V 500W 6Mosfets 20A Brushless DC Sine Wave Controller

LCD/LED:KT-LCD3 Lamp and switch:with Lamp and switch Throttle:with left Throttle Brake:with Wuxing Brake Speed sensor:with Speed sensor PAS:with ten poles
KT36/48SVPR-20A68.60168.60
2 Motor cable with 9 pin Waterproof Motor Wire Motor Connector

Size:KT-M-Cable
KT-M-Cable&KT-9P Cable7.0017.00
3 Controller Case 200mm*75mm*65mm KT-Con-Case2.5012.50
4 KT-LED890 LED Meter for KT-Series Controlers

Voltage:KT-LED890 36V
KT-LED8909.6019.60

What I love most about hub motored eBikes. The prices are so reasonable you can even diagnose via process of elimination. So what if you end up with some spares. Pretty sure this will handle your issues...keep us posted

That was my thinking. Order it all and figure it out as you work on the bike. The bike did fit my needs though. Looks strong. Drives with adequate speed and power. Gives an old man a little excercise. Won't be accused of a mid life crisis like I would if I purchased a motorcycle.

Well, you're in Springfield. I'd loan you my 36V Ecotric controller to test if we were neighbors. It's for the 20" fat tire bike, but probably the same as the 26".

That PSWpower model controller above is what I picked, but it requires all the connectors to be rewired.

If you buy this one, an extra $20-25 gets you brake levers, throttle, and PAS sensor, and it includes 4:1 connector which is used on better kits and commercial ebikes. You basically replace the entire electrical system of your existing bike. The only wire splices would be the power cable to the controller. This is what I wanted when I converted my folding bikes.

I used to get up to Chicago quite a bit and grew up and lived north of Midway until I was 30. Taking a cautious approach to travel these days. This will be the first year since I don't know when that I haven't been to a ballgame or 6 during the summer. I was planning on replacing all of those items anyway and that link is a much more elegant solution. Thank you very much. Almost seems like cheating. Still debating which display to get. Going to watch the video on all of them again.

Back