Known Issues & Problems with ECOTRIC Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from ECOTRIC as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer. Big thanks to @harryS for suggesting the addition of this brand!

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from ECOTRIC as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer. Big thanks to @harryS for suggesting the addition of this brand!
Glad to see this thread ! HarryS provided me enough info via his helpful posts to go with Ecotric. I had looked at Sondors, Rad and Rattan ( I had got into their crowd sourced X bike but they were too unclear when it was time to pay the balance). So far my wife seems fine with the "jump" start on her step through 20". I don't like that 3 level controller at all. Both of us were pretty amazed at how easy they pedal with motor off ( level ground). We are both pretty confident we could pedal ourselves to a place to charge the battery, should we push the range to the limits. I am awaiting suspension forks to upgrade my 26'er. I will post links once they are installed. I purchased the 26" beach, Mtn, snow fatty, used. It came with rack, stem extender and extra battery and charger for about $30 less than a Black Friday new one with orange rims. So thanks again for getting this post started Court. It will no doubt be helpful to the Ecotric folks and those of us who have purchased their product.

Glad to see this thread ! HarryS provided me enough info via his helpful posts to go with Ecotric. I had looked at Sondors, Rad and Rattan ( I had got into their crowd sourced X bike but they were too unclear when it was time to pay the balance). So far my wife seems fine with the "jump" start on her step through 20". I don't like that 3 level controller at all. Both of us were pretty amazed at how easy they pedal with motor off ( level ground). We are both pretty confident we could pedal ourselves to a place to charge the battery, should we push the range to the limits. I am awaiting suspension forks to upgrade my 26'er. I will post links once they are installed. I purchased the 26" beach, Mtn, snow fatty, used. It came with rack, stem extender and extra battery and charger for about $30 less than a Black Friday new one with orange rims. So thanks again for getting this post started Court. It will no doubt be helpful to the Ecotric folks and those of us who have purchased their product.
Hey Gypsey Treker, couldn't agree more with you on the "jump" start with the LED display/controller that comes with some of the models. We have two of the 20" folders with them and upgraded (with HarryS help) to the LCD setup and wow, what a difference! It handles like it should in the lower assist levels and has lots of power in the higher assist levels. Another plus is with the LCD8H display you get larger power and mode buttons that are easier to switch PAS up or down while riding even with gloves on and it has a large color screen with mph, battery volts and more. We travel in a motor home and tow a jeep with the folders inside - the bikes are perfect around campground and beach trails. Have fun with yours!

Hey Gypsey Treker, couldn't agree more with you on the "jump" start with the LED display/controller that comes with some of the models. We have two of the 20" folders with them and upgraded (with HarryS help) to the LCD setup and wow, what a difference! It handles like it should in the lower assist levels and has lots of power in the higher assist levels. Another plus is with the LCD8H display you get larger power and mode buttons that are easier to switch PAS up or down while riding even with gloves on and it has a large color screen with mph, battery volts and more. We travel in a motor home and tow a jeep with the folders inside - the bikes are perfect around campground and beach trails. Have fun with yours!

Were you able to simply upgrade the display or did you upgrade the controller also?

Were you able to simply upgrade the display or did you upgrade the controller also?
Bought the KT controller also. Got it from PSWPOWER . The controller that comes with the 810LED Display won't support the LCD. I see now that Ecotric offers the LCD setup and and 48v on the 20" fat tire folder - I guess they got the message. 42861

Attachments

• 20191130_135840.jpg
    20191130_135840.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 1,152
  • 20191130_135902.jpg
    20191130_135902.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 1,087
Last edited:
Bought the KT controller also. Got it from PSWPOWER . The controller that comes with the 810LED Display won't support the LCD. I see now that Ecotric offers the LCD setup and and 48v on the 20" fat tire folder - I guess they got the message.
Thanks for getting back. I am going to wait till it becomes an issue with my wife. Now that I have a parts source I can revisit this if she changes her viewpoint.

Just wanted to say thanks to Court for setting up an Ecotric forum. I have two of the folders. I did not have much time to use them before the weather got cold, but I have found them to be great fun, and they give my wife a chance to get places where she wouldn't go on a conventional bike (one bad knee). Like everyone else, I think the way the power kicks in when you pedal from a standstill is a bit rude, but I now mostly start with the throttle and start to pedal after I get rolling. As long as nothing breaks down, I think these bikes offer a lot of performance for the price point. I didn't think I would like the fat tires but now that I have gone on some trails I think they are swell. Anyway it is great to have this forum.

So we are currently in Kissimmee Prairie with our Ecotric's. So far so good, just a few thoughts. My wife has learned to work around her "getting started" by simply using her throttle then peddle ( she has the 20" folder 36v). I find that I use the same procedure because the frame sits a bit high for simply throwing my leg over. The biggest downsides to both bikes so far is battery levels via the provided gauges ( we don't trust them) and the ridgid front forks. Both issues will be addressed when we get back home ( I already have some air/spring/oil forks waiting). I ordered two voltage meters to handle battery levels more accurately. My suggestion if your just getting back into biking, especially off road.....wait on getting extra batteries. I am amazed how sore I am from the pounding off road LOL. We are averaging 12-15 miles daily and just dealing with the bikes weight will give your upper body a serious workout. Both our batteries indicate about 1/2 at the end of the day (12-15mi). We both stay mostly in PAS 1 or 2 ( been up to 5 on a long dirt straight....about 23mph, pedaling) peddling will extend battery time, of that I'm sure, so we don't ride using throttle. So as far as fat tires.....good move. We took one long trail that was grass, ruts, shell gravel and some deep sand...the bikes glided over the sand but we did need to power through it. If your along in years I have to say fatties feel very stable while riding on all surfaces. The value to fun ratio on these Ecotric eBikes is off the charts. My typical impulsive purchase habits would have had me on a Rock Mountain out of the gate because hey...I use to race dirt bikes...the key word here is "use too" many years ago. Fact is these $750 eBikes might very well last my wife and I our lifetimes. They can be upgraded, modified and enhanced and still be thousands of dollars less than a high end eMTB. My body limits are less than the ebikes we now have, think of the money saved just coming to that understanding. :)

Hi Gypsy. Sounds like you got a great deal. What brand/model stem extender does your bike have? I'm 6'5" and it looks like the handlebars need to be raised if I am going to be comfortable on this bike. Thanks!

Hi Gypsy. Sounds like you got a great deal. What brand/model stem extender does your bike have? I'm 6'5" and it looks like the handlebars need to be raised if I am going to be comfortable on this bike. Thanks!

Actually that stem extender did not work out. I ended up with a unit that allowed for multiple angles on the rotating headset. I am going to experiment with sweep back bars next. When we changed out forks it was mentioned those long extenders can put pressure on the lower race. I would not opt to use that extender again. That said, I'm like 5'9 :)stem.jpg

Actually that stem extender did not work out. I ended up with a unit that allowed for multiple angles on the rotating headset. I am going to experiment with sweep back bars next. When we changed out forks it was mentioned those long extenders can put pressure on the lower race. I would not opt to use that extender again. That said, I'm like 5'9 :)View attachment 46447
Thank you for your response, Gypsy! 2-3 inches of height would probably do the trick for me, so a rotating headset might work. Do you know the diameters needed? 1-1/8 for the stem and 1-1/4 for the handlebars?

Raised Handlebars for an Ecotric 26" Fat Tire Ebike

Just ordered two new Ecotric 26" fat tire bikes. I'm 6'5" tall, so I think I'll need to do something to raise the handlebars. Stem risers seem to be problematic, so I am considering a new set of raised handlebars. Does anybody know of a drop-in replacement for the existing straight bars? Also, does anybody have suggestions for getting the leather hand grips off? Thanks!

I believe the bars and headset are std size found on most lower end mtb's. That's what I ordered and they fit. Remember to leave room for throttle if you order new grips ( pretty sure you will. I use to use compressed air but these grips seem to ridged). If it matters, I plan on replacing my bars with ones that have more rise and sweep. Anticipating what will probably be your next inquiry....yes....the forks are a major improvement. You find them on Amazon...they are generic, appearing under several brand names, and run around $140-150. Make sure they are spring/air with lock-out. They will totally save your shoulders from the jarring the ridged forks provide. I looked at seatposts and opted to go with a Brooks sprung seat. As a much younger rider I had Brooks seats on my MtB and Road bikes. Broken in they are really comfortable, although the $15 split center I have on there is not bad. Foam tech has come a long way.

I missed that commentary on the stem risers. I've raised a couple of bikes 1 " to 2" with them. Also used 2" to 4" riser bars in conjunction with them. It's basically style that keeps me from going much higher with the extenders. The spacers are kind of ugly.

Threaded steerer parts are almost always 1 1/8". There are a few older bikes running 1" threaded, but not common at all I believe that the handlebars are either 25.4mm or 31.8mm in the center. The Ecotric 26" fat tire bike is probably 25.4mm or 1". You can easiy tell, because handlebar accessories like grips, throttles, levers, shifters are around 7/8", and if the center bulges big time, then it's 31.8mm.

For the grips, I jam a screwdriver between them and the bars, and squirt some WD-40 down the seam. Wiggle a bit and they come loose.

Thanks, Harry, this information is very helpful. I will let everybody know what I try and how it works out. Being tall sucks when buying parts for a bike!

Last edited:
I believe the bars and headset are std size found on most lower end mtb's. That's what I ordered and they fit. Remember to leave room for throttle if you order new grips ( pretty sure you will. I use to use compressed air but these grips seem to ridged). If it matters, I plan on replacing my bars with ones that have more rise and sweep. Anticipating what will probably be your next inquiry....yes....the forks are a major improvement. You find them on Amazon...they are generic, appearing under several brand names, and run around $140-150. Make sure they are spring/air with lock-out. They will totally save your shoulders from the jarring the ridged forks provide. I looked at seatposts and opted to go with a Brooks sprung seat. As a much younger rider I had Brooks seats on my MtB and Road bikes. Broken in they are really comfortable, although the $15 split center I have on there is not bad. Foam tech has come a long way.

One more question, Gypsy, if I may... What headset did you buy? From Amazon? I's still having trouble establishing the handlebar diameter for this bike. Thanks!

So my Brooks "Flyer" arrived. I installed it just to see how different it would be from the Amazon split gel seat I bought for $19. The gel seat was amazingly comfy but as I mentioned I had Brooks B17's on my Road and MTB years ago and loved them. My quick 2 mile zip on a trail behind our place confirmed that the springs on the seat were a good choice. Anyone who has owned a Brooks knows they must be broken in. I just got done going over the bottom of the seat with Brooks leather conditioner. Hopefully by next week the leather will soften a wee bit and I can mess with the tension adjuster, or not. Sometimes they just need the dressing. Will post some thoughts after some miles

Hello everyone! New future ebiker here.
From the reviews and such I understand the Ecotric Hammer is a pretty good entry level bike. I am hesitant about fat tires, as I don't live on the beach or plan to ride in the snow and they seem to add to the weight considerably. (not sure my old mountain bike car rack would be strong enough). Also the seat height is 38 inches which means an awkward dismount for me with a 32 inseam.
So I looked at the Ecotric Seagull which has regular mountain bike tires and lower seat and weighs 68 pounds ( I think). However there are very few reviews/info that I can find online about the Seagull...is it a newer model or just not popular, defective, etc?

Thanks for any feedback in advance
Joel

Ex
I missed that commentary on the stem risers. I've raised a couple of bikes 1 " to 2" with them. Also used 2" to 4" riser bars in conjunction with them. It's basically style that keeps me from going much higher with the extenders. The spacers are kind of ugly.

Threaded steerer parts are almost always 1 1/8". There are a few older bikes running 1" threaded, but not common at all I believe that the handlebars are either 25.4mm or 31.8mm in the center. The Ecotric 26" fat tire bike is probably 25.4mm or 1". You can easiy tell, because handlebar accessories like grips, throttles, levers, shifters are around 7/8", and if the center bulges big time, then it's 31.8mm.

For the grips, I jam a screwdriver between them and the bars, and squirt some WD-40 down the seam. Wiggle a bit and they come loose.

@harryS. Any idea the seatpost diameter is on the 20" fattie? My has one and once I know I can see if its the same as my 26". I want to try a suspension seatpost.

Back