Known Issues & Problems with Ebikemotion Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Hi there.

I just received an Orbea Gain D50 and have no experience in Road bikes or E bikes, only hybrid city bike. Took it for a ride and it seems to work as intended but one thing that struck me directly was the big delay in engagement when starting paddling.

Have searched for hours to find what it's called and so on and found something called Points of Engagement that I think is related to the issue.

So I paddle backwards and I think I can hear 15 clicks, so my question is does this hub only have 15 POE? (Points of Engagement), or is something not correct here?

I think you're just jamming the motor drive clutch some how. Mine is a little weird backing up too. I think POE refers to the free hub which is standard Shimano, which is fine.

My Orbea Gain is a US version F30. I've taken it to the street with Continental GP 5000 TL tires in 28/32 and to the hills with an XTR mech w/ 2x11 50/36 CR and 11-42 cassette. I would have preferred the Euro version so it would stop assisting sooner.

Hi there.

I just received an Orbea Gain D50 and have no experience in Road bikes or E bikes, only hybrid city bike. Took it for a ride and it seems to work as intended but one thing that struck me directly was the big delay in engagement when starting paddling.

Have searched for hours to find what it's called and so on and found something called Points of Engagement that I think is related to the issue.

So I paddle backwards and I think I can hear 15 clicks, so my question is does this hub only have 15 POE? (Points of Engagement), or is something not correct here?

POE has to do with how much the cog can rotate before it pulls the bike forward. 360* in a rotation / 15 points = up to 24* of free rotation. This concept is independent from the motor responsiveness

I have an Orbea Gain m20i with the x35 drive. Two of my friends with Orbea Gains have had damaged motor casings. One had it replaced under warranty by the dealer. The other just happened and I don't know the outcome yet. There is a thread on this forum that shows the same thing happened to two Ribble bikes with this drive.
So my questions are:
1. Is this a known fault with the ebike motion motor?
2. Other than warranty replacements is any action being taken by Mahle?
3. Has there been any indication that Mahle knows what the cause is? Does anyone know what the cause is?
The Gains come with Mavic wheels. Even though I have put on many more miles (over 17,000 so far) than my friends I have not had this problem, but have had drive side spokes break. I finally replaced all of them after discussing it with the dealer.

I have an Orbea Gain m20i with the x35 drive. Two of my friends with Orbea Gains have had damaged motor casings. One had it replaced under warranty by the dealer. The other just happened and I don't know the outcome yet. There is a thread on this forum that shows the same thing happened to two Ribble bikes with this drive.
So my questions are:
1. Is this a known fault with the ebike motion motor?
2. Other than warranty replacements is any action being taken by Mahle?
3. Has there been any indication that Mahle knows what the cause is? Does anyone know what the cause is?
The Gains come with Mavic wheels. Even though I have put on many more miles (over 17,000 so far) than my friends I have not had this problem, but have had drive side spokes break. I finally replaced all of them after discussing it with the dealer.

What exactly is the damage with the casing? Do you mean the hub body, or the hub flange?
The earlier iteration of X35 had a concentric flange and it had some issues breaking off due to stresses from the spoke attachment.
They fixed this with the X35+ which had this radial flange which are designed to be stronger.
This then would constitute a known issue and should be warranty-eligible

1626777831260.png

1626777927857.png

Hi All,
I have recently bought a Cannondale Gravel bike fitted with an Ebikemotion. Working OK (the app is very clunky - having to go to settings to tap Connect every time etc. ) but the issue I want to pick brains on is this.
Riding along in Green (usually but may do same in Orange - not sure) and I come to a rise in the road. Seems hard work so check and find it is now in White (no drive). So I am assuming that the 'system' is seeing that I have been either 'freewheeling' or riding faster than the limit (I am in UK so 25kph) for more than a time setting so has reset me to White (sort of neutral) or there is a fault somewhere. No error codes are involved in this at all. Once I have changed it back to Green I have drive and can get up the rise OK. It hasn't done this going into White (as far as I can recall) while I am 'under drive' so I am sure it is more of a 'coasting / nuetral' thing.
While I am at it does anyone know what power is output under Green, Orange, Red all at 100%? I would like to remap Green to about 50% of its power and then have Orange and Red in logical steps of power so that I can use the different power settings a bit like gears.

Hi All,
I have recently bought a Cannondale Gravel bike fitted with an Ebikemotion. Working OK (the app is very clunky - having to go to settings to tap Connect every time etc. ) but the issue I want to pick brains on is this.
Riding along in Green (usually but may do same in Orange - not sure) and I come to a rise in the road. Seems hard work so check and find it is now in White (no drive). So I am assuming that the 'system' is seeing that I have been either 'freewheeling' or riding faster than the limit (I am in UK so 25kph) for more than a time setting so has reset me to White (sort of neutral) or there is a fault somewhere. No error codes are involved in this at all. Once I have changed it back to Green I have drive and can get up the rise OK. It hasn't done this going into White (as far as I can recall) while I am 'under drive' so I am sure it is more of a 'coasting / nuetral' thing.
While I am at it does anyone know what power is output under Green, Orange, Red all at 100%? I would like to remap Green to about 50% of its power and then have Orange and Red in logical steps of power so that I can use the different power settings a bit like gears.
Sounds strange I think, it should not change to level white by it self. Once you put it in green orange red it should stay there, thats my experince so far.

I did some seach of power thing but couldent find anything, dont know if this part of text is helpful from Q&A, i paste it in anyway...
"Is the amount of assistance supplied by each individual assistance level configurable? Yes, by default each motor map is set to 100%. You can adjust these motor maps in the Ebikemotion app so that the motor limits the amount of available power based on a percentage of 250W max output. The map takes its reference points off 5, 10,15,20 and 25km/h speed points."

Still no
olution to the main question. Mmmmm........
Still, on the second point, I had this reply from Mahle.
"..........
Support level 1 is around 100 Wh, level 2 around 175 Wh and level 3 250 Wh support.
These predefined Wh for each level can also be changed in the app under: Settings, Motor Maps.

Should you be interested in additional Information, you can find them in the end user manual which I have included in the attachment.

Best regards

Andrea

MAHLE Smartbike Systems"

Just to confuse further, yesterday did 55 miles or so and, you guessed it, zero occurences as I described.

Still no
olution to the main question. Mmmmm........
Still, on the second point, I had this reply from Mahle.
"..........
Support level 1 is around 100 Wh, level 2 around 175 Wh and level 3 250 Wh support.
These predefined Wh for each level can also be changed in the app under: Settings, Motor Maps.

Should you be interested in additional Information, you can find them in the end user manual which I have included in the attachment.

Best regards

Andrea

MAHLE Smartbike Systems"

Just to confuse further, yesterday did 55 miles or so and, you guessed it, zero occurences as I described.
Hi everyone, I own a WilierCento1hybrid equipped with an Ebikemotion mid drive motor X35+ and till today with about 4500 km. For sure the switch from levels is not automatic and not linked to speed or gear...as alternative to the Iwoch one installed on the horizontal tube it's possible to add the new PulsarOne bike computer which allow sequential switches up and down. The different level of assistance are set as 30% level 1-60% level 2-100 % level 3 .In other words ,if levels kept as standard setup ,75 watt -150 watt-250 watt ...Enjoy your ride

Hi, in relation to cutting out. I have searched this Electric Bike Review site and there are comments in the Orbea section as well as the Wilier section I believe. Perhaps what may be best is if anyone has any issues with Ebikemotion motors and systems that they post them here in "

Known Issues & Problems with Ebikemotion Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes​

rather than all the different makes of bike. After all it is the motor and system that is of interest.

Hi guys I am new and I have Bianchi aria e road and I added ebike motions range extender and randomly today when plugged in charging it started flashing pink and the charger light is green and I know that it’s dead so just trying to find answers on how to fix this ?

Hi guys I am new and I have Bianchi aria e road and I added ebike motions range extender and randomly today when plugged in charging it started flashing pink and the charger light is green and I know that it’s dead so just trying to find answers on how to fix this ?
Had a similar issue--connected extender would flash purple/pink when depleted then prevent me from changing assist levels on a ride (per some online advice, I unplugged the extender from the charge port then turned my main system off and back on. That "reset" my system and all was good). Also on another front, on two occasions extender was charged off bike, unplugged when full, turned on 2 days later and would be depleted down to 15% - 18%. I saw some posting about similar issues and the solution was updating everything to current firmware. My LBS' Bianchi rep agreed so today I just had the extender and main battery updated. We'll see if that works.

Sounds strange I think, it should not change to level white by it self. Once you put it in green orange red it should stay there, thats my experince so far.

I did some seach of power thing but couldent find anything, dont know if this part of text is helpful from Q&A, i paste it in anyway...
"Is the amount of assistance supplied by each individual assistance level configurable? Yes, by default each motor map is set to 100%. You can adjust these motor maps in the Ebikemotion app so that the motor limits the amount of available power based on a percentage of 250W max output. The map takes its reference points off 5, 10,15,20 and 25km/h speed points."
I have a Ribble with x35 system and recently fitted a PulsarOne control/computer specifically to change power levels (I really hate the iWoc One single button). I find that although it works most of the time it will occasionally change levels by itself either up or down which is very annoying. This apparently is caused by out of date firmware in the eBikemotion system, as yet I've been unable to get Ribble to respond and tell me how I can get the firmware updated (it just needs some cables from Mahle and the right dealer software). I wonder if your problem is something like this? Do you have the single button controller or a PulsarOne or something like that? I never had a problem with assist level changing by by itself using the button but I have with wireless controllers like the PulsarOne and Garmin Remote.

I'm surprised you managed to get one, I searched everywhere. I've think I''ve narrowed the issue of it switching of to when I have been above 25kph or not pedalling for some time while using a range extender. Only really a problem when I start huffing and puffing on a slight slope only to realise it has gone to 'white'. Could be worse.....

I'm surprised you managed to get one, I searched everywhere. I've think I''ve narrowed the issue of it switching of to when I have been above 25kph or not pedalling for some time while using a range extender. Only really a problem when I start huffing and puffing on a slight slope only to realise it has gone to 'white'. Could be worse.....
Have you got a pulsar display yet, westbrookcycles.co.uk have them in stock

Hi, I have Ebikemotion X35 on a Ribble CGR-AL E, with an issue, whereby the system will not switch off. It simply goes off for around 30 seconds and comes back on again. I have ridden the bike in this state and everything works fine otherwise. I have re-charged the battery and after a full charge I get error code 193; however that has gone after the battery came off 100%. So far Ribble have been of little help.

Hello Everyone
If this question has been posted I apologized. Ok Starting with the Battery I have a 2021 Cannondale Super Six Neo and it just started I looked at the battery status It use to register 100 percent when its fully charged now its 99 percent. Yes I have compulsive issues I am sure its not a big deal I am talking 1 percent but can I make this correction? Also I noticed the battery temp was 81 degrees is this normal this is towards the end of the charge. With that said I love this darn bike I have a pre existing condition and this bike got me back riding with my group again and not worry about getting dropped too far.
Thank you

Attachments

• Cannondale.jpg
    Cannondale.jpg
    694 KB · Views: 212
Hello Everyone If this question has been posted I apologized. Ok Starting with the Battery I have a 2021 Cannondale Super Six Neo and it just started I looked at the battery status It use to register 100 percent when its fully charged now its 99 percent. Yes I have compulsive issues I am sure its not a big deal I am talking 1 percent but can I make this correction? Also I noticed the battery temp was 81 degrees is this normal this is towards the end of the charge. With that said I love this darn bike I have a pre existing condition and this bike got me back riding with my group again and not worry about getting dropped too far. Thank you

Hi sometimes my battery only does 99% but other occasions it does 100%
This is my second battery as first one dropped to low 80s on full charge

Back