Known Issues & Problems with Ebikemotion Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

No difference. When I try to make a route the screen slips back to the start

Have you downloaded a map? They are free for the first few months of registering the bike. Otherwise believe each map is a few Euros. I downloaded mine for free. Then on an update I lost it and now am required to pay? See what I mean about a useless app?

Got map. When I put my road in I scroll to somewhere to create a route but screen slips back. It is not steady so useless. Do not think it’s my phone

Got map. When I put my road in I scroll to somewhere to create a route but screen slips back. It is not steady so useless. Do not think it’s my phone

Would be very surprised if it was your phone? And that's why I don't use the app. It does though record any ride I do with great accuracy on the map, when comparing with my Mio 505.

Hi Stevenson,
I have exactly the same problem trying to use the sat nav. When attempting to plot to a point on the map, the map moves but as soon as I relese my finger it returns to th starting point. If I zoom out, it will let me pick a point, but due to the zoom factor I could be miles from the actual place I actually want.
The address input function is also tempremental. It requires the address to be entered in a format not typical to other sat nav apps, but does work well once you work it out.

Hi Stevenson,
I have exactly the same problem trying to use the sat nav. When attempting to plot to a point on the map, the map moves but as soon as I relese my finger it returns to th starting point. If I zoom out, it will let me pick a point, but due to the zoom factor I could be miles from the actual place I actually want.
The address input function is also tempremental. It requires the address to be entered in a format not typical to other sat nav apps, but does work well once you work it out.
Thanks. I cannot get the address thing going, any guidance?

Hi Stevenson,
There is a workaround.

The map seems to keep going back to where the blue dot tjat indicates your GPS location is.
I noticed that the blue dot pulses and i think it is the refresh rate.
At this point, if you turn off the location service on your device (you will get a couple of warnings flash up saying to turn it on, keep pressing the cancel option).
Now you can scroll the map anywhere, even taking your finger off the screen and can select your desired destination on the screen by pressing on it.
Once you have selected it, it will fill in the destination box,
At this point you turn location services back on and then press the route calculation button and the routes with options will be displayed
Select one and off you go.
Full turn by turn navigation with audible prompts.
Very clear and precise.
Did 2 routes yesterday.

Takes 30 seconds longer, and really shouldn't have to do it this way but it works and works very well once riding.

On Orbea Gain M10, only got it 2 days ago

hi just tried the workaroun. It appears to work. Will try again later. Brilliant well done
does your map show up full screen?

Hi, I had a strange issue. I have the extender but I rarely use it. Just to keep it in good shape I decided to charge my ebike with it . So after riding, I left extender charging at home, I plugged the recharged extender and a message “bms 201 in balance “ appeared in app . But bike battery was being charged ... at that moment bike was ok ... charging blinking as normal. When extender unplugged the app message disappears . So ok maybe extende problem ... later I plug the charger to the extender. Charging through the battery plugged to the frame the whole thing . So now the issue was going to the bike and a pink blinking light appeared and an app message “bms 193: cell over voltage” then bike didn’t work you couldn’t start normally no motor action ... pink blinking persistant... battery esa 93% and 41,2 voltage . So I emailed to customer email of my dealer informing about it and went to bed. At the next day I start the bike and after a little pink blinking light suddenly light became white , it was 93% charged from the last day . And extender battery was still attached to frame was about 45%. Opening app all was ok. I push extender button and Begins to charge and internal battery in one minute or so goes to hundred percent . Extender still in 44% or so. So for me maybe is a bms software problem ... as per I cannot use dealer app I must to pick it to dealer to check ... (which I don’t want given the covid situation) I attach some files for your information. Later I used bike to discharge till 70% I don’t like to leave fully charged as per I can be many days without using. I have more bikes, normal ones MTB and road which I use more.
Anyone had the same experience? I think it was caused by the extender as per I didn’t have this issue before . Maybe plugging and unplugging from charger without leaving time in the middle and connecting to bike caused issue so bms is like not being quickly managing things. I was charging extender and plugged to my bike which was 10% battery after riding... don’t know...

if light is not really pink sorry I have colour watching issues 😜 but that’s the pic...

Attachments

• D8D4B60A-EF6C-4C40-B8DA-123C522EE95C.jpeg
    D8D4B60A-EF6C-4C40-B8DA-123C522EE95C.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 778
  • 70FD4052-1960-4C6E-A1BB-8C928ACAE088.jpeg
    70FD4052-1960-4C6E-A1BB-8C928ACAE088.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 494
  • 45CAA939-3925-4045-AA24-C847999FE2EF.jpeg
    45CAA939-3925-4045-AA24-C847999FE2EF.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 417
  • EA253CC3-0BE6-47DB-A51F-40A5030FCF49.jpeg
    EA253CC3-0BE6-47DB-A51F-40A5030FCF49.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 448
  • FC5D7A32-45ED-4FB5-B5F4-86572B71FBDC.png
    FC5D7A32-45ED-4FB5-B5F4-86572B71FBDC.png
    623.3 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
Hi, I had a strange issue. I have the extender but I rarely use it. Just to keep it in good shape I decided to charge my ebike with it . So after riding, I left extender charging at home, I plugged the recharged extender and a message “bms 201 in balance “ appeared in app . But bike battery was being charged ... at that moment bike was ok ... charging blinking as normal. When extender unplugged the app message disappears . So ok maybe extende problem ... later I plug the charger to the extender. Charging through the battery plugged to the frame the whole thing . So now the issue was going to the bike and a pink blinking light appeared and an app message “bms 193: cell over voltage” then bike didn’t work you couldn’t start normally no motor action ... pink blinking persistant... battery esa 93% and 41,2 voltage . So I emailed to customer email of my dealer informing about it and went to bed. At the next day I start the bike and after a little pink blinking light suddenly light became white , it was 93% charged from the last day . And extender battery was still attached to frame was about 45%. Opening app all was ok. I push extender button and Begins to charge and internal battery in one minute or so goes to hundred percent . Extender still in 44% or so. So for me maybe is a bms software problem ... as per I cannot use dealer app I must to pick it to dealer to check ... (which I don’t want given the covid situation) I attach some files for your information. Later I used bike to discharge till 70% I don’t like to leave fully charged as per I can be many days without using. I have more bikes, normal ones MTB and road which I use more.
Anyone had the same experience? I think it was caused by the extender as per I didn’t have this issue before . Maybe plugging and unplugging from charger without leaving time in the middle and connecting to bike caused issue so bms is like not being quickly managing things. I was charging extender and plugged to my bike which was 10% battery after riding... don’t know...

if light is not really pink sorry I have colour watching issues 😜 but that’s the pic...
Yes... this is a 'known' problem with the first generation of extender batteries. (I say known... but I don't really know what caused the issue - I believe it is the board that is in the extender). I was able to get Orbea USA to give me a warranty replacement of the extender (that I processed through my original dealer). You dont say where you are located but the Orbea USA support guy that I spoke with had some charge cycle plan I had to try before they authorized the warranty replacement. Since that was about 5 months ago, I cant recall the details, but I believe it was to drain both batteries fully then charge to 100% by plugging the charging brick into the extender on the bike. It obviously took a while to drain the extender battery!

A few things I learned (since I also use the extender very rarely): The extenders like to be stored around 40-50% so I'm trying to remind myself to check the level periodically. I also found that I could ride the bike (and charge the main bike battery) in the pink flashing mode if I plugged the extender into the bike but turned the bike on first and selected the level before turning on the extender (vs turning it on via the extender button). I was also told by Orbea that the extenders like to be charged ON the bike (i.e. plugged into the bike) which helps it balance with the main battery). The pink flashing is a balancing error (not sure of the associated code). Mahle /EbikeMotion has been helpful in some cases via email but in this instance, I went through the manufacturer (Orbea and their USA subsidiary). Mahle is German but I was always under the impression the EBM was a Spanish entity but not 100% thats correct.

In my case there were no problems with the main bike battery with the extender unplugged, but I know that's not always the case. So hopefully the bike is still usable without the extender. I recommend calling the bike manufacturer.

Best of luck with getting this resolved. - E

Last edited:
Yes... this is a 'known' problem with the first generation of extender batteries. (I say known... but I don't really know what caused the issue - I believe it is the board that is in the extender). I was able to get Orbea USA to give me a warranty replacement of the extender (that I processed through my original dealer). You dont say where you are located but the Orbea USA support guy that I spoke with had some charge cycle plan I had to try before they authorized the warranty replacement. Since that was about 5 months ago, I cant recall the details, but I believe it was to drain both batteries fully then charge to 100% by plugging the charging brick into the extender on the bike. It obviously took a while to drain the extender battery!

A few things I learned (since I also use the extender very rarely): The extenders like to be stored around 40-50% so I'm trying to remind myself to check the level periodically. I also found that I could ride the bike (and charge the main bike battery) in the pink flashing mode if I plugged the extender into the bike but turned the bike on first and selected the level before turning on the extender (vs turning it on via the extender button). I was also told by Orbea that the extenders like to be charged ON the bike (i.e. plugged into the bike) which helps it balance with the main battery). The pink flashing is a balancing error (not sure of the associated code). Mahle /EbikeMotion has been helpful in some cases via email but in this instance, I went through the manufacturer (Orbea and their USA subsidiary). Mahle is German but I was always under the impression the EBM was a Spanish entity but not 100% thats correct.

In my case there were no problems with the main bike battery with the extender unplugged, but I know that's not always the case. So hopefully the bike is still usable without the extender. I recommend calling the bike manufacturer.

Best of luck with getting this resolved. - E
I am glad I never bought one now!

For your information after some trouble shooting the issue is caused by the range extender. It's not a bike problem and I think is a false positive problem. But of course extender must be replaced to avoid that weir behavior when plugged to the bike. Cheers!

Hi
I have an Orbea Gain M20i and have ridden 3000 kilometres. I have a problem with the ebikemotion x35 drive train. I I have had the problem since new.

The problem occurs when
1. The bike is going over 40kph
2. I am pedalling with some pressure on the pedals.
3. If I then back pedal the cassette seems to momentarily catch and chain would do a momentarily jump.

The problem doesn't occur if I just stop pedalling, only if I am pedalling with at least a little pressure on the pedals and then back pedal (not just stop pedalling).

I have had my Orbea dealer check it. He didn't find anything wrong but did adjust the drive train, and including increasing the chain tension. The adjustment did help ; the chain doesn't jump as much but it still occurs.

Has anyone any suggestions on what the problem can be?
Chris

I've had a persistent fault with my Ribble hybrid AL E that uses the ebike motion system.

Despite the battery being fully charged, no power is provided to the motor - see screen shot - the app still functions and no error messages show in maintenance mode.

Screenshot_20200219-075438.png

Ribble have been pretty poor on diagnosing and repairing it, it's happened three times and communications are pretty poor with customer staff not knowing what the mechanics have done or even when the bike will be returned.

The nearest I've got to what is happening is that water ingress is shorting the battery via an un-used bike light contact. They said they'd taped it and have bodged some sort of resin to try and block holes into the battery down pipe. Given the poor comms I don't know is the actual cause as it doesn't explain why the battery is fully charged and reporting to the app.

Anyone had a similar issues? 🤷‍♂️

Back