Known Issues & Problems with Carbo Products + Help, Solutions, & Fixes

No Ebike is perfect. This is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Carbo as well as any help and solutions. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update, or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

I am considering purchasing the Carbo folding e-bike because it seems to offer great performance while being relatively light (compared to almost all other e-bikes) and at a reasonable cost. Folding has become my number one feature after having had 5+ bikes stolen in Vancouver, BC, including my e-bike recently. This with THREE locks on it including an ABUS! So being able to fold/keep with me everywhere is paramount. I would appreciate any existing owners who would be willing to contact me to share their experience with the bike, including reliability and service. Being a relatively new bike and company that ships direct- and without an EBR review yet - I would feel better hearing about how it stands up over time. Many thanks.

I am considering purchasing the Carbo folding e-bike because it seems to offer great performance while being relatively light (compared to almost all other e-bikes) and at a reasonable cost. Folding has become my number one feature after having had 5+ bikes stolen in Vancouver, BC, including my e-bike recently. This with THREE locks on it including an ABUS! So being able to fold/keep with me everywhere is paramount. I would appreciate any existing owners who would be willing to contact me to share their experience with the bike, including reliability and service. Being a relatively new bike and company that ships direct- and without an EBR review yet - I would feel better hearing about how it stands up over time. Many thanks.

Hey there! We actually just did a review of the bike if you'd to check that out, but mainly here to let you know we have one of our viewers, Gilmario, who got his bike a few days ago and is supposed to be keeping us updated on his experience, so hopefully, he'll let us know what his initial findings are. Being skeptical of newer companies shipping directly to consumers is a smart stance to have in the Ebike world :p Wishing you the best with your new folder.

I recently received my carbo after a 2 month wait. Excitedly I built it only to find out it won't power on. I thought maybe the battery was completely dead. I charged it overnight. Still won't power. Then randomly it powered on in the afternoon. After riding for 3 minutes it shut down automatically and hasn't been able to power on again since. This is so bizarre.. the fact that it worked for 3 minutes has me scratching my head. I tried charging it again, checked for loose wires... But still nothing. Wat to do?

I recently received my carbo after a 2 month wait. Excitedly I built it only to find out it won't power on. I thought maybe the battery was completely dead. I charged it overnight. Still won't power. Then randomly it powered on in the afternoon. After riding for 3 minutes it shut down automatically and hasn't been able to power on again since. This is so bizarre.. the fact that it worked for 3 minutes has me scratching my head. I tried charging it again, checked for loose wires... But still nothing. Wat to do?
Hey there! Wondering if you found a solution to this problem yet?

i am looking to get the Carbo but any owner will kindly comment or follow up their reliability or other problem .Thanks

Hello,

we ordered a Carbo x in november and received it 3 months later by the end of february and have a similar problem.The bike worked just fine and after a short period it just won't power up. That is to say, only the "walking-mode" (which allows a user to walk next to the bike and the motor will go up to 6km/hour) works. So I wonder how your problem was resolved in the end and how long it took?

At this point we lost all trust in Carbo since we made a support-ticket weeks ago and kept returning with very slow answers and demanding tests, video's,pictures and detailed description of the problem.
Finally after a few weeks they came up with the solution of sending out a controller and a torque (which we should replace ourselves) and after a week of silence, not knowing if the parts were send out, which we kept asking about,
to come up with a new idea : We want you to run an extra test to be sure we got the problem right and will let you know later. So, not only they did n't send out the parts but they let us wait (after allready waiting for a solution for more than 3 weeks) to let us know which new extra test they want us to perform...

grz

I’ve been having so many issues with my Carbo and I’ve only had it for 2 months or so. After having issues with assembly, the company told me they would replace it. After two weeks, they changed their mind and told me to bring it to a shop and they would fix it. Now I’m having issues with the pedals and they are making me do all this troubleshooting that takes over 2 weeks back and forth because of how their after sale support works- it’s painful.

now my back break is having issues- I’ve barely been on this bike and the amount of issues I’ve had to date is crazy. I want to like this bike so bad but I’m struggling to justify the cost.

Ok, I see similar experiences with how after sales works at Carbo's. and I must concur that their communication is slow, sometimes contradictionary and frustrating since I could make out myself from day one that replacing the controller would probably do the trick. They kept on asking new information and I had to make a new video and so on. But I must say when they finally decided to approve to send the parts (controller and torque) it was sent out with ups-express all the way from China and only a few days later it arrived all the way to our place in Belgium. Replacing the controller was not very difficult with the nice instructional video's they have. The bike powered op normally with the new controller and has been working fine for the past 6 weeks. Fingers crossed. This said it the riding experience and the functionality and further are well meeting expectation !

I've clocked 1000 miles on my Carbo S and it still works like day one. The best features:

1. Super lightweight Japanese carbon fiber, only 31 lbs. Folds good enough to bring it indoors or put it in the trunk of a car
2. Very powerful 350w motor that jolts you up to 20 mph in a couple of seconds.
3. Amazing 40 mile battery range with the 10.5 Ah battery.
4. Easy to optimize the appropriate pedal resistance with the 9 gears and 4 pedal assist levels
5. Once you hit 20 mph, the pedal assist stops, but it starts right back up again almost immediately. On my Go Cycle GX there is a terrible lag before the pedal assist starts back up..

Overall, I much prefer the Carbo S over my Go Cycle GX. Primarily for the throttle power and lightness.

Any further news about the Carbo X? I have one with a working pedal assist but non-working throttle. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Hi CNT. Check your connections, and if you're electrically inclined, measure the throttle output with a voltmeter. Should vary from 1.4 to 4.4 volts. If not, you can replace it. If the voltage is right, then your controller is bummed out.

Reactions: CNT
I ordered Carbo X with upgraded motor and battery in April 20, 2021 but it's not shipped yet. Has anyone waited this long to get your Carbo order? I'm beginning to feel that I've been had. I hope I'm wrong.

There's a guy in a facebook group I'm in that ordered his Carbo in March and was told to expect it at the end of this month. Five months.

I ordered a regular bike from China in December, and that took five months, shipped via DHL.

There's a guy in a facebook group I'm in that ordered his Carbo in March and was told to expect it at the end of this month. Five months.

I ordered a regular bike from China in December, and that took five months, shipped via DHL.
Thank you HarryS. That gives me some relief. Carbo's management should have revealed that time frame instead of the 60 days shipping in their sales order receipt.

April,I got my bike from Carbro ,CarbroX model , straight stem , basic battery(250W), weight about 29Lb .Bike ride solid , well made , good quality parts .
Slight delate in delivery because of not available upgrade parts .Ride had been smooth & solid ,motor noise is low in lower power (1-2).more noise from 3-5;max out in 16m/h .only initial sqk noise was coming from the belt ,after a few customer exchange
w WD40 resolve the issue. There is still occasional noise (unknow origin ) from the bottom bracket I cannot 100% local where it is from . Otherwise , bike ride very smooth
very easy to fold compare most of other folder i had . This is indeed lighter & easy to carry up ,in & out of the car or any maintenance. I upgrade carbon handlebar & lighter bike peddle removed bike stand .The Hydraulic brake is good .Seat is upgraded to lighter .Through & Through it worth the price for a Carbon frame & fork !so fast custom service .They have some video support from their forum. Wish they have parts like the empty seat post which has a very large 46mm DIAM (u cannot find any adaptor ring for it ) need custom 3D print ,if anyone can help me make one ,willing to pay ,let me know . so I can use a much lighter seat post to drop the bike weight to 27lbs,for a regular bike riding . There are a few other companies made used a similar frame but I don't think they have a carbon folk .

Attachments

• 20210513crbroX.jpg
    20210513crbroX.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 347
By the way it did take long for the order if any for Carbo ,it's like order is from Canada then to China & made then send to Canada then to US. I may be wrong .

By the way it did take long for the order if any for Carbo ,it's like order is from Canada then to China & made then send to Canada then to US. I may be wrong .
You are right. They process orders in Canada but assemble and ship from China. They ship full containers (about 38 boxed bikes fit in a container) from China to North America or Europe, clear customs, then ship individual boxes by courier to your door. They say they are having problems getting some parts and have delays getting containers and booking space on ships due high demand after COVID-19 supply chain disruptions.

I ordered a bike with upgrades from Carbo on June 7th and they are now saying I might get it by the end of August. They do tell you that customizing your Carbo will add 40 days to the lead time but don't tell you it normally takes 2 months to ship to North America.

Last edited:
I ordered my CARBO S June 7th and finally received it today October 7th. Carbo posts shipping updates around the 1st and 15th of every month so you can sort of follow your order from China to North America. The container has to go to Montreal and be unloaded at their warehouse. Each box is opened, contents checked, resealed, and then shipped by courier to your door. Their quality control check missed that I ordered a teal colour and they shipped me black! The seat rails also do not line up with the guides on top of the battery post. I have almost finished assembly but if anyone has a fix for the seat please post a reply.

Attachments

• 20211007_170655.jpg
    20211007_170655.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 334
I ordered my CARBO S June 7th and finally received it today October 7th. Carbo posts shipping updates around the 1st and 15th of every month so you can sort of follow your order from China to North America. The container has to go to Montreal and be unloaded at their warehouse. Each box is opened, contents checked, resealed, and then shipped by courier to your door. Their quality control check missed that I ordered a teal colour and they shipped me black! The seat rails also do not line up with the guides on top of the battery post. I have almost finished assembly but if anyone has a fix for the seat please post a reply.
Glad that you received your Carbo S although not exactly as you ordered. I'm still waiting for my Carbo X and it's almost 6 months since I placed my order. 😔

Back