Known Issues & Problems with Biktrix Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I tried asking Biktrix what they used but they wouldn't give me any answers, which was a pain... It would take like a minute to either answer me or say they don't know but they just straight up ignored me!

For anyone else having this problem in the future, I ended up using this deeper tool from FasterBikes (https://bit.ly/2Lx3ytZ). Using this socket with a 30 inch breaker bar made short work of it!

Sorry we couldn't get you the answer you hoped for. In-house, we made our own tool. This is a good find!

I tried asking Biktrix what they used but they wouldn't give me any answers, which was a pain... It would take like a minute to either answer me or say they don't know but they just straight up ignored me!

For anyone else having this problem in the future, I ended up using this deeper tool from FasterBikes (https://bit.ly/2Lx3ytZ). Using this socket with a 30 inch breaker bar made short work of it!

Now I'm curious to learn how you contacted us!! Nice tool find.

I received my Juggernaut Ultra 1000 just 10 days ago and I’m already having headaches.

I placed a custom order with a rigid fork, however I wasn’t provided the correct bolts to attach the front fender and headlight to the rigid fork.

My Bafang LCD display mount was broken upon arrival. Biktrix is in the process of shipping me a new one.

I also noticed that the bike was not shifting... at all. I went into my local bike shop and they told me that my rear derailleur is missing the bolt/screw that holds the cable in place which allows the bike to shift gears. So I’m stuck riding in the lowest gear.

I’m sure the bike will be great once i get these things taken care of, it’s just really disappointing to have these issues with a bike I just dropped $4k on.

I received my Juggernaut Ultra 1000 just 10 days ago and I’m already having headaches.

I placed a custom order with a rigid fork, however I wasn’t provided the correct bolts to attach the front fender and headlight to the rigid fork.

My Bafang LCD display mount was broken upon arrival. Biktrix is in the process of shipping me a new one.

I also noticed that the bike was not shifting... at all. I went into my local bike shop and they told me that my rear derailleur is missing the bolt/screw that holds the cable in place which allows the bike to shift gears. So I’m stuck riding in the lowest gear.

I’m sure the bike will be great once i get these things taken care of, it’s just really disappointing to have these issues with a bike I just dropped $4k on.

Did you contact [email protected] about the front fender bolts when you did about the LCD display? Is the bike shop not able to find a M4 bolt for the derailleur cable?

Apologies for the issues. Rest assured, we'll get these sorted out for you.

Did you contact [email protected] about the front fender bolts when you did about the LCD display? Is the bike shop not able to find a M4 bolt for the derailleur cable?

Apologies for the issues. Rest assured, we'll get these sorted out for you.
Thanks Roshan, you actually contacted me personally via text message when I first placed my order and I appreciate that. I don’t entirely fault Biktrix for these issues, it just can be frustrating.

Wondering if anyone knows how many link in a chair I would need for a 495mm chain stay is a standard size chain long enough or do I need a special or custom one I have the 2020 ultra fs it's an 11 speed chain

Wondering if anyone knows how many link in a chair I would need for a 495mm chain stay is a standard size chain long enough or do I need a special or custom one I have the 2020 ultra fs it's an 11 speed chain

You'll definitely need more than what comes in a standard chain package, in my experience. I always buy two, and use the second chain for the short pieces... Then next chain replacement, I only buy one length and then use small chunk from that second chain again.

Exact chain length, is calculated from three values: chainstay length, biggest rear cog size, and front chainring size. If you know all 3, plus the type of derailleur you've got, then it's easy to figure out... Although I still find that even with Shimano or Sram guidelines specific to their derailleurs, you might remove one more link than recommended (which should come off the short chain piece, rather than cutting up the main length of chain).

You'll definitely need more than what comes in a standard chain package, in my experience. I always buy two, and use the second chain for the short pieces... Then next chain replacement, I only buy one length and then use small chunk from that second chain again.

Exact chain length, is calculated from three values: chainstay length, biggest rear cog size, and front chainring size. If you know all 3, plus the type of derailleur you've got, then it's easy to figure out... Although I still find that even with Shimano or Sram guidelines specific to their derailleurs, you might remove one more link than recommended (which should come off the short chain piece, rather than cutting up the main length of chain).
Awesome thank you I ended up finding a longer one on Amazon it was expensive but it had 136 links and counted 126 in mine and most standards are 116 links do you use multiple quick links in one chain? I have always been told to only ever use one link in a chain

I saw a video on youtube where Seth made a whole chain from master links and had no problems with it . Seths bike hacks .

I encourage you to not only file a complaint as above, but post your experience on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Just create a blurb and/or a meme and have it ready for whenever you see their adds, then copy/paste. If enough people do this, maybe Biktrix will change their HEINOUS RIPOFF return policy and maybe even make that Return Policy easy to find and understand on their website.

What started as a love-affair with Biktrix during the ordering phase, has turned into a nightmare.
Firstly: Ryan isn't a part owner of Biktrix. You're definitely wrong on that.

Second: have you tried replacing the chain? We could buy you a replacement. Or if your LBS replaces it, we can reimburse you for it. Just send us the receipt.

Third: our terms of service is literally on every page of our website. Just scroll to the bottom and click terms of service.

Fourth: there is no way to buy any product off our website without explicitly clicking "I agree to the terms" which links you to the terms. You can test this out by simply adding an item to cart and trying to checkout you'll see the checkbox.

Fifth: returning a bike is the last option once all other options have been exhausted. If you haven't tried replacing a chain, we haven't even tried to solve this issue.

Sixth: check the chain to see what broke. If it's the same link or a different link. Perhaps you have a kinked link. These can be replaced by a speed link if you don't want to replace the entire chain for environmental reasons.

Seventh: shipping dangerous goods like ebikes isn't cheap. It costs us $400+ each way. This is why there is a return fee involved. If you ship the bike back to us at your cost, we can waive the restocking fee. We do recommend insuring it when you send it back as we find that there are lots of damage on bikes during freight if they are not packed properly. Our return address is Biktrix, Attn: RMA Eric Ryder, 632 Ave N S, Saskatoon, SK, S7M 2N7, Canada. Please make sure it is shipped DDP (Duties paid). That said, if replacing the chain solves your issue, it'll be the fastest way to get you back up and running.

Eighth: Rad bike also charges a 25% restocking fee and $200 shipping fee. Read their policy here: https://radpowerbikes.ca/pages/terms-of-purchase
Not sure why you thought it was free.

Ninth: look at how many options for a bike is offered by Rad or others and how many are offered by us. That's because our bikes are custom built to your order. Custom built products seldom come with no restocking fees.

Tenth: class action - you must have been watching a bit too much TV. Consult with your lawyer and he'll explain to you what I mean. Tip: talk to a lawyer you haven't hired yet, so the first free consultation would cover it rather than paying for it and being disappointed. While you're at it, ask them about contract law and what it means when you explicitly accepted our terms of service on our website contract prior to purchase.

Lastly, sorry for your inconvenience and I'm sure we can solve your issue. Breaking chain isn't a major problem that can't be solved.
When you buy a bike anywhere, online or offline, issues like this are bound to happen. If this issue had happened on a bike that you bought at a LBS, I'm sure you'd at least let them replace the chain. That's all we're asking you the opportunity to do. If you think that's unreasonable and our return policy is unreasonable and prefer going to BBB over it, sure, we can send them a copy of this reply too.

PS: I own Biktrix. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thousands of happy customers here: https://facebook.com/groups/1136802453086982/

Last edited:
I encourage you to not only file a complaint as above, but post your experience on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Just create a blurb and/or a meme and have it ready for whenever you see their adds, then copy/paste. If enough people do this, maybe Biktrix will change their HEINOUS RIPOFF return policy and maybe even make that Return Policy easy to find and understand on their website.

What started as a love-affair with Biktrix during the ordering phase, has turned into a nightmare.
All I can say is....This is one of the finest customer service Ebike companies that I've ever dealt with. Being in business myself, I can't imagine how they can get any done with the volume of people. .... I guess for some it would take too much time to put it in writing as there are many avenues to do so.

I look at this way.....They do great job with the volume of people they are dealing with in returning calls, emails, forums, etc, etc and probably should not even waste time in taking calls....Just put a recorded message on telling customers to put it in writing.

I give them a 10+ and getting ready to place a sizeable order because of how Biktrix responds to their customers!!!!

Last edited:
This customer has spammed all over the internet. Even on other unrelated companies Facebook pages. And all he needed was a new chain.

Buyers' remorse is no excuse to throw a fit. I'm sure Roshan would send you a new chain but I think you just changed your mind on what you want. Not his responsibility.

Makes me want to buy a Biktrix more... except for 2 things:

1. Need a lighter bike than the Swift Lite
2. Need the display to read MPH not KPH :)

For those who tried returning a defective bike from Biktrix, or got the bike and found it just wasn't right for their size, or whatever.... I'm looking into a Class Action Lawsuit. But for starters, here's my Better Business Bureau complaint, just filed in Canada:

BBB of Saskatchewan
980 Albert Street
Regina, SK S4R 2P7
(306)352-7601
[email protected]

Order # 5536. Model: Stunner X. Dealt with Ryan Barber, partial owner of Biktrix, to try and come to resolution. Total cost: $2,988.00 USD, by credit card payment.

The chain on the bike broke within the first 5 miles. I had to haul the bike to a bike shop for repair and inspection. They could not determine any issues with the chain itself, or any part of the drive train. The chain was repaired and test driven carefully. The chain broke again almost immediately. The bike was taken to a different bike shop, 20 miles away, for a second opinion. The result was the same: No issues found with the chain or drive train. The chain was repaired. In talks with Ryan Barber, it was determined that there was no "driver error" here, as well. If there was, then the bike would have had to have been deficient to allow the chain to snap, anyway. The bike was also determined to not be large enough to handle the primary rider, who is 6'4". Ryan's position was to stubbornly refuse to accept return of the bike, or to make it so outrageously expensive as to cost $1,000 or more for its return.

Ryan pointed to the Terms of Service, wherein was buried the Return Policy. Nowhere on the site was there a clear link to anything called "Return Policy". Who would ever consider looking to a Terms of Service link, at the bottom of the web page, in a dark gray area? Clearly, this is an attempt to hide the HEINOUS requirements and costs of returning a bike to Biktrix, for fear of losing sales.

In an incredible first in my entire long life, I have NEVER seen a company that supplied "free shipping", demand reimbursement of this "free shipping" if the product is returned - especially considering there is EVERY chance that there is a defect in what was sold! That this is a warranty issue, and a defective unit sold to the consumer. Biktrix also requires the consumer pay for packing the bike for return, ($160 USD), and demands the bike be packed IN THE ORIGINAL BOX. Of which was destroyed by the bike shop during assembly. Biktrix demands $100 to replace the box if it's not returned in the original box. They also want at least $100 more for "inspection" of the bike for damage, along with copious pictures to be taken during the packing process.

But the real kicker is the "re-stocking fee" of 15%. Or an additional $448. This for a bike with less than 10 miles on it, that is likely defective from the factory. Shipping is quoted as being likely $300-400". Ryan offered to give up the restocking fee, but really just renamed it an "inspection fee". $200 for the new box and inspection fee. And the bike has to be in "mint" condition. Strongly worded about that. so we're talking between $800 and $1,100 to return this bike, with no assurances that they won't just throw in whatever arbitrary fees they feel like throwing in.

This is GREED. Please look at Rad Power Bikes Return Policy - easily found on THEIR website - for an apples-to-apples comparison. Both companies started on Kickstarter. Both sell the same products. But Rad's return policy is FREE SHIPPING back to them and NO re-stocking fee. No paying for a $100 BOX.

Biktrix has failed to include a Cost of Returns in their business model, and is screwing their customers as a result. They don't want a return to cost them ONE SINGLE PENNY, yet let their CUSTOMERS get stuck paying $1,000 or more to return a bike that doesn't fit them or is defective. This is highway ROBBERY.
I read your post and had a hunch your problem was very likely caused by incorrect shifting. Lots of people on high powered ebikes seem to think they can remain in highest gear(smallest cog) no matter what power level they are using. The reason this is bad is because you put immense strain on the chain due to the torque and rider weight which stretches the chain until well... it snaps. You need to shift when appropriate and learn what gear to be in just like a manual shifting car.

I checked your previous posts and indeed you even say yourself that you leave the bike in 7th gear and pedal easily no matter what speed your traveling. This is the cause of your problem.

Below is your own quote:

“ Old thread, but...FYI, I have been riding hub motor eBikes for a few years now. I just purchased my first mid-drive motor eBike, and, for me, it's not something I'm enjoying. Besides breaking two chains within the first mile I rode the bike - two weeks in the shop between breaks - I don't like the way it shifts and how much work you have to do. the hub motor is all about just kicking back and riding. I leave it in the highest gear - 7th - and just pedal easily - but not too easily - and use the throttle at the same time. Now I have to sell the mid-drive eBike cuz it'll cost a fortune to send it back, and to get it boxed to ship. not to mention the hassle. Ugh.”

In this case it’s user (you) error not the ebike being defective. Even in a hub motor you will be snapping chains due to your incorrect shifting. Only difference is instead of if snapping in 5 miles it would snap in 10 miles. Maybe you should look at an e-motorcycle because all ebikes require the rider to shift and pedal with some moderate effort.

Last edited:
I read your post and had a hunch your problem was very likely caused by incorrect shifting. Lots of people on high powered ebikes seem to think they can remain in highest gear(smallest cog) no matter what power level they are using. The reason this is bad is because you put immense strain on the chain due to the torque and rider weight which stretches the chain until well... it snaps. You need to shift when appropriate and learn what gear to be in just like a manual shifting car.

I checked your previous posts and indeed you even say yourself that you leave the bike in 7th gear and pedal easily no matter what speed your traveling. This is the cause of your problem.

Below is your own quote:

“ Old thread, but...FYI, I have been riding hub motor eBikes for a few years now. I just purchased my first mid-drive motor eBike, and, for me, it's not something I'm enjoying. Besides breaking two chains within the first mile I rode the bike - two weeks in the shop between breaks - I don't like the way it shifts and how much work you have to do. the hub motor is all about just kicking back and riding. I leave it in the highest gear - 7th - and just pedal easily - but not too easily - and use the throttle at the same time. Now I have to sell the mid-drive eBike cuz it'll cost a fortune to send it back, and to get it boxed to ship. not to mention the hassle. Ugh.”

In this case it’s user (you) error not the ebike being defective. Even in a hub motor you will be snapping chains due to your incorrect shifting. Only difference is instead of if snapping in 5 miles it would snap in 10 miles. Maybe you should look at an e-motorcycle because all ebikes require the rider to shift and pedal with some moderate effort.
I had missed this detail. Yes, not using the gears properly would indeed cause driveline issues.

Firstly: Ryan isn't a part owner of Biktrix. You're definitely wrong on that.

Second: have you tried replacing the chain? We could buy you a replacement. Or if your LBS replaces it, we can reimburse you for it. Just send us the receipt.

Third: our terms of service is literally on every page of our website. Just scroll to the bottom and click terms of service.

Fourth: there is no way to buy any product off our website without explicitly clicking "I agree to the terms" which links you to the terms. You can test this out by simply adding an item to cart and trying to checkout you'll see the checkbox.

Fifth: returning a bike is the last option once all other options have been exhausted. If you haven't tried replacing a chain, we haven't even tried to solve this issue.

Sixth: check the chain to see what broke. If it's the same link or a different link. Perhaps you have a kinked link. These can be replaced by a speed link if you don't want to replace the entire chain for environmental reasons.

Seventh: shipping dangerous goods like ebikes isn't cheap. It costs us $400+ each way. This is why there is a return fee involved. If you ship the bike back to us at your cost, we can waive the restocking fee. We do recommend insuring it when you send it back as we find that there are lots of damage on bikes during freight if they are not packed properly. Our return address is Biktrix, Attn: RMA Eric Ryder, 632 Ave N S, Saskatoon, SK, S7M 2N7, Canada. Please make sure it is shipped DDP (Duties paid). That said, if replacing the chain solves your issue, it'll be the fastest way to get you back up and running.

Eighth: Rad bike also charges a 25% restocking fee and $200 shipping fee. Read their policy here: https://radpowerbikes.ca/pages/terms-of-purchase
Not sure why you thought it was free.

Ninth: look at how many options for a bike is offered by Rad or others and how many are offered by us. That's because our bikes are custom built to your order. Custom built products seldom come with no restocking fees.

Tenth: class action - you must have been watching a bit too much TV. Consult with your lawyer and he'll explain to you what I mean. Tip: talk to a lawyer you haven't hired yet, so the first free consultation would cover it rather than paying for it and being disappointed. While you're at it, ask them about contract law and what it means when you explicitly accepted our terms of service on our website contract prior to purchase.

Lastly, sorry for your inconvenience and I'm sure we can solve your issue. Breaking chain isn't a major problem that can't be solved.
When you buy a bike anywhere, online or offline, issues like this are bound to happen. If this issue had happened on a bike that you bought at a LBS, I'm sure you'd at least let them replace the chain. That's all we're asking you the opportunity to do. If you think that's unreasonable and our return policy is unreasonable and prefer going to BBB over it, sure, we can send them a copy of this reply too.

PS: I own Biktrix. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thousands of happy customers here: https://facebook.com/groups/1136802453086982/
I've responded to you personally on this issue and appreciate your help in resolving it. I won't go through the points above, as I've explained them to you privately. There is definitely some misunderstanding and miscommunication on these points - on both sides here. Suffice to say, I think we have a respectful resolution, and I am confident that I will be as much of a fan of Biktrix - as a company, your products, and your Support - as I was before this issue came up.

One of the kit weak spots is the speed sensor, poor placement and mediocre build are both issues. I will never be without a back up replacement in my tool box. Along with a throttle. Both are cheap. California ebikes ships by first class mail. Best price.
Could you please give the speed sensor part number and source? Spare throttle too?

That also looks like a much better tool, though it's going to need more leverage (or a good impact tool) to get er done. I had to use a custom tool with a 1/2" impact gun to get that PITA ring off there.
Is there a special tool needed to remove the gear cassette as well?

Back