Known Issues & Problems with Biktrix Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Biktrix as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Shipping condition of new Biktrix bikes is an issue that has popped up more than once. How has the company responded? Are you seeing improvements in the boxes & packing materials?

That also can happen with Bafang motors and some frames. Being able to make a motor that mounts problem fee with scores, perhaps thousands of different frames is quite the task. Unfortunately failures are how makers and kit builders learn. That said, the way the TSDZ2 fits on my frame makes it impossible for this to happen. I'm sorry to read you had to find out the hard way that this could happen with your frame. Would you be kind enough to post a picture showing more of the Frame and motor? Was the motor not snug and the torque made it swing up and bang the down tube? What model and brand of bike? This was the case with some BBSxx installs and sometimes a block is needed, or the motor mounts need to be tightened.

Thanks for the post and the awareness!

I made the video I posted above detailing the damage. It's a Yuba Mundo V4. The Rubber piece I inserted seems to be doing the job of protecting the frame and preventing further damage. I take full responsibility for not inspecting the way the motor was pressed up against the frame when I did the installation. It was my first conversion and I had no idea the motor torque pushed it up against the frame like that.

I also have another video of the full conversion on my channel.

Just posting so other people are aware, and plan accordingly.

Cheers!

I'm getting error code 21H on the dpc 14 it's a speed sensor code not sure what I need to do
One of the kit weak spots is the speed sensor, poor placement and mediocre build are both issues. I will never be without a back up replacement in my tool box. Along with a throttle. Both are cheap. California ebikes ships by first class mail. Best price.

Checking last months sales, we sold more speed sensors than any other parts. Many each week. But installation is most of the problem, once I figured out the right orientation I haven't had as many replacements on my bikes.. NO plastic gears in a month!

I'm trying to remove the bottom bracket lockring from my Biktrix Ultra 1000 so I can get the motor off to replace a clutch failed inside. The problem I have is that my normal bottom bracket socket isn't deep enough to get a good grip on the lockring, as the axel and chainring get in the way (not sure I'm describing this right, pic: )

I took it to my local bike shop and they had no luck either. They told me the only tool they know that is deep enough to reach the lockring without the axel getting in the way is made by Luna (https://lunacycle.com/bafang-mid-drive-installation-tool-kit/) but it's out of stock. They have it bundled with a torque wrench, but then it would cost me >$100...

Anyone have any experience with this, know any alternatives? Thanks!

Somebody really needs to supply these tools reliably, it's inevitable that owners will want to service their bikes... As I mentioned I couldn't find a reliable supplier either, so I ended up making my own tooling for this.

They told me the only tool they know that is deep enough to reach the lockring without the axel getting in the way is made by Luna (https://lunacycle.com/bafang-mid-drive-installation-tool-kit/) but it's out of stock.
I had that same tool and found it was not deep enough on some builds so I sold it. I now use this tool which is quite deep. Search using the jpg name YC-29BB. http://bfy.tw/OOae Frankly, I'd be disappointed in an LBS with so little awareness of available tools. Many of the Shimano sockets are deeper than the Luna/Bafang was. BTW a complete set was under $55 and included 2 sockets and a locknut wrench.

Attachments

• YC-29BB-2A.jpg
    YC-29BB-2A.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 637
That also looks like a much better tool, though it's going to need more leverage (or a good impact tool) to get er done. I had to use a custom tool with a 1/2" impact gun to get that PITA ring off there.

Why not get with Roshan you bike source and ask what he uses?
I tried asking Biktrix what they used but they wouldn't give me any answers, which was a pain... It would take like a minute to either answer me or say they don't know but they just straight up ignored me!

For anyone else having this problem in the future, I ended up using this deeper tool from FasterBikes (https://bit.ly/2Lx3ytZ). Using this socket with a 30 inch breaker bar made short work of it!

I tried asking Biktrix
I'm curious,
This comes off as if they are not providing service....

HOW did you try contacting Roshan and Biktrix?

!!!!!GREAT FIND!!!! Your socket is AU made BBB BTL-105

Last edited:
I tried asking Biktrix what they used but they wouldn't give me any answers, which was a pain... It would take like a minute to either answer me or say they don't know but they just straight up ignored me!

For anyone else having this problem in the future, I ended up using this deeper tool from FasterBikes (https://bit.ly/2Lx3ytZ). Using this socket with a 30 inch breaker bar made short work of it!

I'm dissapointed with Roshan, they should have helped you. Thanks for the link I just purchased one.

I'm dissapointed with Roshan,
Hello FeliZ! But we haven’t the whole story? A missed email? An unanswered phone call? This is why I dislike forum criticisms of dealers. We seldom, regardless of posters best intents, get the whole story and details. I actually communicated with a Biktrix support fellow and was also dissatisfied but never Perdue the issue to get the other side. I think that makes a difference. I’ve known Roshan for 5 years and always found him responsive. So much so that I tried to interject and sort why the failure. Have you had experience with him?

Last edited:
Back