Kickstand separation anxiety

Pay Jota

I was headed over to Home Depot to see if they could duplicate the key to my Rad Rover battery lock (they cant).

Anyway, as is my habit, I pull the bike into the store to stand it up next to the customer return desk.

No lower 2/3 of the kickstand.

Damn, it was just there in my garage when I left five minutes ago!

So, I doubled back and found it, unharmed.

Upon inspection, there is no set screw or bolt of any kind. Yer kidding! Appears it is pressed on and many some type of clear glue went in there.

Opinions on how to remedy this in the future?

I didn't realized they changed the kick stand for the Radrover. I have a 16 Radrover with an adjustable kickstand with a screw you can adjust the ebike lean. I adjusted my Radrover to stand more upright because it looked like it was leaning to one side too much. Is there a chance the screw just came out of the part you found on the road?

Sounds like it would be easy to change out the kick stand to the earlier rover version if Rad Power bikes has them in stock.

The triangular tubing of the kickstand that has the rubber "foot" has an Allen headed bolt that allows for adjusting the length of the "foot". But the other end that attaches to the kickstand "hinge" is simply glued in place. After only 350 miles of 98% level pavement, the glue has given way. That other 2% of driving was hard-packed dirt; not even rocky.

That Allen headed bolt could work to replace the glue if one could find the same rectangular, threaded piece of metal that stays inside the triangular tubing for the Allen bolt to thread into. And another bolt, of course. And a hole drilled, of course.

I'll probably try JB Weld or a hardening epoxy.

No chit!

Whatever glue they used, it wasn't much in terms of quantity or quality. Very thin coat. Translucent white.

I think I'm going to drill a hole through both triangular sections (one fits over the other), then go with a combo of JB Weld in the triangular overlap and JB Weld in the hole where I will insert a sheet metal screw. Maybe two screws. I cant see any reason to ever have to separate this joining. You can still remove the entire kickstand assembly and you can still adjust the kickstand height. This is really just a tubing extension to make up some of the distance between the bike frame and the foot.

Last edited:
Your kickstand doesn't sound like the one on my RadRover. I'd love to see a picture.

Here is mine. The kickstand is removed from the bike, we're looking at the back, wheel side. First with the foot attached, then with the nut that holds the foot on removed. Note the special nut inside the tube.

There was no glue at all. Some blue Loctite on the threads of the foot bolt and the bolts holding the kickstand to the bike.

20190824_124958_resized.jpg
20190824_125129_resized.jpg

TT

Last edited:
Here it is. The top part attaches to the frame mount. Below that is the triangular extension tube that the foot surrounds with its hex head bolt that allows for adjusting the height/angle of the kickstand. The foot is attached to the lower portion of the extension tube. Notice that the upper part of the extension tube fits over the lower part of the frame mount/hinge part. That is where the glue was used at the factory or by the part supplier.

Attachments

• Rad Rover kickstand.jpg
    Rad Rover kickstand.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 526
Which case did RadRover use? I recently sorted out some key blanks for a couple of cases.

Someone else will have to answer that. I am not familiar with case types. It's a short, double-sided key that looks like a motorcycle key from the 90s to me. That's the last time I owned a motorcycle.

I didn't read carefully enough. I didn't realize your kickstand came apart at the top. Mine's like that too; I just went out in the dark to check. I'm not going to try to pull mine apart, but from your picture it looks like it may be splined and pressed on, probably with some sort of adhesive, which, in that application, should be pretty adequate. I would think it might hold very well even without adhesive. But, I'd use something like Loctite on the splines. It might help lubricate it as the pieces go together, then it should, um, lock tight as it dries.

JB Weld will probably work too. I think of it as more of a filler kind of stuff, and I'm not sure it's what you really ought to use for this application, but, heck, how wrong can it be?

Since we aren't talking about the adjustable foot bottom portion of the kickstand, apparently you didn't lose any parts. I was going to suggest Rad would probably sell you a replacement or even give you one if your bike is still under warranty.

TT

If that tube was pressed on, I would think there would me more signs of indentations in the outer portion of the triangular tube. There is none. All of this material is aluminum. The glue proved to be inadequate in very limited driving vibration.

I went with an epoxy that remains flexible (hoping it might be resilient to vibration) and a single sheet metal screw.

I went with an epoxy that remains flexible (hoping it might be resilient to vibration) and a single sheet metal screw.
That should do it! It's interesting that this is the first I've heard of this problem. I wonder what was special about your bike to cause this failure.

Glad you found the part and that it wasn't a serious problem.

TT

I had to double-check my kickstands on my Radrovers and Radcity. All three seem to be sturdy (for now). I took a quick look on the internet for the same type of kickstand and couldn't find the exact replacement if I have the same issue later.

I took my key to the best locksmith in the Boise area. He immediately recognized it as a blank that Yamaha motorcycles had/have used. 5.00/key beats the 15.00/key from Rad Power Bikes.

I took my key to the best locksmith in the Boise area. He immediately recognized it as a blank that Yamaha motorcycles had/have used. 5.00/key beats the 15.00/key from Rad Power Bikes.
Reention, and Hailong cases. Shark, Super Shark, and Dolphin cases have common blanks too. They too are motorsports blanks.

dolphins that used a Honda blank, Hyko HD75 and a Toyota blank, Cole T020. I used this to find blanks when the local locksmith couldn't match and found cheap planks, under $1.00 online.

Avcokey.com

Product/Service Information
Product NamePart No.QuantityItem PriceTotal Price
TR20 TOYOTA Key Blank T61C T80RJT-TR20
HD75 HONDA MOTORCYCLE Key Blank Nickel Plated X138JT-HD75

Back