Kickstand problem

mikesh

20200902_105952.jpg

My kickstand once came down while riding over a speed bump and I did not notice it straightaway. Dangerous! The picture shows a possible solution.

For 8-10k I'm not using a bungee to fix a faulty kickstand...

I agree
There are a couple of threads about faulty kickstands. It seems the spring should be stronger to avoid the rattling issues and more importantly stop it from deploying when you go over a bump

A good solution to fix the problem during a ride. I always carry a bungee for emergency repairs.

If you aren't happy with the R&M OEM kickstand, there are many aftermarket products that use the same bolt pattern on the dropout.

A good solution to fix the problem during a ride. I always carry a bungee for emergency repairs.

If you aren't happy with the R&M OEM kickstand, there are many aftermarket products that use the same bolt pattern on the dropout.

Good to know ... any specific suggestion? Cant stand the rattling....

Good to know ... any specific suggestion? Cant stand the rattling....

Unfortunately, most of the rear mounted stands I've tried tend to rattle a bit. The center of gravity is located at or near the rear axle and the springs in these products don't seem to be strong enough to hold them closed when going over rough terrain.

Although I much prefer a center mount kickstand, my bike is rear heavy and tends to tip because the stand is too far forward. I tried a variety of rear or chainstay mounted products and the one I liked best was this one from Bontrager:

60147980792.jpg

https://www.scheels.com/p/bontrager...CXxWd1YZNG90UVT4P2UR3xtQNCgZkIrhoCkY8QAvD_BwE

You need to verify the bolt pattern though to make sure it will fit your R&M. There are dozens of similar products out there. Perhaps someone else can recommend something specifically for the R&M.

After some modification, I eventually went back to the center mounted stand.

Unfortunately, most of the rear mounted stands I've tried tend to rattle a bit. The center of gravity is located at or near the rear axle and the springs in these products don't seem to be strong enough to hold them closed when going over rough terrain.

Although I much prefer a center mount kickstand, my bike is rear heavy and tends to tip because the stand is too far forward. I tried a variety of rear or chainstay mounted products and the one I liked best was this one from Bontrager:

View attachment 65003

https://www.scheels.com/p/bontrager...CXxWd1YZNG90UVT4P2UR3xtQNCgZkIrhoCkY8QAvD_BwE

You need to verify the bolt pattern though to make sure it will fit your R&M. There are dozens of similar products out there. Perhaps someone else can recommend something specifically for the R&M.

After some modification, I eventually went back to the center mounted stand.

I agree, the Bontrager kickstand stays out of mind until you use it.

The 2020 Superdelite kickstand has 40mm bolt spacing which is uncommon...not very many 40mm kickstand options out there. This is frustrating. Looks like I will need to modify my current kickstand as others have done.

I made a simple adapter from a piece of aluminum plate. I drilled holes for the bike bolt pattern and another set to match the kickstand. This may require shortening the kickstand though which isn't a problem for adjustable models.

Back