Kickstand mounting bolts stripped

Sparky731

Region
USA
Actually the frame threads stripped out for one mounting bolt. Does anyone know of a good fix? I am afraid the weight of the bike will strip out the threads for the other bolt.
AC36BAA0-5F1B-4594-9BBA-C372A5A57BAE.jpeg

I have had every kickstand on my e-bikes come loose even after locktite. my trek mechanic just used a through bolt and lock nut. even then they come loose a bit. its shut the location of these kickstands so far back they get so much vibration.

I have had every kickstand on my e-bikes come loose even after locktite. my trek mechanic just used a through bolt and lock nut. even then they come loose a bit. its shut the location of these kickstands so far back they get so much vibration.
That's a cheap, quick, easy fix, but, maybe depending on your attitude, it has kind of a Frankenstein look and you have a nut and bolt on the spokes side of the frame, which you have to consider. Heli-Coil is the name i couldn't think of a while ago. That's pretty much the standard way of fixing stripped threads like this if you want to keep the thread size the same. It's a little more effort and expense but they work great and you can't tell it's been done.

TT

That's a cheap, quick, easy fix, but, maybe depending on your attitude, it has kind of a Frankenstein look and you have a nut and bolt on the spokes side of the frame, which you have to consider. Heli-Coil is the name i couldn't think of a while ago. That's pretty much the standard way of fixing stripped threads like this if you want to keep the thread size the same. It's a little more effort and expense but they work great and you can't tell it's been done.

TT
you cant really see it. but it eliminates the weakness of this design. the setup does not come loose and your not making a larger hole in a critical area.

kickstands are bad about that. they are so far back and there is so much vibration. the best fix is to drill it out and use a through bolt and lock nut on back.
Ya, and then the nut hits the brake rotor (been there done that).

1679159488588.png

Marcela, my brother has ground the nut as much as it became almost flat. Too thick still!
I didn't figure they would be. Just had to throw that out.

I had one kickstand come loose a while back. Reattached and haven't had any problems that I know of. I'll have to check them again. Believe I used blue locktite. Be careful on the torque value. Like someone said, not much meat there.

Had to look at mine. The fasteners go through the chainstay into the kickstand plate. Not much room on the rear fastener between the kickstand plate and the brake disc. There might be enough stuff there to drill and rethread if one had to. Mine are still good with the blue locktite. Don't think spec uses any on assy.

Last edited:
This is not the same thing but the same concept regarding the repair. I couldn't place a kickstand on this bike because the motor was in the way. So I drilled the coaster brake torque arm and tapped it with threads. I screwed it down and then put aviation nuts on the back to lock it. You could tap it larger and use longer screws with nuts on the inside.

Attachments

• Kickstand1.JPG
    Kickstand1.JPG
    336.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Kickstand2.JPG
    Kickstand2.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 116
Reading back, that is not good about the disc clearance. The above bike doesn't have that issue.

As others have suggested, I would drill out and tap for the next larger bolt size. At the same time, I would drill & tap for a third mounting bolt between, and slightly above, the two existing bolts. Use Loctite on all 3.

Back