Justifiable in New England?

The "average" ebike will handle a 10% uphill grade for a mile or so but can overheat the motor if you go much farther. This varies greatly though from bike to bike.
I'm riding a 1200 W geared hub motor, the kind that the California vendors won't sell because people burn them up riding up to the park at the top of the Sierra.
I cross 77 hills in 30 miles on my way to my summer camp, 3 of them 15% grades of 100' or so. I have 4000 miles on the motor I paid $221 for from ebikeling. The only problems have been the cover screws have to be retightened twice, even with blue loktite on the threads. This does not require removing the wheel or brake disk, just a screwdriver. It makes thumping noise when it requires maintenance.
DD hubmotors (direct drive) are even less prone to overheating, if your grades are not as steep as mine. Those are better at higher speeds than grinding up steep hills at 6 mph as I do on my route.
There are mid drives, but the power flows through the chain, which limits chain life to 4000 miles at most and in the 11 speed (skinny) variety, as low as 500 miles. Also most mid drives drag badly with the power off, which is how I ride most of the time for my health. Exceptions are Shimano and Yamaha. I use the motor for commutes with wind >12 mph in my face, which can cut my self power speed to 5 mph. Also portions of trips over 25 miles.
If you ever intend to buy groceries on the way home, my yubabike for cargo shown left can handle 80 lb cargo with my 170 lb weight. My pants inseam is 28". That is the drop frame for small people. Magnum has some inexpensive step through models with fenders, and dealers in various cities. 2" tires are adequate for comfort up to 15 mph, and I hit 30 downhill sometimes if the pavement is good. The bodaboda will not accept a suspension seat post or replacement suspension fork as the post diameters are non-standard. With the pannier bags and an extended deck of aluminum angle, I can live without a car. I occasionally rent a U-haul truck for building supplies or piano moves.
BTW I measured the slope of my steepest grade with a 8" level from K-mart with a 6" straight part, and a ruler. 7/8" rise in 6" is 14.6%.

Last edited:
All of these things are also complicated my height. I'm 5' 2" with about a 29" pant leg. So trying to find something that can climb hills, get me to work in a reasonable time, AND that I actually fit on has proven...challenging.

Well you've come to the right place to ask your questions. You're sure to get many helpful suggestions.

I hesitate to recommend a specific bike since it is such a personal decision but for what it's worth, my wife is 5' 2" with a 28" inseam. It was a definite concern when we were ebike shopping. We found the best approach was to test ride as many models as possible and talk to the knowledgeable LBS sales folk. We took several overnight trips to distant locations in order to accomplish this task.

After 18 months of looking at bikes, we settled on the Pedego 26" Platinum Interceptor step thru model.

pedego-platinum-1-768x633.jpg

https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/product/interceptor-platinum-edition/

The bike was one of the few which fit her stature and still had enough seat tube space exposed to accommodate a suspension seat post. We actually bought three identical bikes, for her, myself and a "guest" bike for friends and family. The Platinum Interceptor is mid priced, in the $4K price range, but we consider it worthwhile considering the excellent warranty and dealer support.

Pedego also makes an Interceptor model (not platinum) for considerably less $$. The frame size is the same but it lacks a few features of the Platinum Interceptor.
pedego-interceptor-65-2.jpg

By all means, ask your questions here on the forum! Then ride as many bikes as you can before buying! Everyone has different likes & needs which won't become obvious until you've tried them out.

Good Luck!

This bike caught my eye recently. CSC FT750, they make a 20" wheel model. Also looks like a price point / quality level that is doable on my first ebike. Anyone have experience with these? I expect not too much since I think they're fairly new.

This bike caught my eye recently. CSC FT750, they make a 20" wheel model.
I find 20" wheels to be totally unsuited to the pothole and gas valve hole strewn roads we have in S. Indiana. If Massachusetts roads are as perfect as those in Germany, then perhaps the small wheels would not bruise you. I can keep a good watch out and miss the holes, most of the time. Not always.

We got into ebikes for recreation, so there was no need to research or justify them as transport, especially for winter commuting. Ugh.

The CSC FT-750-20 is the first non folding 20" fat tire bike I've seen. THe market needs that. Non folding makes for a better frame. Saves a little weight. Those tires are about 24" high, by the way, and if inflated down to 10 psi will have a good ride. You don't want to go fast at that low pressure. They'll wear quick at speed. I have two ebike with fat tires, but prefer to ride bikes with skinny tires.

If I had to commute though, I think the fat tire bikes would be better seen in traffic.

You've said you've never ridden an e-bike. A lot of local bike shops will rent them before purchasing and the rental cost will go towards the purchase. My advice is do your research. Make your best guess about what bike is best for you, then rent at least a couple of different models for at least two days each and ride your route. Make your decision from there.

I've ridden my e-bike commuting 15 miles all winter in New Hampshire, with a weather-be-damned attitude. For me, I've learned that anything over 30 degrees is doable. 25-30 is uncomfortable, but not enough to stop me. Under 25 isn't smart. That's me though. Others have higher or lower tolerances.

My grip about riding on snow covered roads isn't about the bike so much, it's that there isn't any shoulder and many cars over react, sometimes dangerously so. They've almost crashed into each other to avoid me. That's really dangerous. So now I don't ride to work if there's a lot of fresh snow on the road.

One night after work, the morning weather report was way off and there was an unexpected heavy snow storm when it was time to go home. It was dark, but I only had 6 miles and thought, I can do it. I learned why you don't ride in a snow storm. Eventually my spokes and disc brakes became snow magnets and the wheels completely locked up as two big circles of 4"-6" of snow. I had to walk the last two miles home and most e-bikers know that walking an e-bike isn't an fun. Walking an e-bike up hill in total darkness in 6" of fresh snow is definitely not fun. The truth is though, I felt really alive when I finally made it home with a strange sense of accomplishment, but I also vowed never to do that again.

New England isn't like the Rockies or the Sierras. It doesn't get 10+ feet of snow (well rarely). There's lots of days that it doesn't snow. Those are the days that I e-bike commute.

Ultimately it just depends on the type of person that you are? For some, winter e-bike commuting in New England wouldn't work and for some, like me, it's no big deal. I don't do it on the days that weather is really bad, but will on days that weather isn't horrible.

One other thing that I've learned is that speed really matters. When it's cold, it's better to slow down. It's amazing how much warmer it is at 15 mph than it is at 25 mph.

The other issue is road salt. I bought an inexpensive pump up plastic garden sprayer, (since there's no outdoor hoses in New England winters). I wash and wipe my bike with a light water mist after each ride and oil the chain with Tri-Flow lube. I keep a garden sprayer at work and one at home, so the bike gets a quick wash and chain lube after every winter road ride. It just takes a few minutes. I don't spend a lot of time, but I am consistent about doing it.

Good luck with your search! Most who ride e-bikes find them to be life transforming. I sure did!

This bike caught my eye recently. CSC FT750, they make a 20" wheel model. Also looks like a price point / quality level that is doable on my first ebike. Anyone have experience with these? I expect not too much since I think they're fairly new.

I've got the FT750-26. This is my second bike, first was a Rad Rover that I had for a little less than a year (stolen) and used for recreation and commuting.

The FT750 feels great, holds up well under my excessive weight, and really manages some hills. It's less obviously an e-bike and doesn't garner as many comments as the RadRover did. CSC has been great for support as well.

Just thought I'd let everyone that weighed on here know that I finally pulled the trigger on the Aventon Level. The big points for me on that bike were the higher speed capabilities and the frame size options. It's on preorder now so I'll report back when it comes in! I'm beyond excited.

I’m in the upper Midwest with some pretty nasty winters
Not a winter rider but I still have justified TWO ebikes.
I’ve completely come over to the dark side and am totally hooked.
Totally hooked. Me to a T. I can ride a lot in winter here in Tejas but now I'm researching moving to somewhere with really great bike trails AND winter riding. Or maybe going snowbird so I can do new trails year round. Yep. Hooked.

I'm retired and don't commute. It wouldn't be practical for me to do so anyway considering where I live. I rode conventional bikes for many years and invested in an ebike when my age related infirmities began to pile up. I can only ride seasonally and still consider the investment well worth it.

As others have said, clothing and equipment will allow year round commuting in your locale and riding for recreation will be an added bonus. Consider the local laws before you buy a bike though. https://wsd-pfb-sparkinfluence.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2020/01/E-Bike-Law-Handouts_MA_2020.pdf Massachusetts is not an ebike friendly state. Class 2 and 3 ebikes may not be legal in all places you plan to ride.
We'll be passing the three class law pretty soon... It's been on the docket for nearly 2 years!

I'm still fighting the "natural surface" exclusion, which magically turns my class one eMTB from a bicycle to a motorized vehicle like a magic trick when I go from pavement to dirt...

I’m in the upper Midwest with some pretty nasty winters
Not a winter rider but I still have justified TWO ebikes.
I’ve completely come over to the dark side and am totally hooked.
For me it's 'justify schmustify'. At 70 yo, no family, knowing I'm way down the slope of life I'm just tickled silly to have something that makes me want to get out of bed in the morning and the health benefits are icing on the cake. Plus I get loads of fun BS ing on this board with all you addicts. :p :p🤣 Even you Stefan.

Totally hooked. Me to a T. I can ride a lot in winter here in Tejas but now I'm researching moving to somewhere with really great bike trails AND winter riding. Or maybe going snowbird so I can do new trails year round. Yep. Hooked.
70 year old Snowbird here, to allow year round biking and other activities. Not one to be cooped up, especially cooped up due to bad weather. Not going to happen....

I would add that Florida has some of the more liberal e-bike rules (allowed anywhere a bicycle can go), AND they are very actively developing mile after mile of new trails to attract.......... tourists and snowbirds!

I am retired, on a fixed income (my wife still works...), but don't need any justification to enjoy myself while I am still able. We have two ebikes that I built from kits, a 20' Grady White center console fishing boat, a '23 model T hot rod, and a 17' sailboat. Most of these I bought used and restored. Life's to short to not enjoy what you want to do. Go for it, or you may regret it in your old age!

Hi everybody. I said I'd check back in and well I guess this is that. I'm a fair bit over the 350 mile mark. Riding has definitely slowed down here in MA but I still get the odd day. My most favorite ride is when I can take one or both of my girls for a ride. They're not too keen on the temps now though.
Just wanted to thank everyone again and just express how opened my mind feels about personal transportation in general. I think this is the start of something long lasting in my life.

See part of my internal justification is that I can make this a commuting alternative. I guess I'm still testing whether that pillar of my justification is placed on bed rock or sand right now :/
Building on rock or sand probably doesn't really matter. I bought ebikes to take in our RV. But Covid means my RV is just sitting still, and we just ride our ebikes around our town. Still cheaper than golf.

I get a kick out of New Englanders who downhill ski and snowboard, but shudder at the thought of riding a bike in Winter weather.
I've done it all, and it's WAY easier to keep warm on an ebike than skis, especially on hilly trails 😄

Back