Justifiable in New England?

I get a kick out of New Englanders who downhill ski and snowboard, but shudder at the thought of riding a bike in Winter weather.
I've done it all, and it's WAY easier to keep warm on an ebike than skis, especially on hilly trails 😄
What I thought that was just white sand I was riding on but, come to think of it even thou I smell the salt in the air at times the ocean doesn't seem to be all that near and maybe that's not dust in the air!

As for me, it's the chair lift ride that's cold, not the downhill run! I find all the cold weather gear too restrictive for riding my ebike, but I'm going on 70, and feeling the cold more than my younger self...

You've said you've never ridden an e-bike. A lot of local bike shops will rent them before purchasing and the rental cost will go towards the purchase. My advice is do your research. Make your best guess about what bike is best for you, then rent at least a couple of different models for at least two days each and ride your route. Make your decision from there.

I've ridden my e-bike commuting 15 miles all winter in New Hampshire, with a weather-be-damned attitude. For me, I've learned that anything over 30 degrees is doable. 25-30 is uncomfortable, but not enough to stop me. Under 25 isn't smart. That's me though. Others have higher or lower tolerances.

My grip about riding on snow covered roads isn't about the bike so much, it's that there isn't any shoulder and many cars over react, sometimes dangerously so. They've almost crashed into each other to avoid me. That's really dangerous. So now I don't ride to work if there's a lot of fresh snow on the road.

One night after work, the morning weather report was way off and there was an unexpected heavy snow storm when it was time to go home. It was dark, but I only had 6 miles and thought, I can do it. I learned why you don't ride in a snow storm. Eventually my spokes and disc brakes became snow magnets and the wheels completely locked up as two big circles of 4"-6" of snow. I had to walk the last two miles home and most e-bikers know that walking an e-bike isn't an fun. Walking an e-bike up hill in total darkness in 6" of fresh snow is definitely not fun. The truth is though, I felt really alive when I finally made it home with a strange sense of accomplishment, but I also vowed never to do that again.

New England isn't like the Rockies or the Sierras. It doesn't get 10+ feet of snow (well rarely). There's lots of days that it doesn't snow. Those are the days that I e-bike commute.

Ultimately it just depends on the type of person that you are? For some, winter e-bike commuting in New England wouldn't work and for some, like me, it's no big deal. I don't do it on the days that weather is really bad, but will on days that weather isn't horrible.

One other thing that I've learned is that speed really matters. When it's cold, it's better to slow down. It's amazing how much warmer it is at 15 mph than it is at 25 mph.

The other issue is road salt. I bought an inexpensive pump up plastic garden sprayer, (since there's no outdoor hoses in New England winters). I wash and wipe my bike with a light water mist after each ride and oil the chain with Tri-Flow lube. I keep a garden sprayer at work and one at home, so the bike gets a quick wash and chain lube after every winter road ride. It just takes a few minutes. I don't spend a lot of time, but I am consistent about doing it.

Good luck with your search! Most who ride e-bikes find them to be life transforming. I sure did!
Riding in a snow storm a 3;30 am is fun what are talking about??? I just run one of those red garden hoses in the winter it works just fine. The worst day I rode last winter the temp was 8 below wind chill was a lot lower. I was on my acoustic bike then don't know if the E would like 5 miles of that but we might see that this season. As far as slowing down if it's not slippery I just dress for it and ride as fast as I can. I also ride with 2 head lights one on the bars,one my helmet and 2 taillights in flash mode one on the bike and one on my pack but like you said it's not for everyone and I tend to roll a little different then most so justifiable in Newengland

Back