Just starting, need general advice

frequentflyer

So glad I've found this forum!!

I've been reading a lot but I'm really at a loss about how to narrow down my choices. Visiting Europe this past summer I rented a front-hub drive throttled ebike and was pretty amazed that I was able to take hills that I wouldn't normally make. (The bike was super heavy and I was worried about controlling speed heading down the big hills, but it had a backpedal brake in addition to handlebar brakes. I haven't seen that feature on bikes here in the US). So, I'm in. But what to buy? I've been reading a lot about mid-drive versus hub, but I still don't know if I need to spend the extra money for a mid-drive.

I know I want a "city" (not "beach") step-through with accessories like fenders and lights. I'm an older woman, 5'9", about 170. I have a four mile commute that includes some long and some sharp (short) hills -- including one right out of my driveway. Some hills start at traffic lights, so the ability to start from a dead stop would be nice. I'd also like to use it for area rides on bike trails. Max distance probably about 20-25 miles.

One important factor for me is purchasing and support. There are hardly any dealers where I live. I'm nervous about buying without a test drive, but that limits my choices so I might just have to do it. (Within an hour I only have a Pedago store, a Trek store, a dealer in Electras, and the big chain store Eric's. We have a few great local shops, but none are offering electric.). Not all brands ship and not all that do come assembled. Finally, there is the question of cost. Ideally, I would like under 2K, since this is my first ebike and I just don't know how much I'll actually use it. I think I would need to be convinced that the extra 1K for a mid-drive is worth it. is it? So, still preliminary list but here's what I'm thinking about...

(1) Blix Aveny low-step. seems to be a solid hub drive for my needs. Highly rated, nice shipping and returns policy. Cons: may be too small? unnecessary weighty basket, no local dealer.
(2) Pedago step through city commute. Pros: store nearby, all the bells and whistles. Can test drive. Cons: too expensive for what it is. Battery on rack?
(3) Electra Loft Go 8i - local purchase (can't test, but they have the Townie electric I could try and I could try a non-electric Loft for sizing and feel. The Townie has a different Bosch motor though, than the Loft); 1K more than a hub drive. Worth it?
(4) Trek Lift + - cheapest of the step-through mid-drives i've seen, no fenders or extras, but local store and service.
(5) Raleigh? sold by Eric's. Cons: Big chain store, can I trust service? Quality? Haven't identified model I like.

Thanks for any advice!

My wife is almost exactly the same size as you (5'9", 175#). She has a Blix Aveny and it is definitely not too small for her. She has been very happy with the bike. She just rides for leisure and exercise, not commuting.

Even if you have to drive a reasonable distance, you should really try to find a bike shop that will allow you to take a test ride and assist you with sizing and adjustments, whatever brand you decide on. I am not sure if Blix ships directly to the customer. I know when we were looking, if we bought it directly from Blix online, they still shipped it to our local bike shop for final assembly/adjustments and delivery. So we purchased through the bike shop rather than ordering online.

Last edited:
@frequentflyer The Aveny is generally recommended for 5'2" - 5'10", and it should be a great fit if you are 5'9". If you buy online from our webshop, we will ship the bike to a local shop within 15 miles from the address you put in at checkout. If there is no Blix dealer in your location, we will ship to a highly rated local shop that will assemble and safety check the bike at no extra charge for you. Hope that helps!

I can offer my opinion on your question re the Pedego step-thru City Commuter: company known for good LBS service and solid quality parts, but that also adds to the weight of the bike (~60lbs). Battery on rack makes it back heavy so you need to be a little more aware of sharp turns, momentum, etc. Consider how you store the bike (needing to bring up/down stairs?), how important specific service is or can a non-Pedego bike shop take care of tuneups (they should). Test ride all bikes under consideration that you can, those you can't at least you might evaluate with Court's reviews how the ride may feel.

Trek and Electra disable walk assist on their ebikes so if that’s a feature you think you will use to help you push the bike up ramps/steps I would go with another brand. Blix and Pedego have throttle and walk assist, Raleigh Electric have walk assist and an optional “boost button” that sort of acts like a throttle on their Retroglide, Sprite, and Trike models with the Transx mid drive motor. To get going from stationary you can use a throttle to get going but you might also want to shift down when stopped, only an internal gear hub can do that otherwise you need to train yourself to shift down on a derailleur bike before you come to a stop, it’s usually only an issue when you stop facing up hill and most riders just use throttle to start. Pedego’s with an IGH include the Latch, Trike, and Conveyor. If you could pay the cost of return shipping if you find you don’t like it the Biktrix Stunner is $2,000 and has a throttle, walk assist, and an IGH, but I don’t know how the warranty works as they are a direct mail order company, you would need to ask them which shops local to you would be prepared to service or do warranty work on the bike.

Last edited:
For what you describe, hub drive vs. mid-drive is a moot point. Either one will do. My wife loves her Pedego City Commuter with the step-thru frame -- she regularly rides 10-20 miles - and appreciates the service she receives. The nearest Pedego store used to be a little over 2 hours away; happily a new one opened right here in our home town, so she can get service a lot more easily. The cost is over your $2K limit, though.

The Pedego City Commuter is a terrific bike and part of that price is that that battery in the rack is a big one, meaning no range anxiety! :) my husband loves his. I love my beach cruiser’s cute style and highly viz color, which I preferred to the CC. And it also is a great bike for my 14 mike (each way) hilly commute. Oh, and the throttle is great for starting on hills and for rapidly proceeding through intersections. The Pedego models are Class 2 ebikes.

Oh—we notice no handling problems with the rear battery set-up. Except, of course lifting the bike!!

Since you have a Pedego store and other bike store an hour away, you can go and ride everything that interests you.

Have fun!!

So glad I've found this forum!!

I've been reading a lot but I'm really at a loss about how to narrow down my choices. Visiting Europe this past summer I rented a front-hub drive throttled ebike and was pretty amazed that I was able to take hills that I wouldn't normally make. (The bike was super heavy and I was worried about controlling speed heading down the big hills, but it had a backpedal brake in addition to handlebar brakes. I haven't seen that feature on bikes here in the US). So, I'm in. But what to buy? I've been reading a lot about mid-drive versus hub, but I still don't know if I need to spend the extra money for a mid-drive.

I know I want a "city" (not "beach") step-through with accessories like fenders and lights. I'm an older woman, 5'9", about 170. I have a four mile commute that includes some long and some sharp (short) hills -- including one right out of my driveway. Some hills start at traffic lights, so the ability to start from a dead stop would be nice. I'd also like to use it for area rides on bike trails. Max distance probably about 20-25 miles.

One important factor for me is purchasing and support. There are hardly any dealers where I live. I'm nervous about buying without a test drive, but that limits my choices so I might just have to do it. (Within an hour I only have a Pedago store, a Trek store, a dealer in Electras, and the big chain store Eric's. We have a few great local shops, but none are offering electric.). Not all brands ship and not all that do come assembled. Finally, there is the question of cost. Ideally, I would like under 2K, since this is my first ebike and I just don't know how much I'll actually use it. I think I would need to be convinced that the extra 1K for a mid-drive is worth it. is it? So, still preliminary list but here's what I'm thinking about...

(1) Blix Aveny low-step. seems to be a solid hub drive for my needs. Highly rated, nice shipping and returns policy. Cons: may be too small? unnecessary weighty basket, no local dealer.
(2) Pedago step through city commute. Pros: store nearby, all the bells and whistles. Can test drive. Cons: too expensive for what it is. Battery on rack?
(3) Electra Loft Go 8i - local purchase (can't test, but they have the Townie electric I could try and I could try a non-electric Loft for sizing and feel. The Townie has a different Bosch motor though, than the Loft); 1K more than a hub drive. Worth it?
(4) Trek Lift + - cheapest of the step-through mid-drives i've seen, no fenders or extras, but local store and service.
(5) Raleigh? sold by Eric's. Cons: Big chain store, can I trust service? Quality? Haven't identified model I like.

Thanks for any advice!

Just an FYI...Trek bought Electra / Townie. I own two Trek eBikes, not the bikes on your list and have had zero problems during my first year (3000 + miles ) My LBS combined with Trek made a modification to the chain guard on one of my bikes, the service was great and very prompt. Trek provides excellent after sales support.

My two cents on buying an eBike from a 'Big chain store' . I wouldn't walk away from that deal, I'd run away from it. : ) I'm certain you can buy a Raleigh eBike from a LBS

This helps alot, thanks. The "walk assist" is something I added to my list of must haves. I'm pretty good about anticipating gearing on a ride so I'm not too worried about the hills from a dead stop if I can get low enough to get moving. Kansas is not all flat, I can tell you that!

I purchased a Radcity Step-Thru for my wife for $1500. She liked the 750w rear hub power, regen braking, standard rear rack, front suspension, bright headlight, adjustable cruiser style handlebar, and throttle. We updated the seat to a Cloud-9 cruiser seat and added the bodyfloat v2.0 seatpost. At $1500, the money we saved paid for extra gear like a Topeak rack bag, riding cloths, riding glove, locks, etc...

She really like the throttle for urban riding for a little extra power/speed for intersections, short inclines, or starts on slight inclines. The ebike does have walk mode; but, i've never had a need to use it since it has a throttle. I once had to push my Radrover fat tire bike up a flight of stairs because the elevator was out. It was very easy to do for me using the throttle. The combo of direct drive rear hub, 14 ah battery, and regen battery braking increases her range to the 35-50 mile range on a single charge compared to my Radrover at 25-40 miles range on the same ride.

All ebikes are a little heavy and can have a large footprint for storage. A folding ebike is also an option it you have tight spot for storage, need to transport in car, public transportation, or small SUV occasionally, or you need a small size to help move around.

Back