Just pre-ordered a RadRover from Rad power bikes...

Just curious, but when you said "pedal with it", that's probably the answer.

My bike is pedal assist only, 350 watts. On level ground holding 20 miles an hour usually indicates about one quarter on the usage meter. Does this mean about 88 watts being supplied by the motor?

It never occurred to me that the measurements we are discussing would apply to all motor and no pedal assist.

That makes sense. I currently have a BH Emotion neo xtrem myself - pretty similar specs (though sounds like maybe yours is a mid-drive?), 350w and I use it pedal assist only (throttle is boring, gotta pedal - will ride the radrover in the same fashion). One thing my bike is missing is a display that tells me the current watt consumption - will be nice to have, even if the read-out is only instant, to have an idea of the power I'm using.

Hello all,
I was reading the canada regulations regarding e-bikes, they are the following :

power-assisted bicycle”

“power-assisted bicycle” means a vehicle that:

• (a) has steering handlebars and is equipped with pedals,
  • (b) is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground,
  • (c) is capable of being propelled by muscular power,
  • (d) has one or more electric motors that have, singly or in combination, the following characteristics:
    • (i) it has a total continuous power output rating, measured at the shaft of each motor, of 500 W or less,
    • (ii) if it is engaged by the use of muscular power, power assistance immediately ceases when the muscular power ceases,
    • (iii) if it is engaged by the use of an accelerator controller, power assistance immediately ceases when the brakes are applied, and
    • (iv) it is incapable of providing further assistance when the bicycle attains a speed of 32 km/h on level ground,
  • (e) bears a label that is permanently affixed by the manufacturer and appears in a conspicuous location stating, in both official languages, that the vehicle is a power-assisted bicycle as defined in this subsection, and
  • (f) has one of the following safety features,
    • (i) an enabling mechanism to turn the electric motor on and off that is separate from the accelerator controller and fitted in such a manner that it is operable by the driver, or
    • (ii) a mechanism that prevents the motor from being engaged before the bicycle attains a speed of 3 km/h; (bicyclette assistée)
      "
      I hope the RadRover complies with these rules, as I don't want to be troubled by Canada Transport Bureau and customs.

I was concerned with the power of the motor, since canada allows 500w of maximum nominal power. I was told on that the RadRover motor is 500w nominal and 750w peak power.

Also, they refer to a label that has to be affixed by manufacturer stating it's a power-assisted bycicle.

Is anyone on this forum a Canadian buyer ? I am a bit worried...

I don't think there are any other known Canadian buyers that are also on here - there aren't more than a few of us that I know of that have purchased the bike. I wonder, since the battery is being shipped separately, if it would be considered electric when being imported since it technically wouldn't be operable without the battery. Tough to say whether customs would be concerned with that sort of thing, and I'm not sure whether motor classifications are based on nominal or peak power in general.

Reply from Ty Collins :
"Ty Collins
il y a environ 4 heures
@eric Miram-Marthe-Rose, We designed the RadRover to be street legal within the vast majority of the U.S., but can’t guarantee that it will be in other countries. What we can say is that from what you sent it does look like the RR operates within the restrictions on speed/continuous wattage, & has all of the necessary safety features as designated operational modes to work within that legislation. We will also feature a label on the frame that describes that the RR is power assisted.
-Ty, RPB"

Well I suppose it shouldn't be a problem to operate in canada :)

Best rule of thumb would be to ride the bike prudently and obey all the applicable laws that do apply to e bikes and you should be fine. The good thing is the bike is most likely to be noticed for being a fat bike, not for being an electric bike.

Did you watch the new video? Interesting as it looks like speed will be programmable up to 25mph or 40kph. Might even be able to fool it into going faster by entering a smaller wheel dimension? Smaller wheel would equal more revolutions to achieve a certain speed. I'm probably wrong about that though as it most likely has to do with the actual motor winding and not the controller/display input.

Hello Radrover lovers, I was reading on this bike characteristics and noticed this :
Shift Levers : Shimano thumb shifter

But on this picture from the website picture gallery I found this pic, and I could not see any thumb shifter but more like a rotating shifter...
Your thoughts ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 317
Hello Radrover lovers, I was reading on this bike characteristics and noticed this :

But on this picture from the website picture gallery I found this pic, and I could not see any thumb shifter but more like a rotating shifter...
Your thoughts ?

If you look closely at the picture on indigo, it looks like a half twist throttle on the right handle bar and it does look like a twist shifter on the left handle bar, but look very closely at the left hand and it looks like they are in the process of shifting and their thumb is covering the trigger shifter. Either way you'll be fine. I'm sure their description is accurate. Have fun.

Your thoughts ?

Nice catch! For some reason I thought I'd seen it with a thumb shifter somewhere - aha, I found it! They must have decided to go with the thumb shifter, that is too bad - disappointing they used probably an earlier version of the bike for the stock photos. I see you commented on the indiegogo page, I'm sure we'll hear back! I haven't swapped a shifter before, but I've watched it on youtube and it seems pretty simple, a 7 speed grip shift is under twenty bucks on amazon (bet the thumb shifter costs a quarter of that! Oh, the thumb shifter can be seen in this youtube video starting right about 1:45 -

We've previously seen the solution of a grip shifter on the left, to not conflict with the twist throttle on the right. Seems like a solid choice for a less-frequently shifted e-bike.

Nice catch! For some reason I thought I'd seen it with a thumb shifter somewhere - aha, I found it! They must have decided to go with the thumb shifter, that is too bad - disappointing they used probably an earlier version of the bike for the stock photos. I see you commented on the indiegogo page, I'm sure we'll hear back! I haven't swapped a shifter before, but I've watched it on youtube and it seems pretty simple, a 7 speed grip shift is under twenty bucks on amazon (bet the thumb shifter costs a quarter of that! Oh, the thumb shifter can be seen in this youtube video starting right about 1:45 -

Oh! and a regular hand grip also.

Thanks for the hint Paul, I dunno if the bike in the video is the final version though, you will notice no leather grips as mentioned in the characteristics either:)

Thanks for the hint Paul, I dunno if the bike in the video is the final version though, you will notice no leather grips as mentioned in the characteristics either:)

That is true as well! I do know that video was done by a guy at endless sphere about a week after the campaign started, so maybe it is a more finalized bike, well have to see what the team says!

We've previously seen the solution of a grip shifter on the left, to not conflict with the twist throttle on the right. Seems like a solid choice for a less-frequently shifted e-bike.

As much as I would like a twist shifter, having the rear gears shift with the left hand would feel strange...thigh I'm sure you'd get used to it. Not sure I have ever seen a bike with rear derailleur shifting by the left hand. That said, my preference would actually be a thumb throttle and right twist shift...I'll live with what we get, can't please everyone!

Hello Rad Lovers :),
Am I the only one being impatient to discover what accessories will be offered on the Rad bikes website?
Also, I just bought a GPS hidden tracker for my future RadRover, do you think it is a viable protection? Montreal has a reputation (well deserved) to be among the worst when it comes to bikes thefts :(

Hello Rad Lovers :),
Am I the only one being impatient to discover what accessories will be offered on the Rad bikes website?
Also, I just bought a GPS hidden tracker for my future RadRover, do you think it is a viable protection? Montreal has a reputation (well deserved) to be among the worst when it comes to bikes thefts :(
A tracker is viable if you can get the authorities to act on it. Otherwise will you take it on yourself to get the bike back?

I think the authorities will definitely act on it :)
Hope not to have to try it though !!
I was just curious because I've wondered since those tracking devices have come to market it the authorities would use or act on the information.

Give us a review when you have a chance to use/install it. I'd be very interested in a first person account.

Back