Just pre-ordered a RadRover from Rad power bikes...

Ericmacfan

Hello All,
I am a newcomer to the E-bike world. I just contributed to a project on Indiegogo for the RadRover power fat bike :
http://igg.me/at/RadRover/x/7806061
I was seduced by the low price tag, looks and characteristics...
I would like your take on this...
This is the technical data, do you guys think it's a fair deal ?

Technical Specifications

MSRP $1499
Drive System Brushless Geared Hub Motor
Motor 750W
Controller 48 Volt 15 Amps Continuous (22 Amps Peak)
Display Display LCD Speedometer, Wattmeter, Odometer, Backlight, And Remote Handlebar Selector Buttons.
Suspension Front suspension fork with rebound and lockout
Battery 48V 11.6Ah Li-ion with 15 Amp Continuous BMS Samsung 29E Cells
Battery Life 15-50 Miles/24-80km* Depending On Mode
Top Speed 20 MPH/32 KPH On Flat Ground With 180lb/81kg Rider
Charger 48 Volt 2 Amp Intelligent Smart Charger Operates On Both 110 And 220 Volt AC Power Outlets
Throttle Half Twist Throttle And Intelligent 5 Level Pedal Assist
Weight 27 Kg (60.8 Lb)
Frame 6061 Aluminum Alloy
Headset Aluminum Alloy
Stem Aluminum Alloy
Handlebar Aluminum Alloy
Grips Velo Comfort Leather Grips
Front Brake Tektro Mechanical Disk Brake (180mm)
Rear Brake Tektro Mechanical Disk Brake (160mm)
Brake Levers Aluminum Alloy Comfort Grip Levers
Rear Derailleur 7 Speed Shimano
Chain KMC Z7 Rustbuster
Shift Levers Shimano thumb shifter
Cassette 7 Speed Shimano
Crankset 60 Tooth With Aluminum Alloy Crank Arms
Pedals Wellgo M111 forged aluminum
Rims Double wall aluminum alloy 32H with CNC side wall
Spokes 13 Guage Stainless Spokes And Nipples
Tires 26’’x4’’ / 660.4mmx10.16cm Kenda Juggernaut Fat Bike Tires
Saddle Comfort Gel Sport Saddle
Lights Front 200 Lumen LED Headlight Runs Directly From Main Battery. On/Off Switch Built Into LCD Guage
Fenders Optional Available After Campaign
Rear Carry Rack Optional Available After Campaign
Chain Guard Included
Kickstand Included

Hi,

You might run a search for RadRover. I think you'll find a lot of discussion. Mike, running the campaign, seems like someone with experience. We're hoping these bikes work out and people will tell us their experiences with the bikes.

This is the technical data, do you guys think it's a fair deal ?

If the specifications are accurate, then it's a reasonable (very good) price. The power and motor specifications are on target for the bike......hope it works for you.

Court J.

PS...just one minor point, the peak output of 22A is a tad light. If you are moving slowly up a grade or in sand and asking the motor for full power you may exceed this limit. Worse case, the controller shuts down to prevent damage to the controller, and/or motor. Most riders learn quickly to match cadence and gear ratio to avoid excessive loads on the motor. Bottom line, intelligent riding avoids this issue.

Yes, a lot of discussion about this. Trying to have an open mind about this particular project, because it does sound better than some of the other crowd-sourced projects.

But the bottom line is you're not buying something, you're donating with the hope of a return ... gambling. As long as you're comfortable with that...

I think the specs and price are very good and that you will have blast riding it. I'd love to read your review once you have ridden it for while. That first 750w burst of power should give you a rush. Just put it in the highest boost mode and zoom off you go. Have some fun and blow by the lycra lizards on uphill climbs...it'll blow their minds and you will be smiling the while time on your fat bike. Have fun and keep us up to date.

@Mike, I will do not worry !! I am so impatient you can't even imagine ! I have been dreaming of getting an electric bike for the last two years. I literally fell for the RadRover, especially at this price ! Hopefully the campaign goes well and I get the bike without any delay or surprise !

Eric, were you in the first production wave or just contribute? I was able to get in on the first production run, can't wait until the end of June for mine!

Eric, were you in the first production wave or just contribute? I was able to get in on the first production run, can't wait until the end of June for mine!
Paul, I was only able to sneak in the 3rd production batch ;), you will be zipping way before me !! Please post as many pics and or feedback to help me wait :)

i fully intend to provide an honest review and comparison between both my non electric fat bike (bikes direct boris x7) as well as with my current electric bike, an easy motion neo xtrem.

also, i have already bought a dnp 11-32t freewheel to upgrade the bike when i receive it. that will allow me to pedal with the bike at a higher speed. the freewheel cassette that comes with the bike is a shimano 14-28t gearing, so the new freewheel will give better gearing both high and low. dnp is the only company that still makes freewheel type cassettes that have an 11t bottom gear. hopefully the swap wont be too difficult!

also, i have already bought a dnp 11-32t freewheel to upgrade the bike when i receive it. that will allow me to pedal with the bike at a higher speed. the freewheel cassette that comes with the bike is a shimano 14-28t gearing, so the new freewheel will give better gearing both high and low. dnp is the only company that still makes freewheel type cassettes that have an 11t bottom gear. hopefully the swap wont be too difficult!
I'm definitely a newbie in the bike / tech, I guess you will be able to give me some kind of mentorship if needed :)
I am browsing through the various forums to get as much info as I can in anticipation!

Aside from crowd-funding and the attractive price ... Why a fat tire bike? It seems like an awfully specialized object...

have you ridden one? fun as hell and a more comfortable ride. also not nearly as much of a dog to ride as most people think. i enjoy it so much i am keeping my current fat bike as non electric.

Update from Ty @ Rad Power Bikes today : ''@eric Miram-Marthe-Rose, 750 watts peak and 500 watts nominal. There is a 22 amp motor controller so it is capable of even higher wattage but the system is limited to 750 watts so you will see 750 watts continuous while climbing extreme hills. Average consumption on flat ground is generally 250-400 watts. Brake model is Tektrp Novelo. Stay tuned, more info on accessories coming VERY soon!''
- Ty, Rad Power Bikes

Cannot wait !!!

Does that seem a bit high for cruising on level? Just asking...

How do you figure? The motor is set to be what it is - if you pedal along with it I'm sure it would use less as well. Honestly curious what your thought behind the question is?

Does that seem a bit high for cruising on level? Just asking...

I'm no expert, but that seems about right to me. I have a 500-watt hub motor and I imagine that it's usually putting out 200-500W on flat ground because I generally have it in the highest PAS mode. I'd be very surprised to see people using 750W hub motors and averaging 100-150W of assist, because with that little power output, they'd be going less than 20mph, and the primary benefit of going electric is to go 20mph+ without having to break a sweat (if people want to go only 15mph, they're better off with a non-electric bike in all cases except in areas with a lot of hills).

I would add that going 15 on a regular bike is some days not doable to my knees/back. The primary benefit for me is i am still able to go (some days), some days the primary benefit is I can for long excursions, some days I may be able to ride a regular but those day see above (going above 20!maybe 28!)

My point is these bike do different things for different people, your benefits may not be what I want and maybe the opposite is true also . I would have at least 750 if i could on a mid drive. My little Subaru can still do 90 and my Infiniti can do 150 I think, I don't though ;)

How do you figure? The motor is set to be what it is - if you pedal along with it I'm sure it would use less as well. Honestly curious what your thought behind the question is?

Just curious, but when you said "pedal with it", that's probably the answer.

My bike is pedal assist only, 350 watts. On level ground holding 20 miles an hour usually indicates about one quarter on the usage meter. Does this mean about 88 watts being supplied by the motor?

It never occurred to me that the measurements we are discussing would apply to all motor and no pedal assist.

Back