Just Joined

ETAF

Region
United Kingdom
City
UK, near Chichester, west Sussex
we hired some e-bikes last year for the day, and went round the new forest for a day and had some fun, and have been considering this for some time
we only wanted plan to go on paths and cycle tracks - NOT fully off road

now both well into retirement , we decided to go for the e-bikes

Planning to goto
new forest for odd days out
Staying in the forest of dean
Devon parks - dartmoor or exmoor

Mine is an IDEAL - PRISMA 810 WAVE step through - i have mine and did a short run today - 10mins
Wifes is a Whisper, step through - expecting to arrive next week , but as she wanted the normal pedal motor , not the extra torque type motor , i got the Middle rated battery 575Wh , as i understood , with the motor , not as much power saving as its not proportional to the pedals

Now of course then we thought about how we use while on breaks and so

Having a tow bar fitted on my Audi A3 convertible Monday
Have a Thule fold a way 2 bike carrier , purchased a used one , BUT shop is getting me a new one as lost the keys

We have also purchased a few accessories
2x Bike locks - Alarm D-Lock and cable - fitted nicely on the ideal
Basket for the whisper
Saddle bags for the Ideal
Extra Covers , mine does not fit - so going back
Bike Stands , so we can just stand safely in the garage
helmet
chain lub
Brake cleaner
Small tool kit

Over the weekend i have been looking at getting a GPS
I had the Etrek 10 - for years and never used and did not like
watched many videos and been on forums

Shortlisted to the Twonav models , Roc, Cross or Terra - BUT still not sure
maybe add a Garmin or a Wahoo into the mix
Decided to get a device with 1:25K OS maps

I may ask a question here later

Oh getting an ebike is fun. It took me 5-6 months of research before deciding on a Ride1Up700. I really liked that process. The bike has been great. I’ve since turned the bike inside out and the motor and battery are the only original electronics left. Everything else has been replaced. I haven’t had any issues, just wanted more from what I already had. That, and I like tweaking things. Not like Tim, The Tool, Tayler, but in a more sane manner.

ENJOY YOUR RIDES!!

It took me 5-6 months of research before deciding
i must admit , that is usually my process and often then not end up not buying , if a very expensive item.
we had looked at them before covid and tested , but my wife fell off , as i got her to try the bike i was riding and it was to high
Also we hired last year and enjoyed the day in New forest Lyndhurst

However , this process was very very short , and really not like me at all, and still in shock / buyers remorse

Decided to get wifes old dawes (1995ish) mountain bike serviced as it had ben sitting around since before covid, and mine , which had not been used since maybe 2010 ish
BUT we also decided to go to halfords on the same morning , before droping the bike off , just to see the cost of a new bike and see if the service was worth while
anyway she played with a couple of mountain bikes and they were £400+ and so we also looked at E-Bike (around £1800), so decided the serice was fine

Also my other half is suffering from fatique syndrom - so i was not really keen on the mountain bike and encouraged her for a e-bike

took the bike to the service shop, and he recommended another bike shop (he does not sell) and he had just purchased for M-In-law
so we went off, as they also had on the site a cafe with a really good all-day breakfast

Next thing , she is trying out the whisper and a huge grin on her face - so we had to go for it - with higher battery (£1599)
i said would they do a deal if i got one too - so looked at a few of there models , and they had some on offer in the shop with £500 off and he said he would also give another £200 off if we purchased

and so I did £2,800 !!!!!!! ---- what am i doing
then transport - tow bar , then carrier , then covers for garage, stands for the garage - as it gets really dusty and i do DIY in there , then locks , then tools , then helmet , and so on - sucked in now , no point in a bikes if we dont take them with us
£6,000

I had a small amount of money left to me from a very wealthy friend , and it had been looking for a home for a while now , almost gone

Now a GPS, researching this one like i used to - all weekend so far

so in one morning , i had gone from spending may £80 on a service , new tyres, cables for a dawes bike, to £1000's

anyway - we know have biking holidays booked
new forest - days out
Forest of dean - a mid week break
Devon another mid week break

Last edited:
ETAF congratulations on your new bikes, hopefully they will bring much joy to your lives. Anything that gets you outside enjoying nature and pumping fresh air into your lungs is worth the expense.

update

Thanks for all the advie and recommendations - very useful

been looking at various yourtube videos and discussed with the tech support guy at gpstraining this morning various options - great customer service

I jave now purchased the Twonav Roc with 1:25 OS mapping
Bag
out front bike mount

should be arriving tomorrow , by royal mail traced express delivery

I also get a subscription to tonline raining videos, and phone and email support , and if necessary they also use remote access - which i use when supporting my old customers on PC help

Back