Just got a Shred

With the Haibike setup, the display is kind of like a pocket Nintendo that slides upwards and out of the cradle and you can take it with you...
I wonder why more ebike manufacturers don't make this a standard. We slide everything else on our handlebars into some sort of cradle: cyclometer, headlight, etc.

I wonder why more ebike manufacturers don't make this a standard. We slide everything else on our handlebars into some sort of cradle: cyclometer, headlight, etc.
I'll do you one better !! How about someone offer a flat cradle display dock that can interface with the handlebar controller for setting the bikes parameters (PAS level, On/Off) but that flat dock will accept your phone ?? Your phone already has music stored on it to play, offers GPS to display your route, can accept a phone call while riding, can charge via the cradle (my old ass Windows phone has offered wireless charging and hands free text to speech via my SUVs stereo FOUR YEARS AGO, and yet even today these stupid Iphones and Droid phones are JUST NOW offering wireless charging and text to speech hands free in a vehicle - but I digress).

Anyhoo ... where was I ??? .. oh, how about we have the ability to use your phone to be the display ?? We can trim the price of bikes by $20, AND we can provide a HUGE advance in ability by offering the multitude of options that the phone already supports ?
Bigger screens with better resolutions ?? CHECK
More display options with resizable text for guy like me losing their 20/20 vision ? CHECK
Ability to take the display with us, rendering the bike a non-powered 50+ lb brick that a bike thief now has to try and pedal away on ? CHECK
Ability to customize the display with skins, so we could emulate a DPC-18 or a color Haibike display ? CHECK

Pipe dream ... I know. Manufactureres like to lock us into their own standards so they can control the overall feel of the display. but I think it is a huge missed opportunity when everything else we use in the world is tied to our phone that we use all the time.

Doc, thanks for pointing that out. I have heard mention of it but hadn't researched it at this point. I'm so new to riding that I am really like a sponge - just sucking up whatever information I can get - and have a pretty narrow focus on what appeals to me so far. I have only ridden 2 ebikes so far - both for less than 200 years, so I am still quite 'green', but I very much appreciate you guys providing a wealth of information in the forums. OK, back on topic ...

Pretty decent ebike for $1899. 28 mph top speed, X5, Hydro brakes, Throttle Torque Sensing, Built in Headlight

Thanks for the great review. I just ordered a Shred as well (my first eBike too) after reams of research. I did test-drive a nice Giant mid-drive that I found on sale (and therefore within my price range). It was very nice, but the lack of a throttle killed it for me. The pedal-assist was quite smooth on the Giant - much more so than the Magnum Peak that I tested. I'm hoping the Shred is smoother than that, and it sounds like it will be. I ordered the larger battery, so I'm expecting some decent range.

I'm just imagining myself riding the last mile home from work on a hot day and wanting to go pure electric with a throttle. The Shred will allow me to do that. Another thing the Shred has going for it is a complete lack of lime-green or bright orange stickers all over it.

Cool! I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on it. I hope as more people get them, they post what they liked and didn't like, and how much these features matter to them.

Did they tell you when to expect it? When I ordered (a month or so ago) they had a big shipment coming in, and mine was in that bunch. Did they still have some of those available, or are you waiting for the next shipment?

Lol on the lime green. I actually have an immature streak in me, and I would have liked a splash of that lime green. Oh well, I can always get the stickers.:eek:

I'll do you one better !! How about someone offer a flat cradle display dock that can interface with the handlebar controller for setting the bikes parameters (PAS level, On/Off) but that flat dock will accept your phone ?? Your phone already has music stored on it to play, offers GPS to display your route, can accept a phone call while riding, can charge via the cradle (my old ass Windows phone has offered wireless charging and hands free text to speech via my SUVs stereo FOUR YEARS AGO, and yet even today these stupid Iphones and Droid phones are JUST NOW offering wireless charging and text to speech hands free in a vehicle - but I digress).

Anyhoo ... where was I ??? .. oh, how about we have the ability to use your phone to be the display ?? We can trim the price of bikes by $20, AND we can provide a HUGE advance in ability by offering the multitude of options that the phone already supports ?
Bigger screens with better resolutions ?? CHECK
More display options with resizable text for guy like me losing their 20/20 vision ? CHECK
Ability to take the display with us, rendering the bike a non-powered 50+ lb brick that a bike thief now has to try and pedal away on ? CHECK
Ability to customize the display with skins, so we could emulate a DPC-18 or a color Haibike display ? CHECK

Pipe dream ... I know. Manufactureres like to lock us into their own standards so they can control the overall feel of the display. but I think it is a huge missed opportunity when everything else we use in the world is tied to our phone that we use all the time.

I might me in the minority, probably! I don't want an ebike that relies on my smartphone, that I'm using right now. I can hear it, luddite! No, I've been using computers since my IBM 8086 in the early 80's. And working in technology based business since then as well. I've been using a wireless charging phone for 2 years. I'll be happy with a new electric Harley to replace my current HD. I have Alexa in my home, shocked me the first time I called it stupido_O. Burned out to a degree? Maybe. Not old yet! I want assist, but I still want to ride a bike, not a computer.

Pause... Had to switch to the laptop, my thumbs don't work like some...;)

Yeah, I know there's a computer there, but my bike looks like a bike and mostly rides like a bike. Okay, a bike can rely on a smartphone that cannot get any signal, but there are already bikes that cannot survive without getting a signal at some point. If it needs an update, I'll plug it in within the cone of silence around my home or car. Signals are everywhere right? Wrong. I've had all day treks in the mountains of Pennsylvania (45-50 miles) where I never had a signal, not once. There aren't any carriers that have towers in some mountainous areas. If I didn't have AT&T the local rail trail that runs down into Maryland, you couldn't make a call or text. Verizon is nowhere to be found. The big V isn't very good in my entire county, friends say. Once a bike needs a smartphone to operate it will eventually need a signal to operate at all. That's how the device makers make money, control. I'll pay the money when I have to, but I want to maintain some control and I want my e-assist-bike to assist me where I want to ride.

I hope that doesn't confine me to a low tech bike some day.

Sorry to the thread, rant over. I think I've wanted to say that for awhile. And WalkinTarget and I know each other, so I hope no offense is taken because none was meant.

DaveS - thank you for the pics. This one is on me .. I misinterpreted Court's comment on the display. I thought he meant it could not easily be removed from the handlebars, when in fact he meant it does not disconnect from the underside of the display carrier. With the Haibike setup, the display is kind of like a pocket Nintendo that slides upwards and out of the cradle and you can take it with you (wish it played Asteroids or Missile Command, but alas it just tells you the time :confused:)

WalkinTarget-Ahh yes, slide out display-which comes in handy when locking the bike up and leaving it outside. The first thing I do is slide it off and place in my pocket on the Easy Motion bikes. They actually have 2 different kinds that do it. A side mount and center mount. Another good selling point by BH which was a nice feature for the end user. Would be nice if other mfgs followed up with this design for their interface.

Prior to ordering, I called their sales team. They said they had just gotten a large shipment in (I spoke to them Tuesday, 5/29). They said the bikes were ready to ship, including the larger battery. I'm not sure when it'll arrive, but I just got shipping confirmation this morning. I'll certainly check back in once I get it up and running.

Got mine in yesterday. First thing I did was to change out the tires (2.1" instead of 2.8") and seat.
ebike.jpg

Last edited:
I changed the tires out because I live in a state that’s ebikes aren’t legal yet. I wanted it to look more like a bike and less showy so at first glance nobody would notice anything. My leg pretty much covers up the battery. The bike so far is pretty nice and I’m actually on a trail right now grabbing water. Love it. Worth it. Buy it.

I changed the tires out because I live in a state that’s ebikes aren’t legal yet. I wanted it to look more like a bike and less showy so at first glance nobody would notice anything. My leg pretty much covers up the battery. The bike so far is pretty nice and I’m actually on a trail right now grabbing water. Love it. Worth it. Buy it.

That's too bad we have to hide it. It's so close minded of the people who don't understand they are the future. I rode my wife's Giant yesterday and I couldn't wait to get back on my bike. Every naysayer who rides it, has to admit how much fun it is and it still feels like a bike.

lol, just got back from 20 mile trail. My fiance's bike got a flat at the last 4 miles. I dropped her off at a store and booked it 28 mph down the trail to get the vehicle. Not going to lie, would have sucked trying to rush back with just my own strength.

What I like about the bike too is that even with it shut off I can still ride it like a normal bike, didn't notice the extra weight or resistance, felt smooth.

I've had the bike a couple of days and I've put about 50 miles on it. The pedal assist is way smoother than other rear hub bikes I've ridden and the power is phenomenal. In level 3 of PA, the sweet spot is about 23 MPH and you can just go and go. The shipping was super-fast and assembly was simple.

The charger gets pretty hot when charging. Is that normal? Like, so hot you almost don't want to touch it. I'm gonna look for a more powerful charger. The one they supply is only 2A. It has no cooling fan.

The throttle works fine and is not gated by the current PA level. Court should update his review. The only problems I had was the light was all scratched up from getting shoved into the forks during packing/shipping and the top derailleur stop was not set, so the first thing that happened was the chain got thrown into the space between the motor and the sprocket, so look out for that. I should have checked it first.

This thing is a beast. I was afraid the tires might be too big for my tastes. I've ridden fat bikes and didn't like them at all. This does not feel like a fat bike. It is very rideable even with the power off. I'm loving this thing.

The charger gets pretty hot when charging. Is that normal? Like, so hot you almost don't want to touch it. I'm gonna look for a more powerful charger. The one they supply is only 2A. It has no cooling fan.
See my post in this thread on that, and let us know if it made any difference.

Yeah, it's sitting on my workbench, unencumbered. I'm wondering if I could pry it apart and drill some vent holes in the case. I don't see any screws, unless they're under the rubber feet. I can't imagine how hot it is inside the case. No electronics can last long under these conditions.

I see a lot of 48V chargers on Amazon, but most have a different plug (XLR?). Can that plug into the port at the other end of the battery?

Back