Just Finished Up My X1 Ultra Installation

Yeah, first thing I checked. It's good. Is that a plugged in connection under the plastic side cover or does it run through the main cable? Thanks

EDIT: Just checked the wiring that came with my Archon that I did not use and the magnet wire IS one that plugs in under the plastic cover LOOKS LIKE.

Last edited:
Yeah, first thing I checked. It's good. Is that a plugged in connection under the plastic side cover or does it run through the main cable? Thanks

EDIT: Just checked the wiring that came with my Archon that I did not use and the magnet wire IS one that plugs in under the plastic cover LOOKS LIKE.
it has its own cable - white connector. Hmm.. weird.

it has its own cable - white connector. Hmm.. weird.
Yeah you lot package a new magnet ( thanks ) and sensor with a not very long wire and it has a white three pronged (shrouded clip type) connector.

On another note: anybody figure out how to get a light direct wired to the battery? I know the subject has come up but I can't remember where. Thanks. 👍

Yeah you lot package a new magnet ( thanks ) and sensor with a not very long wire and it has a white three pronged (shrouded clip type) connector.

On another note: anybody figure out how to get a light direct wired to the battery? I know the subject has come up but I can't remember where. Thanks. 👍
What voltage does the light take?

We are getting the new boards to do the lights. hoping end of Feb / early March. Will come with a splitter harness for lights and more.

What voltage does the light take?

We are getting the new boards to do the lights. hoping end of Feb / early March. Will come with a splitter harness for lights and more.
No real idea of the voltage. It's a little thing that came with the bike. Says: Cree T6 IPX-6 NO X3 on the side of it. It looks like something that would run off a couple of C cells. Maybe I can buy a battery cradle and wire it up on my own. The light has it's own switch on it. I have no plans to ride at night much, if ever.

@ reed scott : So I just started reading this thread and I'm a little confused . Did you buy another bike beside the generic Frey or did you modifying it ?

The rear cadence sensor does have a rather short cable with a white plug on its end. It only need to plug into the separate short cable that comes out of the motor housing so it should be long enough. That should be one of the connections under the plastic cover. As far as I know with the lights is that the motor is kinda wired for aux lighting but the controllers aren't programed for them yet. Otherwise you can go with a separate power source and switch in the meantime or go with a rechargeable one. The main harness cable has (2) plugs for the brake cut-offs, throttle, and display. Since I am not using the brake cut-offs I am using one of those plugs for my shift sensor and the one coming from the motor housing I safed off. Funny why you wouldn't have speed on your display. From what I know if the cadence sensor doesn't receive a signal pulse after a short period of time it shuts the whole system down BBSHD for sure and I think the Ultra also. Could it be a setting on your display that isn't enabled? Most importantly did it ever work in the first place?

The rear cadence sensor does have a rather short cable with a white plug on its end. It only need to plug into the separate short cable that comes out of the motor housing so it should be long enough. That should be one of the connections under the plastic cover. As far as I know with the lights is that the motor is kinda wired for aux lighting but the controllers aren't programed for them yet. Otherwise you can go with a separate power source and switch in the meantime or go with a rechargeable one. The main harness cable has (2) plugs for the brake cut-offs, throttle, and display. Since I am not using the brake cut-offs I am using one of those plugs for my shift sensor and the one coming from the motor housing I safed off. Funny why you wouldn't have speed on your display. From what I know if the cadence sensor doesn't receive a signal pulse after a short period of time it shuts the whole system down BBSHD for sure and I think the Ultra also. Could it be a setting on your display that isn't enabled? Most importantly did it ever work in the first place?
Thanks Greeno. Just went thru the display settings and don't see anything. The cadence sensor must be partially working at least or as you say ... the motor would shut down. I guess my next trick is to replace the sensor with the new wire and make the connection under the plastic cover. I do notice this connector has three pins. Maybe one got bent out of position or something. Yes the speedo worked on the old motor but Wattwagons sent me a new display and I mounted that one.

Can you swap to the old one and see if that still works?
Ah, screw it. Who needs a speedo? I may try to look at the cadence sensor plug. I don't want to pull the 4 main cable plugs again. Those delicate little things don't look like they can take much. Besides I tried to pull the green connection last night and it is stuck stuck stuck and I have pretty strong clod buster hands. :oops: Don't worry about it Pushkar. I'm happy.

Got My Throttle back. Just by messing around really. Decided to install the new throttle that came with the Archon X1 as previously I had just left the original identical throttle on the bike and plugged it into the new main cable. Low and behold. Throttle works fine. For all I know just the act of unplugging and plugging back in might have done the trick. Regardless ... I now have throttle again.

EDIT: Which allowed me to cross a creek which runs between houses here without getting my feet totally wet. Just damp. And I found out my back fender is way too short to the rear. Thanks Kyle. :confused: (nobody's perfect though)

Still have no speedometer however. Power use on the display graph works but speedometer does not. I have no freekin idea. Any help much appreciated. 👍
When I upgraded my wheels I had a issue where it all worked but the speedo did not, turns out that I forgot to put the magnet on the new wheel "Duh". So check your magnet is aligned with the sensor.
And check the wires going from the sensor to the motor.
Edit just saw that you have had this advice already please ignore.

Rode some more today. Really impressed with the torque sensing and power delivery. It really is perfect. The previous motor was good but Pushkar's motor is 'smarter'. The torque sensing is literally 'delicate'. And refined. It's hard to explain. Used throttle from stop today for the first time. Made sure I was in a middle gear. 6th or 7th. Right up the steepest hill on the place and accelerated all the way up. About 75 yards. Also getting better at shifting. You don't think you are using any motor power because you may not think you are pressing at all on the pedals but really you need to stop pedaling for an instant because the motor is applying just enough power to make for a less than perfect shift. Then of course you have to rotate the crank just enough to make the shift. It's actually a tad tricky. I guess I don't have shift sensor. (noob still learning)

You aren’t sure if you have a shift sensor? If you do, wouldn’t it be a cable switch located on the derailleur cable near the rear derailleur and the right chain stay?

I would think a shift sensor should be manditory on any e bike. You dont know if you have one? Its about as big as your little finger and the shift cable will be running through it. Makes a world of difference to have one.

Mine doesn’t have one and it isn’t really needed if you shift properly. But then again it’s an underpowered Euroweenie motor, so....... lol!

Edit: I’ve read posts where people have complained that the power delay was too long when shifting. Is this delay adjustable?

Last edited:
I dont believe so. Maybe in the controller software but I havent seen it.

At higher PAS the power blends in much faster so even with gear shift sensor I found I have to be more careful when shifting at higher PAS. It's not an issue at lower PAS. I normally wouldn't be shifting much at high PAS but it manifested when I had the 52V controller and the controller was nannying the 48V battery at what it thought was critically low SOC so I had to bump up the PAS to compensate.

I have a different ebike that has a gear shift sensor and to be honest I do not really trust it and it does not react and switch the motor off quick enough I always have made sure to let off the power manualy.
I tend to shift immediatly after letting off the power and the inertia in the drivetrain actually shifts the gear perfectly.

Quick question for the masses. Is Bafang one of the only ones to utilize a shift sensor? Only ridden Bafang motor bikes and a few Haibikes but I can't remember about those. Im sure shifting gears under load has to be addressed by the other manufacturers.

Back