Juiced CCS Squeaky front wheel/brake?

ripman

Hey all fellow CCS owners.. I have had mine for just 2 days and absolutely love it.

Except this morning on my second trip out I noticed the bike squeaks when walking the bike over a certain spot of the wheel it seems...

Also then when I ran some errands with it i noticed the front brake squeaks very heavily when front braking. Before that I was only applying back brakes, but this time I happened to be riding one handed and really noticed what sounded like disc squeak upon brake application.

Have you guys encountered this? I've reached out to Juiced support but was curious if this is normal and just a matter of applying some grease somewhere, or a known issue, etc.

I shot a quick video on my phone for reference on the walking squeak I noticed before my ride -

Big thanks in advance,
-Levi

So you shouldn't have any sound from the brakes just rolling. The first thing I'd check is the front wheel to verify its on straight, (release the lever on the skewer while the bike is on the ground and while the bike is vertical -not on the kick stand- reapply the lever). If this does not work then you should re-center the brake caliper; (loosen the bolts mounting the caliper to the fork, have another person apply solid steady force to the brake lever, re-tighten the caliper mount bolts.)
The only time I get noise from my rotors is under heavy prolonged braking, once the rotor heats up.

So you shouldn't have any sound from the brakes just rolling. The first thing I'd check is the front wheel to verify its on straight, (release the lever on the skewer while the bike is on the ground and while the bike is vertical -not on the kick stand- reapply the lever). If this does not work then you should re-center the brake caliper; (loosen the bolts mounting the caliper to the fork, have another person apply solid steady force to the brake lever, re-tighten the caliper mount bolts.)
The only time I get noise from my rotors is under heavy prolonged braking, once the rotor heats up.

Yeah I’m going to take it to a LBS so they can make sure everything is aligned properly, just to be safe. Don’t think it should be doing this practically right out of the box and don’t want to mess with it myself until I really know what I’m doing (newbie over here)!

Ok upon close inspection I can see exactly what the issue is for why the brake is squeaking on a slow roll.

68713623-2ABF-4F89-921B-92034EB1A1C7.jpeg

Forgive my layman’s terminology, but the silver metal disc (rotor?) is contacting the black piece (brake pad?) slightly at a certain place. Have to roll slowly to hear it but i can feel it lightly grinding/vibrating when i put my hand on the rotor and if i very gently push the rotor away, the squeak stops. So Im guessing either the rotor or brake pad needs adjusting so it does not make contact until the brake is applied. Is it safe to continue riding like this until next week when I have time to be without transportation? Or do you guys think this is somehow causing damage and shouldnt be ridden on?

Thank you for your wisdom and taking the time to help me better understand these things!

Yeah I’m going to take it to a LBS so they can make sure everything is aligned properly, just to be safe. Don’t think it should be doing this practically right out of the box and don’t want to mess with it myself until I really know what I’m doing (newbie over here)!

My experience tells me not uncommon to have to tune a bike after shipment. They travel a long way by land and by sea, sometimes air, and despite the best intention of the seller and their diligent packing, shipments can be hard on mechanical items.

Being fully transparent I'm biased and purchase through LBS's. Part of the bike price I'm willing to pay for is the inspection and mechanical tune up the LBS does before presenting the bike to me for acceptance. I'm also willing to pay for as part of the bike price the fitting of the bike to me.

I'm impressed and respect those that can buy direct and do all the mechanical adjustments and fine tuning after receiving the shipment. That just ain't me! I like to ride not fix! :) I just want the product I buy to work as I'm not mechanically or fix it inclined.

The rotor is slightly warped, or out of true. You can bend it back, using special truing tools, or an adjustable wrench, or even using finger pressure. An out of true rotor is perfectly safe to use; it is merely annoying.

My experience tells me not uncommon to have to tune a bike after shipment. They travel a long way buy land and sea, sometimes air, and despite the best intention of the seller and their diligent packing, shipments can be hard on mechanical items.

Being fully transparent I'm biased and purchase through LBS's. Part of the bike price I'm willing to pay for is the inspection and mechanical tune up the LBS does before presenting the bike to me for acceptance. I'm also willing to pay for as part of the bike price the fitting of the bike to me.

I'm impressed and respect those that can buy direct and do all the mechanical adjustments and fine tuning after receiving the shipment. That just ain't me! I like to ride not fix! :) I just want the product I buy to work as I'm not mechanically or fix it inclined.

All very valid points sir! I suffered my first day with incredible saddle soreness until i spent hours on youtube and adjusting my seat height just right. Now today after a several hour ride, no pains. I never knew just how complex something as seemingly simple as replacing my car with a bike could be! However I am really enjoying the process and learning and absorbing all I can. When you know better, you do better!

All very valid points sir! I suffered my first day with incredible saddle soreness until i spent hours on youtube and adjusting my seat height just right. Now today after a several hour ride, no pains. I never knew just how complex something as seemingly simple as replacing my car with a bike could be! However I am really enjoying the process and learning and absorbing all I can. When you know better, you do better!

Yeah the biggest challenge I'm having with renting e-bikes to do extended tests is the saddle that comes with it! :) Agreed with a bit of tuning, which I have been doing myself on the seat, I can find a reasonable position so I can focus on the test drive.

Glad you are having fun!

Don't rely on rear brakes alone under most circumstances. 70% of braking power comes from the front brake. Ebikes tend to be heavy and fast. You want the best braking you can get. The only time I rely more on the rear brake is in a tight gravelly turn when I wouldn't want to risk locking up into a slide. Otherwise, you could use the front brake exclusively if for some reason you wanted to. Because of the way your center of gravity shifts forward under deceleration, you're not going to skid unless the road surface is slick, sandy, or otherwise compromised.

Don't rely on rear brakes alone under most circumstances. 70% of braking power comes from the front brake. Ebikes tend to be heavy and fast. You want the best braking you can get. The only time I rely more on the rear brake is in a tight gravelly turn when I wouldn't want to risk locking up into a slide. Otherwise, you could use the front brake exclusively if for some reason you wanted to. Because of the way your center of gravity shifts forward under deceleration, you're not going to skid unless the road surface is slick, sandy, or otherwise compromised.

Good to know! Same as motorcycle brakes then... I’m feeling more confident to adjust the brake pads myself and think I can eliminate the squeak. Do you notice this on your disc brakes, Bruce?

Same as motorcycles, yeah. That's where I learned it first.

I get some squeal under heavy braking. I'd make some adjustments if it were squealing while just riding. Even a slight touch of pad to rotor will wear things out unnecessarily. Not drastically, but who needs it anyway?

I just worked on a Juiced Rip-Current. It was brand new. Normally a complaint of brake noise is caliper alignment or a slightly warped rotor. This one had fouled pads. Typically using acetone will clean them. These pads were too far gone. It sounded like a bad violin. Replacing the pads took care of it.

Back