Juiced Bikes 40 mph!!

40 mph is the kind of ammo the Anti Ebike crowd is just dying for in making their case to ban these things from off road trails and municipal bike paths. Instead of touting all out speed as Harris seems to do, why not go after being a true pioneer in marketing an ebike that can go an honest 100 miles and an average speed of 20-25 mph on a single charge? Well, that's my worthless .02 cents, anyway!

I don't understand Juiced Bike's business model. By producing a 40 mph ebike that will ultimately run afoul of the law, they risk ebike laws being toughened. That will negatively affect sales of their other products as well as those of the entire industry. Makes no sense to me.

Sorry, but anything that can sustain 40mph shouldn't even be called a bicycle. Maybe call it an electric scooter with pedal assist?

Please Juiced, market it under some other name, if you must sell it at all. Just because it's possible does not mean its a good idea. Something like this should maybe even require a motorcycle license or something similar, if it's allowed to legally operate on public roadways at all.

There is no reason the top assist speed of the Juiced ebike should be a problem...anymore than a Bugatti Veron is when going the speed limit. Why is it that the we all seem to understand that the top speed of all the different cars on market vary greatly but we are OK knowing that speed limits on the various roads are the way to regulate travel speeds and not limiting the capability of the cars themselves.

I think the world can deal with the risk that ebiker may ride 35-40mph on a street bike path to get to work a bit faster than some slow poke on a traditional bike on the side walk. I trust that 99.9% of bike riders will not be wreck-less when riding the faster assist ebikes just like most people that own sports cars are not wreckless when driving. C'mon ebike community stop being mamby pambies and thinking ebikes like the Juice Hyperfat are a threat to ruin the image of ebikes for everyone. I was riding my recumbent on the street bike lane just the other day at about 35mph and I don't think my intent was to do harm to the industry or to be unsafe. I was just trying to reduce my commute time a bit. I think all of us ride at that speed occasionally when going downhill and the world doesn't come to an end so please stop with the pandoras box arguments that it's going to get the regulators salivating to control the industry.

We as riders can accept the risk and some would even be willing to accept it themselves. The issue is those who have this crazy desire to control everything and get elected to do so, can not.

"That guy is going too fast, there must be a law".

We have some really nice bike lanes that unfortunately no one uses. I never see bikes on them.
where? Suburban Detroit has zilch. Lots of pickup truck drivers and large SUV's with only one person in them driving everywhere, including 200 yards up the street. I see that all the time. hahaha. sad.

There is no reason the top assist speed of the Juiced ebike should be a problem...anymore than a Bugatti Veron is when going the speed limit. Why is it that the we all seem to understand that the top speed of all the different cars on market vary greatly but we are OK knowing that speed limits on the various roads are the way to regulate travel speeds and not limiting the capability of the cars themselves.

I think the world can deal with the risk that ebiker may ride 35-40mph on a street bike path to get to work a bit faster than some slow poke on a traditional bike on the side walk. I trust that 99.9% of bike riders will not be wreck-less when riding the faster assist ebikes just like most people that own sports cars are not wreckless when driving. C'mon ebike community stop being mamby pambies and thinking ebikes like the Juice Hyperfat are a threat to ruin the image of ebikes for everyone. I was riding my recumbent on the street bike lane just the other day at about 35mph and I don't think my intent was to do harm to the industry or to be unsafe. I was just trying to reduce my commute time a bit. I think all of us ride at that speed occasionally when going downhill and the world doesn't come to an end so please stop with the pandoras box arguments that it's going to get the regulators salivating to control the industry.

We are all entitled to our own opinions but comparing fast cars to fast ebikes is not valid. A fast car will not cause all cars to be banned from the road. Ebikes and associated laws are in their infancy. It won't take many complaints to get them banned from roads and trails. Ebikes are a far easier target for lawmakers than automobiles.

Roads are a different issue. They are designed for high speed travel. Bike trails are not. Most I've ridden have a posted speed limit of 15 mph. Speed limits are enforced on roads and repeat offenders eventually lose their licenses. At present, there is no speed enforcement on bike trails. An ebike doing 35 or 40 on one of these trails will eventually kill or severely injure someone. When that happens, it will most certainly result in anti ebike legislation. Yes, 99.9% of fast ebike owners will likely ride responsibly. All it will take is ONE outlaw to negatively affect the already fragile ebike laws.

My concern isn't so much about somebody being killed or badly injured on a trail. It's more about developing a bad taste in the mouths of the organized clubs that have been battling for decent trails for years and are now getting them. THEY are the ones that have the politicians ears. THEY have earned that.

E-bikes already struggle to be accepted here. It will take very little to ban them. Just rumors of bikes capable of 40mph may be all the ammo they need.

Bottom line, with class 2 e-bikes in their infancy as we are now, without a lot of voice in the matter as our numbers are still so low, we need to be on our Sunday best. One idiot can do a tremendous amount of damage that will affect us all for years.....

it's like buying a corvette, but it does not mean that you'll be speeding all the time. However, it's nice to know that it has higher limits and you can put them into use when needed or when you want to.

This is helpful most especially if you are commuting and there are segments of your route that you are forced to ride outside of the bike lanes and join the car traffic.

Last edited:
No, not like a Corvette. Corvettes have established legal rights about where they can be run, and how, with enforcement already in place.

E-bikes have NONE of that.... with many/most running in a very gray area.

No, not like a Corvette. Corvettes have established legal rights about where they can be run, and how, with enforcement already in place.

E-bikes have NONE of that.... with many/most running in a very gray area.
Actually, in some places (including where I live) there are already laws explicitly prohibiting ebikes from bike paths. However they're not actively being enforced here, to my knowledge. But all it will take is one or two incidents -- or maybe a handful of non-incidents, but just people very startled by the speed of someone passing them, and speaking up about it -- and that may change.

Again, all I ask is that Juiced doesn't call this product a bicycle, but something else, perhaps "electric scooter with pedal assist." I just don't want to share the blowback when the inevitable moron does something imprudent on a path designed for only pedestrians and bicycles. I want the news reports about that incident to call the vehicle a scooter or motorbike, not a bicycle. Juiced can even use this differention to their advantage in their marketing?

Last edited:
Actually, in some places (including where I live) there are already laws explicitly prohibiting ebikes from bike paths. However they're not actively being enforced here, to my knowledge. But all it will take is one or two incidents -- or maybe a handful of non-incidents, but just people very startled by the speed of someone passing them, and speaking up about it -- and that may change.

Again, all I ask is that Juiced doesn't call this product a bicycle, but something else, perhaps "electric scooter with pedal assist." I just don't want to share the blowback when the inevitable moron does something imprudent on a path designed for only pedestrians and bicycles. I want the news reports about that incident to call the vehicle a scooter or motorbike, not a bicycle. Juiced can even use this differention to their advantage in their marketing?

Juicebike has defaulted the program to class 3, however, the owner can also elect to tune it down to class 2, as well as change the setting to off-road mode.

It's user's discretion and responsibility (I supposed it's also there in the fine prints).

C'mon ebike community stop being mamby pambies and thinking ebikes like the Juice Hyperfat are a threat to ruin the image of ebikes for everyone.
I'm with you, Ken. As hobbies go, "viewing with alarm" is highly over-rated. I bet there are 50 Pedego owners like my wife and @Amy out there making ebikes look safe and fun and practical, for every Hyperfat owner. Maybe 100. Maybe more.

Ten years from now, when ebikes are more mainstream and a lot of these early struggles have been resolved, and a lot of stuff that people fretted over never came to pass, posts like these will be very humorous (if they ever see the light of day again.)

Juiced Bikes isn't selling bikes that will somehow have a political impact. They are selling bikes that people want. I believe this state of affairs is called capitalism.

As I've said many times, if you don't like Juiced's products or how they operate, don't do business with them.

I just sold my BMW R1200RT. It's capable of doing well in excess of 100 mph, which isn't legal in any state of the Union. But when you need that surge of power to pass another vehicle, or get your @ss out of a tight spot, it's there. Contrary to those who say the comparison of ebikes to muscle cars isn't a propos because cars have settled rules and regulations, don't try to tell a motorcycle owner that. People are always trying to pass laws about motorcycles. The comparison is apt.

Crashing, even at 40mph, is another thing. I laid down my motorcycle going at just 35mph a few weeks ago when a car pulled in front of me, slide 5-6 feet, hit my helmet face first on the asphalt and got serious road rash on the left entire side of my body. This is with gear on, which without would have undoubtedly been more serious. It shook me up. Most people riding eBikes at high speeds have very minimal protection on including helmet and I can't imagine the same accident on an ebike at 35-40mph with only t-shirt, shorts and bike helmet on. Safe ebiking is up to the rider and I think in many cases, safety is an after thought. Get launched off an ebike at 40 and you will heed Uncle Ben's words.

Last edited:
To those of you that are pro 40 mph eBike: at what point do you draw the line? 50 mph? 60 mph? At what point do you think a drivers license should be required? How about license plates, insurance?

Yeah, I can second jazz's concern about wiping out @40mph. I was going about that speed when I laid down my motorcycle over thirty years ago, and I still have the scar tissue where there had been skin to show for it. I was an oozy mess for weeks, even months. And I had heavy highway bars sticking out the side of the cycle to keep it from completely laying down, saving me from the worst case scenario.

I think people who haven't seen it themselves can understand how bad it could be. The pain was ... indescribable. The only worse pain I've felt in my life is when I had an infected root canal that I had to wait over the weekend to be treated.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can second jazz's concern about wiping out @40mph. I was going about that speed when I laid down my motorcycle over thirty years ago, and I still have the scar tissue where there had been skin to show for it. I was an oozy mess for weeks, even months. And I had heavy highway bars sticking out the side of the cycle to keep it from completely laying down, saving me from the worst case scenario.

I think people who haven't seen it themselves can understand how bad it could be. The pain was ... indescribable. The only worse pain I've felt in my life is when I had an infected root canal that I had to wait over the weekend to be treated.

As a motorcyclist myself I agree, going down on pavement or gravel at any speed never mind 40 mph can be devastating. The small town I live in is overrun with clowns on scooters who don't have a clue how to ride on the street. This past summer I came across a young woman (girl) who had lost control of her scooter negotiating a curve in the city riding at city speeds, I called an ambulance for her. She was in agonizing pain and when that's gone she'll be scarred for life. Oh, she was wearing a bathing suit and sandals.

I think the world can deal with the risk that ebiker may ride 35-40mph on a street bike path to get to work a bit faster than some slow poke on a traditional bike on the side walk. I trust that 99.9% of bike riders will not be wreck-less when riding the faster assist ebikes just like most people that own sports cars are not wreckless when driving. C'mon ebike community stop being mamby pambies and thinking ebikes like the Juice Hyperfat are a threat to ruin the image of ebikes for everyone.

How about I work on that, while you stop assuming everyone wants to ride a BICYCLE that will operate at speeds twice what class 2 bikes are supposed to run?

Hot topic. I'll be bowing out now.......

I think they're great in the hands of responsible riders, same with scooters, mopeds, motorcycles........whatever. Prices will come down......a lot, used ebikes will be everywhere and in the hands of kids and teenagers and I know what I would have done if I were a teenager and had a 40 mph bike. When I retired from my real job, an engineer, I helped a friend who was opening a motorcycle store, one Saturday some parents brought in a kid and bought him a 100 hp crotch rocket for a graduation gift, he had no experience but had a learners permit which anyone can get, I advised the parents against it. The next day I saw on the news where the kid was killed in a bike accident. We have no age limit on the purchase of eBikes where I live.

Back