Juggernaut Ultra Duo

Wolfie39

Region
United Kingdom
Hi All
Very interested in the Ultra Duo. Is the ultra motor overkill and would i be better off with a hub drive? I am looking at a step through for my wife and a step over for myself. I have a few questions if any on here can answer them please. We plan on cycling around 30-40 miles round trips with pedal assist (we want to get fitter!). Would you suggest a second battery for both bikes? What's the real world difference in selecting 3 inch/4 inch tires? What's the recommendation? We will be mainly cycling off road, just canal tow paths cinder roads etc (nothing to technical!) I am 5'11 but only 29 inch inside leg would you recommend 17inch or 19 inch frame? I would like to add a suspension seat post and i know this adds some stand over height. If anyone has any other words of wisdom about the Ultra duo i would be very grateful if you would share. I am in the UK does anyone in the forum have any experience of importing bikes from Canada? Will there be duty or VAT to pay?
Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi All
Very interested in the Ultra Duo. Is the ultra motor overkill and would i be better off with a hub drive? I am looking at a step through for my wife and a step over for myself. I have a few questions if any on here can answer them please. We plan on cycling around 30-40 miles round trips with pedal assist (we want to get fitter!). Would you suggest a second battery for both bikes? What's the real world difference in selecting 3 inch/4 inch tires? What's the recommendation? We will be mainly cycling off road, just canal tow paths cinder roads etc (nothing to technical!) I am 5'11 but only 29 inch inside leg would you recommend 17inch or 19 inch frame? I would like to add a suspension seat post and i know this adds some stand over height. If anyone has any other words of wisdom about the Ultra duo i would be very grateful if you would share. I am in the UK does anyone in the forum have any experience of importing bikes from Canada? Will there be duty or VAT to pay?
Many thanks in advance
No Duties or taxes for UK shipment.
I think its better to go with the 17" frame for a 29" inseam. You can always raise the seat up.
Battery - you can never have too much range. I always recommend people to get the biggest you can afford.

Hi All
Many thanks in advance
I would say overkill depends on what you can afford, if you can afford the Ultra motor than no it is not overkill. The mid drive motor is great for climbing hills and technical riding. In the bike's lowest gear and enough assist the Ultra mid drive will climb a steep hill without breaking a sweat and in high gear will have good top end speed.

In more stop and go urban type riding the the mid drive can be a pain in the ass because you have to (should) downshift everytime you come to a stop where as the hub drive you can leave it in whatever gear you cruise at and use the motor to accelerate from a stop to get you up to speed.

I personally prefer a mid for climbing hills and top end speed

meh, ilove Ultras so im biased but you did not mention big hills so you should be happy either way! Hub motor is great for tollpath riding! my advice is to buy one Ultra and One hub for your wife and no question get dual batteries! once you get suspension seat post your going to want to ride longer and not having to worry about range is a game changer!

I have the HD Duo step over. It uses the BBSHD instead of the Ultra. Very similar power ratings. I also have a similar inseam. Definitely get the smaller frame. My batteries are 52v 17.5ah main battery and 52v 14.5ah secondary battery. I have yet to even come close to draining those two. I ride in PAS1 maybe 90% of the time and use the throttle liberally depending on the situation. After a 20 mile ride I still show a range of 100 miles and maybe read 87% battery remaining. I have the 4.8 inch tires. They are cool but very noisy. Great on trails but more susceptible to punctures because of the wide contact patch with the ground. I loved them up until about 20 minutes ago for completely unrelated reasons. I have a love/hate relationship with mid drives right now. Love the power. Hating the drivetrain. Sometimes I wish I had an equally powerful hub motor instead.

Back