Juggernaut Ultra Addons

F86AeM8.jpg

fqR5BiJ.jpg

B52Q3V2.jpg

I had my handlebar backwards in error and fixed it, but now that it is OK to do it, I might switch it backward again for better reach as suggested. I also moved the included rear light to the back of the rack so it is more visible when stuff is on the rack. Did you have to cut the grip for the mirror? Are you going to put on the front fender? Rear basket looks good! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I had my handlebar backwards in error and fixed it, but now that it is OK to do it, I might switch it backward again for better reach as suggested. I also moved the included rear light to the back of the rack so it is more visible when stuff is on the rack. Did you have to cut the grip for the mirror? Are you going to put on the front fender? Rear basket looks good! Thanks for sharing.

It gives it a motocross type handlebar position that I like. Just had to punch a small hole in the end of the grip and you can't tell at all, it was aftermarket. I had a problem with mounting the fender with the fitting on the bottom of the right shock tube. I think I'll just attach it with a self treading screw. Not the most elegant solution , but it will work.

Your baskets look great!

We ride in backcountry so we need something different. We got a set of Arkel Orca 45 panniers. They are waterproof and the pair will hold a total of 45 litres. The support hooks can be adjusted to fit the rear rack. We’ll see how well they hold up to rough treatment.

I really wanted to pull a BOB Ibex single-wheel trailer behind our Ultras but the Ultra has an extra-wide rear hub with 190 mm inside dimension – way too big for the largest BOB hitch hardware I can find. If anyone has a solution to fitting a BOB trailer to the Ultra, please let us know.

Attachments

• Arkel45.jpg
    Arkel45.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 638
  • Arkel45b.jpg
    Arkel45b.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 635
It gives it a motocross type handlebar position that I like. Just had to punch a small hole in the end of the grip and you can't tell at all, it was aftermarket. I had a problem with mounting the fender with the fitting on the bottom of the right shock tube. I think I'll just attach it with a self treading screw. Not the most elegant solution , but it will work.

I like the bags a lot. And the seat looks comfy. I couldn’t get the front fender installed correctly either and I like the look without it even better. I could get both brackets installed under the forks but the bracket that went under the non-allen bolt was flush up against the side of the tire. Instead of bending the bracket out (and probably mangling it in the process), I just removed it. I’m not taking her off road as of now so I’ll be OK without the front fender. However, I am looking for some sort of guard to put over the mid drive to keep debris from front tire off it.

[QUOTE="I could get both brackets installed under the forks but the bracket that went under the non-allen bolt was flush up against the side of the tire. Instead of bending the bracket out (and probably mangling it in the process), I just removed it.[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem. The wire stays were holding the fender crooked. I gave a couple tugs on those wires and presto - the fender is straight. The wires bend easy and once bent stay in place.

Here's a handy method of fender installation you guys might like:

Get yourself some "Snug-Fit Vibration-Damping Loop Clamps" from Mcmaster-Carr, they come in sizes from 1/4 to 4" diameter with stainless and either dense Neoprene, or Silicone rubber...

https://i.imgur.com/mh2SeEJ.jpg

Then, you use these to create your fender mounting points, they can be moved up and down the fork/frame, flipped around, what have you... allowing for complete flexibility of mounting:

https://i.imgur.com/M6GRXjP.jpg

As a huge bonus, they also dampen vibration, the main reason I use these is because I hate noisy fenders. Also where the fender wire/brackets make contact with the fender steel, install neoprene to further reduce vibration/noise. Fastener choices will also come into play.

Cheers!

Took the cruiser seat off and I'm going with a Thudbuster and a Bikeroo saddle. Also turned the stem around to the "correct " way and then went back to the way I had it. I'm a little over 6 feet but I like the bars in closer.

vnNkwux.jpg

FzmOqDT.jpg

Good posting! We just added a long-travel Thudbuster to one of our Ultras too. It seems to take the harshness out of the hardtail rear suspension. We used the 27.2 mm diameter Thudbuster but our Ultra has a 28.6 mm seat post so we had to shim the difference.

Good posting! We just added a long-travel Thudbuster to one of our Ultras too. It seems to take the harshness out of the hardtail rear suspension. We used the 27.2 mm diameter Thudbuster but our Ultra has a 28.6 mm seat post so we had to shim the difference.

Yeah, at provide shims for free with Thudbuster that we sell on our website.

Last edited:
Here are some photos of a simple rack I built to haul two Ultras in the bed of our 2013 Tacoma. The Ultra is 78-1/2 inches long and the truck bed is just over 73 inches so I have to take the front wheel off and mount the front fork on a fixed bracket. The only bracket I could find for the 130 mm front fork is a Kuat Phat bracket. I just received the bracket so the photos of the rack don’t show the bracket. The rack is 2x4 and 1x4 lumber. I’ll rig straps from the truck bed sides to the built-in rear bike rack to keep the bikes from swaying. If your pickup has a full 8 foot truck box, the Ultra would fit nicely without removing the front wheel. The truck bed is quite high off the ground with the tailgate down. It will take two people to lift each Ultra onto the tailgate to load so I may end up using a ramp and use walk-mode to “drive” the bike into the truck bed.

Attachments

• Kuat130.jpg
    Kuat130.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 1,096
  • QuickReleaseskewer.jpg
    QuickReleaseskewer.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 1,003
  • Rack.jpg
    Rack.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 1,078
  • TacomaFrontAxle.jpg
    TacomaFrontAxle.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 1,195
  • TacomaRack.jpg
    TacomaRack.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 1,066
Sometimes we need to haul our two Ultras behind our pop-top camper on very rough roads. The only rear bike rack I could find that could carry the weight of two Ultras is the Kuat NV Base 2 for 2-inch receiver mount. The capacity for the NV rack is two bikes of 60 pounds each but you can buy an extension for the same rack and haul 4 bikes at 40 pounds each which makes a total of 160 pounds. So I figure we’re good for two Ultras. We carry the two batteries in the truck. We have a cover that fits the two bikes but only use that if we are on dusty or muddy roads. You can see that I have to swing the handlebar 90 degrees on the first bike – that’s because the camper extends a bit past the end of the truck bed.

The stinger of the Kuat rack tightens inside of the receiver hitch by turning a large knob – works very well to keep to keep the rack from swaying.

Attachments

• UltraCamper1.jpg
    UltraCamper1.jpg
    540.8 KB · Views: 604
  • UltraCamper2.jpg
    UltraCamper2.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 637
It's great to see you out and really using the bikes. Mine sits in the garage with 65 miles on it. Hopefully, the rain will turn to snow in the near future. And then I might find a use for the throttle. ;)

Back