Jones H Bar on Turbo Vado: Relocating the Headlight

DCeB

Region
USA
I'd like to swap the stock bars on my 2020 turbo vado 4.0 for a set of Jones H bars but would want to relocate headlamp. Is there a mount that I can use to easily relocate the light from the stem to the front loop of the H bars? I'd like to use a bag that goes in the loop of the H bars and while that likely wouldn't interfere with the computer, it would absolutely block the headlight.

As a side question, has anyone swapped the standard light for a Supernova M99 Mini Pure or another unit? The standard headlight has proven to be pretty lackluster the last two winters and I usually end up tossing a second battery light on as a supplement for the darkest parts of my commute.

I'm a big fan of Jones H-Bars. I have one on my Haibike and another on my Yuba Spicy Curry AT. The headlight of my Spicy Curry was located on top of the stem, like yours, and I relocated it to the front of the breadbasket where Yuba had conveniently drilled a hole for that purpose, so it's probably not the same situation (or headlight).

What kind of headlight is it? Can you take a picture of its current mount? Perhaps I can come up with a suggestion with that information.

I'm a big fan of Jones H-Bars. I have one on my Haibike and another on my Yuba Spicy Curry AT. The headlight of my Spicy Curry was located on top of the stem, like yours, and I relocated it to the front of the breadbasket where Yuba had conveniently drilled a hole for that purpose, so it's probably not the same situation (or headlight).

What kind of headlight is it? Can you take a picture of its current mount? Perhaps I can come up with a suggestion with that information.
I though that I had posted a photo of this before but it turns out that I didn't. I'd need a hanging mount compatible with the tube size of the H bars which should be 22.2 to use the current light.

Attachments

• light2.jpg
    light2.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 290
I'd need a hanging mount compatible with the tube size of the H bars which should be 22.2 to use the current light.
The handlebars' diameter at the stem is 31.8 mm (the diameter near the stem is larger than it is at the grip area), Is the Vado light GoPro mount compatible? (It is for Vado SL).

I'd like to swap the stock bars on my 2020 turbo vado 4.0 for a set of Jones H bars but would want to relocate headlamp. Is there a mount that I can use to easily relocate the light from the stem to the front loop of the H bars? I'd like to use a bag that goes in the loop of the H bars and while that likely wouldn't interfere with the computer, it would absolutely block the headlight.

As a side question, has anyone swapped the standard light for a Supernova M99 Mini Pure or another unit? The standard headlight has proven to be pretty lackluster the last two winters and I usually end up tossing a second battery light on as a supplement for the darkest parts of my commute.
Did you ever make the switch to the Jones bar? If so, I’m curious if you had to install longer brake lever hoses?

Did you ever make the switch to the Jones bar? If so, I’m curious if you had to install longer brake lever hoses?
I actually ordered one earlier in the week. I'll update this thread once I've had a chance to mount it in the next few days.

I did end up finding a mounting solution for the light but I don't know if there is enough slack in the wire for the light to move it from the area of the stem to the front loop of the H bar plus slack to get around a bag. I don't want to yank on the wire too hard to see how much slack is in it but I imagine there probably isn't enough.

I actually ordered one earlier in the week. I'll update this thread once I've had a chance to mount it in the next few days.

I did end up finding a mounting solution for the light but I don't know if there is enough slack in the wire for the light to move it from the area of the stem to the front loop of the H bar plus slack to get around a bag. I don't want to yank on the wire too hard to see how much slack is in it but I imagine there probably isn't enough.
Thanks for the feedback. On my vado 5.0 IGH, it looks like the rear brake host may be just a little short. Eric at Jones said that in most cases the cables/hoses are too short when going from a flat bar to the H-Bar. Here's a photo showing the distance from the center of the inner Hbar to the brake lever mounting location - it's about 8" which is the same as on the flat bar. The problem is that since the lever is mounted on the swept back portion of the bar, the hose has to go forward and then loop back. Maybe it can go underneath the bar? I don't think I want to tackle replacing the hose with a longer one - and it would probably cost a few hundred $$ for the LBS to do it. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Attachments

• Jones HBar.JPG
    Jones HBar.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 217
I didn't end up needing to lengthen my brake cables. There was juuuust enough left. If I had to lengthen the stem at all, which I am considering, I'll need to replace the rear brake hose.

I didn't end up needing to lengthen my brake cables. There was juuuust enough left. If I had to lengthen the stem at all, which I am considering, I'll need to replace the rear brake hose.
I ordered and just received the Jones butted aluminum bar with 2.5" rise. The rear brake line will have to be replaced with a longer one. My LBS will do it.

Back