Izip E3 path plus trouble

I first posted on this thread on May 6th. It soon became a clear trend of multiple incidences of motor failure due to magnet adhesive defects. To Currie's credit, they have responded admirably and responsibily to their customers.

This last post, concerning a battery charge issue, causes me to raise a yellow flag of caution. I hope it is an operator error or a single incident. If this is a repeated incident, I would add a ** Not Recommended ** tag to the PAth review. Based upon the shear number of motor failures mentioned on this forum would cause me to look to another brand until the problems resolve themselves.

There are too many ebike mfgrs working hard to establish quality products, customer loyalty, and their best value pricing to allow the big box players a pass due to marketing, rave reviews, and/or lower cost.

IMO, Currie needs to show they are ready for the prime time ebike market, and not fall back into the reputation of the past. Time will tell.

idk.. twowheeler got stuck with a lemon, it appears.. My guess is that Currie will make it right with him.

The bigger problem, imo, is that he has no local dealer support. So every issue becomes a project with getting it repaired. With my two ebikes, one was an hour drive away.. no biggie.. And my second ebike was 20 minutes away...

Would never buy an ebike without local support. never.

idk.. twowheeler got stuck with a lemon, it appears.. My guess is that Currie will make it right with him.

The bigger problem, imo, is that he has no local dealer support. So every issue becomes a project with getting it repaired. With my two ebikes, one was an hour drive away.. no biggie.. And my second ebike was 20 minutes away...

Would never buy an ebike without local support. never.

I hope that this doesn't sound argumentative and I realize that this is simply your opinion...yet I did just that with (owner) Len @ Crazy Lenny's in Madison WI and would do the same with (owner) Chris @ Long Island Electric Bikes, a long time (solid) contributor here.
What I was blessed with was a local bike shop with a solid reputation who actually didn't offer their first ebike line until this year (one unit on display). What sealed the deal is that at least a few of the employees (I believe) actually wanted to ride the Dash/Peak 'just to test their work' afterwards. For at least one of them it was a 'yeah, I can do that..(why couldn't I)..that's no big deal'...(we're in the bike business).

YMMV...but I'd hate to see people miss out on the fun while appreciating your take on 'forever good service' at the same time. One other thing that you have to look at is the fact that you sometimes have support initially...and then get so ticked off/swear you'll never go back during one of the ebbs and flows at any company...yet you're still happy that you bought the machine (don't ask me how I know this). ;)

I hope that this doesn't sound argumentative and I realize that this is simply your opinion...yet I did just that with (owner) Len @ Crazy Lenny's in Madison WI and would do the same with (owner) Chris @ Long Island Electric Bikes, a long time (solid) contributor here.
What I was blessed with was a local bike shop with a solid reputation who actually didn't offer their first ebike line until this year (one unit on display). What sealed the deal is that at least a few of the employees (I believe) actually wanted to ride the Dash/Peak 'just to test their work' afterwards. For at least one of them it was a 'yeah, I can do that..(why couldn't I)..that's no big deal'...(we're in the bike business).

YMMV...but I'd hate to see people miss out on the fun while appreciating your take on 'forever good service' at the same time. One other thing that you have to look at is the fact that you sometimes have support initially...and then get so ticked off/swear you'll never go back during one of the ebbs and flows at any company...yet you're still happy that you bought the machine (don't ask me how I know this). ;)

I think we are agreeing on this.. Your local support wasn't actually the ebike retailer but another shop willing to get involved.. And its essence is what every LBS does.. They rarely sell the bikes they service.

Insofar as manufacturer support Currie is probably as solid as they come, even though some of their bikes may cause the owners agitare!

Last edited:
I think we are agreeing on this.. Your local support wasn't actually the ebike retailer but another shop willing to get involved.. And its essence is what every LBS does.. They rarely sell the bikes they service.

Insofar as manufacturer support Currie is probably as solid as they come, even though some of their bikes may cause the owners agitare!

Agreed.
I would offer also that Currie owners are luckier than most in that we not only have (limited) factory support at non-authorized dealers (they can at least call for simple short questions only) and that Currie even takes the time to take step-by-step photographs of the work needing to be done..which makes it pretty darn easy to do it yourself if you have the time/tools.

Currie shipped a new battery and charger to me via REI. I swapped both of them and everything works fine now. I don't know if the problem was with the battery or the charger, but at least the bike is up and running again. So kudos to Currie's customer support team for making it right. I'm hoping that I don't have to avail myself of their services again. ;)

I am the one who started this thread and here I am over two years later and at least my fourth motor has just failed. I have asked for my money to be returned at this bicycle is a total lemon. I only have 615 miles on this bicycle. I have to drive almost 100 miles every time this happens to me. My wife has to come pick me up every time this happens.
When the motor fails you cannot even peddle like a normal bicycle.
I am working on uploading a video of this bicycle and the grinding noise it makes.
I don't think I can trust the Izip brand.

I hope you get some satisfaction. Problems I have had have been resolved by my dealer. I hope the manufacturer is as honorable as my local bike shop.

Larry from the corporate office has contacted me and they are offering my money back or the 2016 model as a replacement.
The IZip folks have really tried. This was just a total lemon.
I really thought this last motor was the fix because it ran smoother and the battery actually lasted longer.
Their response makes me want to stay with them.

I may not get the 2016 model but I will get from Acella(?)

I just rode my 2014 Dash 3000 unhindered miles. Turned around and sold it and got the 2015 Dash. I stay nervous about possible warranty issues but so far so good.

Larry from the corporate office has contacted me and they are offering my money back or the 2016 model as a replacement.
The IZip folks have really tried. This was just a total lemon.
I really thought this last motor was the fix because it ran smoother and the battery actually lasted longer.
Their response makes me want to stay with them.

I may not get the 2016 model but I will get from Acella(?)

Give the 2016 Path a try, Shimano Steps is a nice drive system.

I returned my 2014 IZIP E3 Plus today. Along with an extra battery that I had purchased for the bicycle.
I decided on the Izip E3 Protour. My inseam is short so they are getting me the small frame.
Thanks to Martin's bike shop in Ephrata, PA.
Larry Pizzi and Chawn Weingarten back their products even through this difficulty they earn my loyalty.

image.jpeg

Am I a jinxed E-bike owner? 3 miles on new E3 Pro Tour and I got an error code.
No power.
I was able to ride home with this type of failure but definitely harder than a normal bike.
I know IZip will take care of it but this is frustrating.

Back