I've narrowed it down to Hydra or Crosstour, what do you guys think the main pros/cons or differences between these 2 are?

No not mine, I just love the configuration and color, if you want the highest top speed you need a 2300W version of the motor.
Pushkar tested them already he said they are scary fast, he didn't want to push them faster, he felt it might not be safe.
This Ebike isn't for 50mph it wouldn't be safe.
If you want something really fast and safe you need to move to an electric motorcycle like the Sondors Metacycle for $5K USD.

I am sure the Helios with a 2300W X1 set at the highest level on the display is going to be one of the fastest pedal Ebikes on the market.
Any faster won't be safe for the specs.
Why would the 2300W version impact top speed of the bike? It might make a difference on how quickly it gets to that speed, but the gearing is going to determine how fast it will go.

Why would the 2300W version impact top speed of the bike? It might make a difference on how quickly it gets to that speed, but the gearing is going to determine how fast it will go.
Would the default gearing of Sturmey Archer 3 speed be sufficient for the crosstour or should I get $1500 kindernay, if I want top speed of 35mph on throttle

Would the default gearing of Sturmey Archer 3 speed be sufficient for the crosstour or should I get $1500 kindernay, if I want top speed of 35mph on throttle
Did you know the throttle is restricted to 750W to save the life of components, you can have it unrestricted....but no warranty.
You will bust chains among other things.

I would email Puskar and ask him, "which configuration is best for throttling at 35mph?", my guess is he is going to recommend something with a gates belt.

You can limit the top speed using the assist controls on the bike, as shown here:

I have a Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra, and it is top speed limited to 50 kph (31 mph), and I can remove the limit as shown in the video to get a few more mph. The Biktrix tune allows the throttle to apply maximum 1500W, and it will allow the full 1500W from standstill up to top speed; it takes about 1000W to maintain top speed at 31 mph on a flat surface with throttle. I have trouble reaching this speed with just pedaling on max assist, usually topping out at 32 kph (20 mph).

I have applied the full 1500W from standstill in highest gear without breaking the chain, but I don't know how the Sturmey-Archer would fair. It will be interesting to learn if any failures happen on completely unrestricted bikes and various levels of restriction.

You can limit the top speed using the assist controls on the bike, as shown here:

I have a Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra, and it is top speed limited to 50 kph (31 mph), and I can remove the limit as shown in the video to get a few more mph. The Biktrix tune allows the throttle to apply maximum 1500W, and it will allow the full 1500W from standstill up to top speed; it takes about 1000W to maintain top speed at 31 mph on a flat surface with throttle. I have trouble reaching this speed with just pedaling on max assist, usually topping out at 32 kph (20 mph).

I have applied the full 1500W from standstill in highest gear without breaking the chain, but I don't know how the Sturmey-Archer would fair. It will be interesting to learn if any failures happen on completely unrestricted bikes and various levels of restriction.
The new Sondors Ebike broke a chain on it's first ride out, but it was user error, he gunned it from a dead stop going uphill in the wrong gear, "snap" good bye chain.
That motor is downgraded by Sondors to try to prevent that.
Gunning the throttle at more than 750W is problematic according to the testing Pushkar has done.

I don't understand why chain breaks aren't being reported more (at all?) in the Biktrix subforum. Biktrix bikes don't have internal geared hubs, so it's easy to be stuck in a high gear when coming to a sudden stop. I wonder if there is a tuning that allows over 1000W on throttle but limits how much you can have below a certain speed; I wonder if Biktrix has this tuning because the bike doesn't wheelie when applying full throttle at lowest gear like some other bikes do.

I don't understand why chain breaks aren't being reported more (at all?) in the Biktrix subforum. Biktrix bikes don't have internal geared hubs, so it's easy to be stuck in a high gear when coming to a sudden stop. I wonder if there is a tuning that allows over 1000W on throttle but limits how much you can have below a certain speed; I wonder if Biktrix has this tuning because the bike doesn't wheelie when applying full throttle at lowest gear like some other bikes do.
From what I understand Biktrix does have specialized tuning on the Ultra motor, the owner doesn't publish this on his website, but he has stated it here on EBR
But they do break chains from the Biktrix forum....

"If u have even a half decent LBS I wouldn't worry
biktrix has a very fast and quick response time to issues I waited 3 days for my replacement hanger and it wasn't even listed on the website so I had to go through email support (the long route)

I broke my chain just after getting my bike and they covered the replacement cost just asked for a copy of the bill"

Last edited:
Did you know the throttle is restricted to 750W to save the life of components, you can have it unrestricted....but no warranty.
You will bust chains among other things.

I would email Puskar and ask him, "which configuration is best for throttling at 35mph?", my guess is he is going to recommend something with a gates belt.
he recommended the $1500 kindernay carbon belt. lol. I'll probably get that.

I have 600 miles on my Frey CC and still,on my first chain. On some steeper winding trails I have to use the throttle to keep my balance. The power delivery of the PAS is difficult because if you stop or tap the breaks it takes at least 1/8 turn to start again on the 70lb. bike and then it ramps up to fast and spins the wheel. Using the throttle I can use my legs to maintain balance but the throttle is very touchy and I try very hard to not pin it even in 1st gear. This is a steep section of the Bella Vista trail in Montecito that can be very challenging.

Attachments

• F97647FB-EFCC-4400-B8D6-FFAED1B95046.jpeg
    F97647FB-EFCC-4400-B8D6-FFAED1B95046.jpeg
    671.7 KB · Views: 171
I have 600 miles on my Frey CC and still,on my first chain. On some steeper winding trails I have to use the throttle to keep my balance. The power delivery of the PAS is difficult because if you stop or tap the breaks it takes at least 1/8 turn to start again on the 70lb. bike and then it ramps up to fast and spins the wheel. Using the throttle I can use my legs to maintain balance but the throttle is very touchy and I try very hard to not pin it even in 1st gear. This is a steep section of the Bella Vista trail in Montecito that can be very challenging.
You're a better man than I Gunga Din. :oops:

he recommended the $1500 kindernay carbon belt. lol. I'll probably get that.
So you have 3 choices.
1) Ti frame
2)The Helios
3Or wait for the Hydra that will eventfully come out with a Gates....but I don't know the timeline for that maybe 2022.

The only thing that stops me from wishing I had a Cross Tour with 3 in tires is the exposed battery. Though I resist out of stupid pride I know the riding position with the CT would be far better for me. 😶

The only thing that stops me from wishing I had a Cross Tour with 3 in tires is the exposed battery. Though I resist out of stupid pride I know the riding position with the CT would be far better for me. 😶
Actually Reed, I agree with you regarding the riding position and after talking with several people with more knowledge about my intended use they've said to head down the Kindernay path with belt drive now if possible. That said, I've changed my order to the Crosstour. In speaking with Pushkar earlier today he mentioned they are coming out with a triangular battery with 30 AH shortly, that case might look better than the Jumbo Shark lump.

Actually Reed, I agree with you regarding the riding position and after talking with several people with more knowledge about my intended use they've said to head down the Kindernay path with belt drive now if possible. That said, I've changed my order to the Crosstour. In speaking with Pushkar earlier today he mentioned they are coming out with a triangular battery with 30 AH shortly, that case might look better than the Jumbo Shark lump.
Holly Moly. I've thought of little else since your post. :oops: A Cross Tour with a triangle battery! Oh lord, be still my beating heart. I am in trouble. :eek:

Back