I've narrowed it down to Hydra or Crosstour, what do you guys think the main pros/cons or differences between these 2 are?

It really depends on your use case. One is a mountain bike, while the other is a touring bike. Additionally, do you have a preference for one frame material over another? What about in-frame vs external battery? Not really pros/cons as much as preferences.

It really depends on your use case. One is a mountain bike, while the other is a touring bike. Additionally, do you have a preference for one frame material over another? What about in-frame vs external battery? Not really pros/cons as much as preferences.
I have no preference for frame material. Or battery style as long as it's accessible easily and replaceable. I just want a solid bike. I will be using it to climb up hikes where people walk. Mostly I'll be in the city; I want to get 30mph+. What would be good for me? I notice the Hydra is $500 cheaper.

I don't own either bike, but these are my impressions:

Hydra: Narrow tire = tighter maneuvering, less float on sand/snow/mud
Crosstour: Fat tire = more float on sand/snow/mud; tire suspension does not need adjustment

Hydra: Full suspension = keeps wheel on the ground for better control/speed on rock gardens but needs adjustment and limits capability of bike to carry load (single battery capacity also limits range)
Crosstour: Hard tail = you can use the rear rack to carry a heavy load (dual battery capacity also increases range)

Hydra: Carbon frame = custom design to maximize efficiency of geometry but more prone to wear
Crosstour: Titanium frame = maximum durability but less efficient geometry

Hydra: You wait for bike.
Crosstour: You get bike now.

Conclusion
Get the Hydra if you want to use a bike for light-load, shorter trips on obstacle course terrain with sharp turns. The Hydra is a niche bike to maximize the enjoyment of play within its niche.
Get the Crosstour if you want to use a bike for heavy-load transport, longer trips, or floating on softer surfaces. The Crosstour is a work horse that can also play, grudgingly.

What do you mean by "hikes where people walk"? Are you talking about on-road, in-city riding? If so, neither the Hydra or the Crosstour is the most appropriate vehicle for that use case. I would say the Helios model makes more sense for you.

I just love the fat tire style. I like a multipurpose bike. I do something like this once every month:

Griffith Park Trails,​

San Vicente Mountain Park etc.​

I went with the Crosstour because I wanted a titanium frame and a belt drive. Neither are available (yet) on the Hydra. Fingers crossed that it ships soon!!

The two choices offer different riding positions. The Crosstour allows for a more upright position than the Hydra. As I've aged ( 71 now) I find myself less and less willing to lean very far forward or have a lot of pressure on my hands. Something to think about.

I think you want this....

177727864_287626042943732_5090352276496749869_n.jpg

No not mine, I just love the configuration and color, if you want the highest top speed you need a 2300W version of the motor.
Pushkar tested them already he said they are scary fast, he didn't want to push them faster, he felt it might not be safe.
This Ebike isn't for 50mph it wouldn't be safe.
If you want something really fast and safe you need to move to an electric motorcycle like the Sondors Metacycle for $5K USD.

I am sure the Helios with a 2300W X1 set at the highest level on the display is going to be one of the fastest pedal Ebikes on the market.
Any faster won't be safe for the specs.

Last edited:
No not mine, I just love the configuration and color, if you want the highest top speed you need a 2300W version of the motor.
Pushkar tested them already he said they are scary fast, he didn't want to push them faster, he felt it might not be safe.
This Ebike isn't for 50mph it wouldn't be safe.
If you want something really fast and safe you need to move to an electric motorcycle like the Sondors Metacycle for $5K USD.

I am sure the Helios at with 2300W X1 set at the highest level on the display is going to be one of the fastest pedal Ebikes on the market.
Any faster won't be safe for the specs.
Yeah, I don't want fast, I just want 35mph max. Do you think the default gearing on the crosstour is enough?

Back