I've decided on a Turbo Vado -- now how do I get one?

RolandSchitt

After about a year of debating on my bike upgrade I've decided on the Turbo Vado 3.0.

The only question now is, how do I actually get one? They've been out of stock online for months. I live in Austin TX and the Specialized website only lists one dealer in the whole city -- a motorcycle shop that is very far away from me. The inventory finder shows no inventory for them and the closest available bike is about 3 hours away from me. But one of the reasons I would go with Specialized is to get it from a LBS. Should I rethink which brand I'm buying if LBS service is important to me?

I've only bought one bike before, and it was a budget ebike from an online company, so this is all new to me and I'm a little lost.

We have a pretty large chain of bike shops locally that was just bought out by Trek. I'm wondering if that's why we have no Specialized dealers now.

I'm looking at this bike from a local shop if I can't find the Specialized. Specs are pretty similar, although I'm not sure the components are as high quality.

I actually purchased my Vado SL 5 from that bike shop in Austin the weekend they were closing. Suggest calling the closest shop to you and ask when they can get one for you.

Roland, you would not like a no-name mid motor e-bike if you researched for the Vado. A brief glance on the Spesh site tells me if you could afford Vado 4.0, the size M model is available in Southlake TX. That must be far away from you. Yet in case you bring the e-bike to Austin, the Specialized LBS there should take responsibility for warranty claims and servicing nearby. At least that's the policy of Specialized.

We have a pretty large chain of bike shops locally that was just bought out by Trek. I'm wondering if that's why we have no Specialized dealers now.

I'm looking at this bike from a local shop if I can't find the Specialized. Specs are pretty similar, although I'm not sure the components are as high quality.
If you are open to traveling you might find one. It's hard to say . I found mine last Sept from an LBS 40 miles from me. One that Specialize didn't even show on the main Site . At the Time they had 20 plus Vado and Como Models . As well As 4 Vado 4 and 5 SL. Also a Friend of mine ordered a Trek Alliant late October . 2021 Model 2 weeks to get . Yet the website shows not available. You can't rely on Internet accuracy . The TREK ALLIANT is every bit as nice as My Vado . I would go that route before buying what you have posted IMO

Roland, you would not like a no-name mid motor e-bike if you researched for the Vado. A brief glance on the Spesh site tells me if you could afford Vado 4.0, the size M model is available in Southlake TX. That must be far away from you. Yet in case you bring the e-bike to Austin, the Specialized LBS there should take responsibility for warranty claims and servicing nearby. At least that's the policy of Specialized.
I live in San Antonio and went to Austin for my purchase.

Thanks. The local dealer listed here just sells motorcycles and a few ebikes, so I'm not sure how helpful they would be with servicing a bike. I'd almost feel better with an internet bike and taking it to the ebike shop down the street from me for repairs at that point.

@jimk was that at Bicycle Sport Shop? I was definitely planning to go there before Trek bought them out.

@BarryS funny you should mention that, I was on the Trek website just before coming back to this thread. The Alliant looks really nice, although it's $800 more expensive, plus $200 more expensive for the spare battery. Turns a $4,000 purchase into a $5,100 purchase 😬

Last edited:
I found a out-of-state Spec dealer willing to ship me one of the last year’s models. He told me Spec doesn’t allow shipping (at least from current models) to protect local dealers. Shrug.
So I got the bike I wanted and the local shop services it without hard feelings since they couldn’t get it for me.

My question would be “what’s the runner up?” and can you find/buy one sooner? A bird in the hand...

My question would be “what’s the runner up?” and can you find/buy one sooner? A bird in the hand...
Hmm... when you put it like that, buying a Specialized bike wherever I can find it starts to sound pretty appealing.

I like the Ride1Up with a mid-drive that's coming out in August or later. It uses a Brose motor which I believe is what Specialized uses? Similar specs, might not be quite as nice, but it would save me $1,000 after the bike + extra battery. But that's a long wait.

Otherwise I'm looking at the Trek Alliant, but I like the look of the Specialized more and it would run me about $1,000 less altogether.

The motor is not everything, Roland. Brose apply the concept the e-bike manufacturer is responsible for providing the whole infrastructure to work with the motor themselves. Specialized have used several years to master the technology. Even Specialized motors are not just off-the-shelf Brose ones. I'd say the TCD-W display and smartphone connectivity (Mission Control or BLEvo) is -- I say that -- the best in the market.

Hmm... when you put it like that, buying a Specialized bike wherever I can find it starts to sound pretty appealing.

I like the Ride1Up with a mid-drive that's coming out in August or later. It uses a Brose motor which I believe is what Specialized uses? Similar specs, might not be quite as nice, but it would save me $1,000 after the bike + extra battery. But that's a long wait.

Otherwise I'm looking at the Trek Alliant, but I like the look of the Specialized more and it would run me about $1,000 less altogether.
Well, part my reasoning is that life is just too damn short to waste too much time being perfect. Given that it may take you months to get any ebike, I say pull the trigger ASAP.
As an Allant+7 owner I can tell you I love mine with over 1000 miles on it since last May. So much so that we got a Lowstep version for my wife.😎👍
AB31D742-C4B7-4751-A8EA-CF9430813898.jpeg
F2DCE6FB-F205-47DC-BAED-1D36215B3306.jpeg

After about a year of debating on my bike upgrade I've decided on the Turbo Vado 3.0.

The only question now is, how do I actually get one? They've been out of stock online for months. I live in Austin TX and the Specialized website only lists one dealer in the whole city -- a motorcycle shop that is very far away from me. The inventory finder shows no inventory for them and the closest available bike is about 3 hours away from me. But one of the reasons I would go with Specialized is to get it from a LBS. Should I rethink which brand I'm buying if LBS service is important to me?

I've only bought one bike before, and it was a budget ebike from an online company, so this is all new to me and I'm a little lost.

Yep, backorder is the new "in stock" for 2021. We've got the Gazelle Ultimate T10+ in stock which is fairly comparable to the Vado. I still have my Vado 5.0 and the T10+ is what I'd get to replace it.

Check it out:

There's also another class 3 bike in the works for Gazelle, but I can't give too many details other than it's a really cool bike with a belt drive!

I wouldn't recommend getting a Brose powered bike outside of Specialized. They're still figuring out their support network whereas Specialized supports the dealer and deals with Brose on their end, meaning faster warranty processing for the dealer and end consumer.

Back