I've been looking at electric bikes since January and I really like the new NTS Works Fat Free bike.

lessworkmorefun

As a neewbie here I'm interested in what everyone else thinks of the NTS Fat Free electric bike and battery design. Wondering if EBR has a plan to check out the bike in the near future. www.ntsworks.com

nts-fat-free-electric-bike.jpg

As a neewbie here I'm interested in what everyone else thinks of the bike and battery design. Wondering if EBR has a plan to check out the bike in the near future. www.ntsworks.com

The designer of this bike, Neal Saiki was the driving force behind Zero S motorcycles and Santa Cruz mountain bikes.

The fat free, their new model has excellent battery and specifications. Comes at a price point off $2600. Great urban and light trail bike.

I don't believe it is an automatic, you will shift , it is an IGH no outside gears or derailleur. I like the rebuildable battery idea quite a bit (note I own Stormers which is completely proprietary and scary down the road possibly) but theirs lacks the stealth factor. There is a 48volt version of the motor available as a kit. I am concerned at 48 LBS it is not 25LBS lighter than most ebikes as they advertise ??? also don't see a non step through frames which I prefer for rigidity characteristics. All that said this bike appears to be very consumer friendly and I like it :)

I watched the video , no sound at work, are they hydraulic brakes and why didn't they hide a few more wires/cables in the frame?

Last edited:
Yeah, that 25 lbs lighter thing seems hyperbolic. They also mention other bikes cost eight grand. Is that the market they are really competing with? Both statements really turn me off from believing anything else they tout.

Agreed that was my point, don't take a good product and then over hype , makes me worry about service and attitude. BTW to answer your question they way i ride no, i even walk down and up small curbs most of the time. I would think it is possible but in real world unless you are on the trails not as much as it looks , just a guess though

Mark

Could use some details on PAS/Throttle, cruise control. Other companies are using belts rather than a chain, they are more expensive , cost saving? (Grace). The way drives/rides is the real answer I guess but of course they are on the wrong coast for a test ride :)

Good looking bike... weird they went with the wild claims though. Kind of a turn off

Great points all around... I've been excited about the NTS guys for the reasons Ravi pointed out (Neal's experience in the industry producing other great products) and their work on the solar powered cargo bikes and lifetime rebuild battery recycling warranty program.

nts-sun-cycle-solar-ebike.jpg

The hype is a putoff and they've been tough to reach as well. I've emailed and called a week or so back (connected with Neal's wife) who explained that I could test the bike someday but Neal would not be able to meet with me to do an interview because he's always busy... I just wanted to build a rapport before showing up but her response sort of put me off.

The Fat Free looks like a decent bike and clearly these guys are working hard to create high quality products. In some ways it seems generic to me with so many other models available from big companies that have demos available in bike shops. The cargo bike is appealing because this category is niche and there aren't many to choose from but the Fat Free seems kind of generic to me.

Great points all around... I've been excited about the NTS guys for the reasons Ravi pointed out (Neal's experience in the industry producing other great products) and their work on the solar powered cargo bikes and lifetime rebuild battery recycling warranty program.

View attachment 1132

The hype is a putoff and they've been tough to reach as well. I've emailed and called a week or so back (connected with Neal's wife) who explained that I could test the bike someday but Neal would not be able to meet with me to do an interview because he's always busy... I just wanted to build a rapport before showing up but her response sort of put me off.

The Fat Free looks like a decent bike and clearly these guys are working hard to create high quality products. In some ways it seems generic to me with so many other models available from big companies that have demos available in bike shops. The cargo bike is appealing because this category is niche and there aren't many to choose from but the Fat Free seems kind of generic to me.

Can't meet to do an interview? Always busy is he? Sounds like a sublime warning to me.... wouldn't want to invest in or buy a product from that company. Then again, perhaps you need to knock on his office door.

Yeah, that 25 lbs lighter thing seems hyperbolic. They also mention other bikes cost eight grand. Is that the market they are really competing with? Both statements really turn me off from believing anything else they tout.
Compared to a Stealth Fighter at $8k and 75lb, they have a point. :)

Forgiven, this is a solid bike and a great value at $2600, for a sub 20mph, all town bike.

Solid battery and warranty.
48V upgrade.
Popular and new 8fun BBS01 mid drive for hills.
Nuvinci upgrade and ease.
Good disk brakes..hydraulic?
Nice trim.

I think the BBS02 has controller software issues that have been significantly improved by HPC. I listed the issues in 8Fun forum .

My approach is to find the best bicycle for my needs. I am leaning towards the Felt Compulsion 10. Do everything I can to make the conventional bike work optimally. Then, add an HPC BBS02 or BBS03!

I demo'd the carbon fiber 29er version of that Felt Compulsion; maybe it was called f4... That was possibly one of the finest bikes I've ever ridden of any kind. The freakin bike weighed less than 25 lbs. Found out from lectric cycles that a mid drive might not work on a CF bike due to the overlays.. yours should have no problem.

Just ride the bike before you buy.. it should be excellent.

I demo'd the carbon fiber 29er version of that Felt Compulsion; maybe it was called f4... That was possibly one of the finest bikes I've ever ridden of any kind. The freakin bike weighed less than 25 lbs. Found out from lectric cycles that a mid drive might not work on a CF bike due to the overlays.. yours should have no problem.

Just ride the bike before you buy.. it should be excellent.

I am relieved to hear your experience. I have been doing it the hard way -- going thru all the damn specs.

This will crack you up! Take one look at the DUALe and Compulsion 10 pictures in the side-by-side comparison. It took me all of 10 seconds to completely dismiss the DUALe. I could not visualize the differences all that well from the specs. I had a Luke-warm feeling about the DUALe.

Back