It’s 2025 what does your ebike look like?

Cyklefanatic

Enough everyone about regulations, licensing and top speed. Please limit comments to hardware and design.
Thanks everyone for the comments. It looks like three types of ebikes are in order for 2025.
Type one, low cost for casual occasional riders.
Type two, light weight simpler ebikes for easy car loading and general simplicity.
Lastly an all out technology showcase with a high top speed and some type of licensing.
My original post below,
Let’s imagine what the future holds for a street/ commuter ebike.
By 2025 I see ebikes becoming more like small quiet practical motorbikes.
120 mile range 6 pound batteries, 10 year life at 90% capacity.
Derailleurs disappear and gearbox’s are built into the mid motor. More reliable and much less maintenance. 5 speeds 500% range that uses the motor power after shifts to maintain a desired cadence. Auto shifting with manual override.
All bikes have regen and rear brakes disappear. Applying the rear brake lever turns up the regen. This also makes flat repair easier and reduces unsprung weight.
The dashboard is all in your cellphone that’s mounted on the bars, the bike charges the phone. The phone connects to a rear view camera instead of using mirrors.
EBikes get heavier because they can. They include lights, brake lights, A built in trunk bag/panniers, steering locks or cafe locks, good fenders, electric locks controlled by your phone. The battery key controls all the security locks.
Due to higher speeds full suspension , 3 inches in front, 2 in the rear. 26” front wheel, 24” rear wheels, 2.25” wide. Longer wheelbase mostly added between the pedals and rear axle for stability. Ride improves due to suspension and that offsets the smaller wheels.
Single arm rear swing arm. The rear Wheel unbolts like a car 3 or 4 bolts attached to a hub. Chains are gone either Shaft drive or gates belt. The shaft drive stays in place when the wheel is removed.
Regulations are changed to allow a pedelec 30 mph top speed. Riders are licensed but the bikes are not. Licensing is mainly common sense safety training. Rather than a hard speed limit the motor will decrease assist slowly the faster you go. This would make it feel more natural.
What did I miss?

Last edited:
Wheel size will shrink, and the above will have evolved into electric scooters for the roads, a new category of vehicle to be licensed and insured, able to carry a passenger or loaves of freshly baked french bread.

Old coots will still be seen, pedaling their steel Trek 830's, now over 30 years old, with electric assist.

Wheel size will shrink, and the above will have evolved into electric scooters for the roads, a new category of vehicle to be licensed and insured, able to carry a passenger or loaves of freshly baked french bread.

Old coots will still be seen, pedaling their steel Trek 830's, now over 30 years old, with electric assist.
Hey I’m that old coot!

Not good.

and signal lights.
If regen is good enough for a Tesla it’s good enough for a bike. A Tesla can almost come to a full stop without using front or rear mechanical brakes. On a bike most of the braking is done by the front brake the rear helps out on slippery surfaces but is probably only adds 20% to stopping power.

Last edited:
More suggestions:

Automatics GPS capability that will allow rider to plan a route into the bike device without a computer interface, and give turn by turn instructions, PLUS current weather and radar so rider isn't stuck in unsuspected storms, PLUS internet access PLUS bluetooth phone access with a full display without rider having to pull the phone out of my pocket, or wear a bluetooth.

Anti-flat tires. Aside from a deep gash, the tires will be self healing for small punctures and debris inclusions.

Voice activated on/off.

Voice activated gearing changes. Saying "Bike: second gear" will automatically shift the bike into second gear. Saying any variation of gears will also immediately do the requested gear changes. Also verbal activated assist level changes.

Agree with no more chains. All should have the Carbon belt drive, internal geared hub, and suspension.

Solid state battery with 150-200 mile range per charge.

Voice activated anti-theft. It will brick the wheels and run an electrical current through the bike to keep other's hands off (as well as providing a vicious jolt), PLUS a VERY LOUD alarm.

Hand warmer grips.

I'm sure I can think of some more while I'm out riding (heading out the door right now)

More:

Assist up to 23mph with a thumb throttle "booster" to achieve a 2 minute 28mph assist. 30 on the flat, IMO, is a bit too fast for a fragile machine like a bike.

GPS tracking location of bike.

Last edited:
Mine will have:

Automatics GPS capability that will allow me to plan a route into the bike device without a computer interface, and give me turn by turn instructions, PLUS current weather and radar so I'm not stuck in unsuspected storms, PLUS internet access PLUS bluetooth phone access with a full display without me having to pull the phone out of my pocket, or wear a bluetooth.

Anti-flat tires. Aside from a deep gash, the tires will be self healing for small punctures and debris inclusions.

Voice activated on/off.

Voice activated gearing changes. Saying "Bike: second gear" will automatically shift the bike into second gear. Saying any variation of gears will also immediately do the requested gear changes. Also verbal assistance changes.

Carbon belt. (Already ride one, but any future bikes this will continue to be a must)

Internal gear hub. (Again, already have, and now require on all future purchases)

Solid state battery with 150-200 mile range per charge.

A suspension seat post. Again, already have one (Kenekt) but all future bikes should come with them standard.

Voice activated anti-theft. It will brick the wheels and run an electrical current through the bike to keep other's hands off (as well as providing a vicious jolt), PLUS a VERY LOUD alarm.

Hand warmer grips.

I'm sure I can think of some more while I'm out riding (heading out the door right now)
I can’t imagine the mess of a group of riders using voice commands switching each other’s gears.

Will we (USA/Midwest) still have mostly crappy roads and minimal inadequate bike infrastructure?

Where we’re going we don’t need roads...

Re: future predictions
By 2025 all 50 states + DC have adopted the 3-Class model ebike legislation, BPSA/PfB joins League of American Bicyclists in new legislative push for all states to repel contributory negligence and adopt a fairer comparative negligence standard and oblige police to review onboard camera/telemetry evidence in ebike or bicycle/Auto crashes.
All major brands offer an ABS option, some offer steering assist on City ebikes aimed at older riders.
Augmented reality HUD display gps directions on the inside of helmet visors

Last edited:
Back