Issue or User Error

D

Deleted member 803

My ST2 arrived yesterday. Went through a comprehensive setup and everything is ok except for one issue. The battery charges off the bike just fine but I left the charger connected to the bike port for over 4 hours and the two lights on the charger were red and blinking green. Does it take longer to charge on the bike then directly to the battery. Anybody have any on-bike charging issues. The manual indicates that on-bike charging shows a red light and off bike charging shows an orange light. Off bike charge to full and both lights turned steady green and battery indicates 100%. Does onbike charging require a specific battery drain in order to work properly?

Otherwise all is working very well.

1st congrats on your St2 ! I have read others have had problems with on bike battery charging. I have been charging my St2 battery off the bike for at least 15 times with no issues. One thing to keep an eye on is the plug that goes in the charger , it will try to work its way out. Just always check it and make sure its pushed in all the way . A little hassle to charge this way but I'm use to it now.

The battery charges off the bike just fine but I left the charger connected to the bike port for over 4 hours and the two lights on the charger were red and blinking green.

I only did "off-bike" charging. But from colleagues I know, "on-bike" can cause some issues. Charging speed is the same, but the behavior depends on the status: ST2 "on" or "off" or "locked". At the time, I don't remember, which is the good choice...

I primarily use on-bike charging, with the bike turned off. The one time I tried to power-on the bike during the charge I had some type unusual behavior. It's been a while since that happened, so I can't remember the details.

I follow a similar process with my ST2 to what Rick describes. Bike = OFF > Plug into on-bike first > Plug into wall second. I too have notice some very sporadic bugginess but can't say what it is with any consistency. The charger comes on in a orange and green combo of lights which appears to be a bulk charge mode. Soon after I hear the charger fan kick in and after a several hours it appears to kick over to float stage of charging and I get the 1 green flashing and one solid green. When all done I get two solid greens.

I recently have been experimenting with once it's in the bulk charging stage, I switch on the bike and put it in the lock mode. So far this method has been working well too.

I attribute the sorpractic quirks to some form of charger and bike controller firmware misinteraction that falls under the category of unfinished QA testing and hopefully something to tweaked in future updates.

My ST2 arrived yesterday. Went through a comprehensive setup and everything is ok except for one issue. The battery charges off the bike just fine but I left the charger connected to the bike port for over 4 hours and the two lights on the charger were red and blinking green. Does it take longer to charge on the bike then directly to the battery. Anybody have any on-bike charging issues. The manual indicates that on-bike charging shows a red light and off bike charging shows an orange light. Off bike charge to full and both lights turned steady green and battery indicates 100%. Does onbike charging require a specific battery drain in order to work properly?

Otherwise all is working very well.
Bike off or On or Locked, Charger Plug into wall 110V, Connect to bike. Power on to charger first then hook to Bike!
Bay area bike rider could come over the hill for group ride. (live east bay)

I've only ever charged mine on the bike and had a couple instances of taking off on a ride after it being plugged in all night and the battery showing almost empty. Cut ride short and then later turned it back on and battery showing fully charged. Was weird but hasn't happened since, but interesting to see that others have some issues with it.

Just an update on the charging port. The dealer has seen this problem before and it turned out to be a defective charging port. They have one on order and will replace. They have done this before and it take a few hours to accomplish. Off bike charging works well but the damn key gets stuck sometimes and I have to apply a little force to turn it and remove. I will have dealer check this as well. Will keep you posted.

My key did the same thing on my ST2 86. I carefully sprayed some Try-Flo with straw attached inside battery compartment up towards lock area. Also when you turn the key to remove your battery, just barely turn it to the right. Only enough until it releases latch. No more. This solved my key jamming. Hope this helps. Thanks for all your great postings.Also I remember I reached up inside when battery is out and you can carefully pull on that white plastic piece , and this helps to release the key so you can turn it for removal.

Last edited:
Back