Is this hubless Reevo e-bike real or a scam? Your thoughts on this?

Steve L

Region
USA
I just recently find out about this hubless e-bike, it's from a company called Reevo Bikes. Their website. They currently taking pre-orders through IndieGoGo. Is this a real deal or some kind of scam? Your thoughts on this?
reevo2.jpg

I just recently find out about this hubless e-bike, it's from a company called Reevo Bikes. Their website. They currently taking pre-orders through IndieGoGo. Is this a real deal or some kind of scam? Your thoughts on this?
View attachment 88177
I looked at this bike many times in Indiegogo and through other advertising venues. It looks like a nice piece they show them writing it down staircases,
You just have to do your due diligence, research the company.
On a bike like that , your main concerns should be how to service it and who will service it because it doesn't look like all parts are mainstream as most ebikes have standard mainstream components that can be locally serviced.
But if you like the bike , do the research. Indiegogo is legitimate, you just have to make sure that the company is is well.
Good luck my friend and enjoy

I was pretty positive about indiegogo projects, but also had my doubts about this bike: probably mainly because I don't know the physics of it but also after reading into the IndieGoGo's risks. Since my bike (LaPierre eden park) wants a brother I was again looking into this bike.
After some searching on youtube came across Alexander Johr with exactly this question who did a thorough investigation (video id Ej9-2CZ0WZc), so I decided to not back this project.

Some very nice tech mentioned in the on-line ad Fingerprint lock, hubless design. I will keep an eye out but not quite convinced.

Some very nice tech mentioned in the on-line ad Fingerprint lock, hubless design. I will keep an eye out but not quite convinced.
Yeah,
made me very cautious as well.
Fingerprint on a lock.. hope they have a solution for when riders are wearing gloves ;)
[it's not new tech, even as loose lock possible, but pretty content with a key :) ]

I saw someone trying to sell their stake in this bike for more then it was going for. can you imagine buying someones stake in his when it may never actually happen?

Will it work? Probably. Will it be better than existing bikes? Probably not. Consider this for a start: conventional wheels are built the way they are, with spokes or a central disk (like older steel car wheels) because that's the lightest way to keep the wheel round. Essentially, all spokes on a bike wheel work together to suspend the axle within the wheel. This design depends on having a stiff rim connected to one location. That stiff rim needs to be massive to handle the forces on it. In the part that attaches the wheels to the frame, there's got to be bearings, and they'll get gummed up with road dirt. That means even more power to drive it.
So yea, it will work, but how well?

I looked at this bike many times in Indiegogo and through other advertising venues. It looks like a nice piece they show them writing it down staircases,
You just have to do your due diligence, research the company.
On a bike like that , your main concerns should be how to service it and who will service it because it doesn't look like all parts are mainstream as most ebikes have standard mainstream components that can be locally serviced.
But if you like the bike , do the research. Indiegogo is legitimate, you just have to make sure that the company is is well.
Good luck my friend and enjoy

I have to qualify your statement on Indiegogo being legit. In their boilerplate, Indiegogo is not responsible for “companies” who use their site and scam you. Quite a few of us kicked in to a campaign called “Coolest Clock” in 2015. It turned out to be an exercise in being jerked around with BS updates on a long time in between periodic basis. It was a total scam. On the Indiegogo forum, the attorneys who had kicked in were planning on suing the Coolest Clock Crooks. Not sure what happened after that. I’m out $150.

I’ve been trying to find out more about this bike beyond the fluff promo videos that REEVO has done. Essentially I want to trial one, not layout cash to buy one, ride untaken. There are NO refunds according to answers on that question on their website. I do not have access to the discussion on REEVO on Indiegogo because I have not contributed to the REEVO campaign. Just because it has a revolutionary design (form) does not mean it will excel in performance (function). Being an engineer, I tend to be a form follows function guy unless form does not in anyway compromise function.

I’ve been trying to find out more about this bike beyond the fluff promo videos that REEVO has done. Essentially I want to trial one, not layout cash to buy one, ride untaken. There are NO refunds according to answers on that question on their website. I do not have access to the discussion on REEVO on Indiegogo because I have not contributed to the REEVO campaign. Just because it has a revolutionary design (form) does not mean it will excel in performance (function). Being an engineer, I tend to be a form follows function guy unless form does not in anyway compromise function.
Why not start with a proven bike design and use no-proprietary parts? I have see many bike companies come and go. And you do not want to get stuck with an oddball bike and one without any local support.

Why not start with a proven bike design and use no-proprietary parts? I have see many bike companies come and go. And you do not want to get stuck with an oddball bike and one without any local support.
this one would be really bad maybe a seat post and seat would be the only standard parts. no shop could work on it either.

These sorts of offers are as successful as Las Vegas gambling. For every success there are LOTS of failures. I can’t afford or justify that gamble.

How many times has a company offered a new progressive design only to realize the wheel will not be reinvented.

How many times has a company offered a new progressive design only to realize the wheel will not be reinvented.
Is there one with an "endless track" yet? Or a rocket bike that uses compressed air for getting off the line? ( I do not know how Elons flight of fancy turned out, wacko ideas turn me away at this stage)

View attachment 88177
Well here is the problem.........What BENEFITS come from the hubless design all by itself?
If you can't identify the BENEFITS of re-inventing the wheel, then why pay for it?
For example, I stopped at a resale shop and got a full suspension Trek for $25.
The benefits are I don't have to lock it. Or store it indoors. This bike will always have to be
cared for and locked. So.....what are the benefits of the hubless design? The site says nothing.

Edit: I went over the site again and if say you can hook your bags inside the wheels. No other bike can
carry your big inside the wheels. I'd much prefer a soft suspension system and an integrated
cable system. I don't want to chase down people who ARE going to carry this away, even
if it's just to mount it on a wall as an art piece.

So this is my wish list:
-Silky smooth ride on any terrain
-Airless tires
-80 mile range.

If a hubless design meets your needs, please correct me.

Last edited:
Back