Is there any alternative to bike or helmet mirrors?

eagamer80

I commute more than 200 miles per week and one of my greatest concerns is when I have to look back to pass someone (probably the most dangerous part of cycling).
And frankly, I don't like installing mirrors on my bike, it looks horrible. I've been checking some discrete mirrors on the handlebars or even as wearables, but I haven't found one single mirror that is not too small (so, useless) or too big that making your bike look "not-so-nice".
I've recently came across to this product called Zona, but it seems it is more adequate for motorbikes (though it may work, but it require some connection to the battery of the bike to keep the camera working, so I think this solution is discarded). The ideal would be having some in-lens mirror that could fit inside any sport-glasses, but as they have a curvature, they usually don't fit well.
So far, all the helmet mirrors I've seen they look ridiculous. It would be nice to have a mirror that could be fitted into any sport glasses without having to look like a weirdo.
Is there anyone that can recommend a good product regarding mirrors or gadgets that could be effective on a bike?

I commute more than 200 miles per week and one of my greatest concerns is when I have to look back to pass someone (probably the most dangerous part of cycling).
And frankly, I don't like installing mirrors on my bike, it looks horrible. I've been checking some discrete mirrors on the handlebars or even as wearables, but I haven't found one single mirror that is not too small (so, useless) or too big that making your bike look "not-so-nice".
I've recently came across to this product called Zona, but it seems it is more adequate for motorbikes (though it may work, but it require some connection to the battery of the bike to keep the camera working, so I think this solution is discarded). The ideal would be having some in-lens mirror that could fit inside any sport-glasses, but as they have a curvature, they usually don't fit well.
So far, all the helmet mirrors I've seen they look ridiculous. It would be nice to have a mirror that could be fitted into any sport glasses without having to look like a weirdo.
Is there anyone that can recommend a good product regarding mirrors or gadgets that could be effective on a bike?

Zona is a scam just like Skully was.

I really like my "Bike Peddler Take a look Cycling Eyeglass Mirror", Amazon, $13: https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Peddler...sr=1-3&keywords=bike+helmet+mirror&th=1&psc=1

I only commute around 50 miles per week; but, I can sometimes trail ride before and after work around +80 miles on top of my work commute miles. I attached it to my Fox helmet on the sun-visor. The mirror is large enough for me to have a clear view behind me during the day or in the dark on my 5:15am-5:30am morning commutes. You can attach to your riding glasses or helmet. I just did the helmet because I wear anti-fog ski googles during winter (cold air makes my eyes water too much when riding). In the summer I switch between sunglasses during the day and clear glasses at night (need eye protections always because of so many bugs and road debris at 15-22 mph on a ebike).

The only thing I did extra was wrap a velcro strip around the part that clips to my helmet visor because I sometimes hit branches on the single track trails and I knocked off my last one in the woods during a night ride.

2014 Fox Flux helmet with NiteRider Pro 2200, Bike Peddler mirror, Cat-Ears wind noise reducer, and Light and Motion Vis 180 on the rear.

fox helmet front.jpg
fox helmet side.jpg

'Eyes in the back of your head'

https://www.rearviz.com/

Quit worrying about how your bike looks and install a mirror before you get killed.

I use the mirror that came with the Turbo and find it adequate, being a motorcycle rider as well I can't imagine being without a mirror.
There is a Garmin radar device but only have seen a demo of it, seems to work but I prefer to see whats behind me - you can't tell the behaviour of vehicles behind you with the radar blip.

Don't mean to pile on, but don't get killed. I cannot ride without a mirror.
Most importantly, you the no helmet mirror looks funny, but helmet without a mirror looks cool?

For the moment I just purchased a handle mirror for the left side of the bike and a wrist-velcro mirror. I will decide which of both are the best, if not the two of them at the same time, otherwise I will move on and try some of the other things you've recommended. I had previously a mirror that you can attach to the handlebar, but was too tiny and I had to adjust it manually when I was riding, it was not practical and neither safe.
I'm just trying to find the middle ground between vanity and safety. I don't want to scare people off when I am an cycling even if that makes my ride safer. Would you use siren and lights as ambulances do if that make your ride safer?

For the moment I just purchased a handle mirror for the left side of the bike and a wrist-velcro mirror. I will decide which of both are the best, if not the two of them at the same time, otherwise I will move on and try some of the other things you've recommended. I had previously a mirror that you can attach to the handlebar, but was too tiny and I had to adjust it manually when I was riding, it was not practical and neither safe.
I'm just trying to find the middle ground between vanity and safety. I don't want to scare people off when I am an cycling even if that makes my ride safer. Would you use siren and lights as ambulances do if that make your ride safer?
good point. I think the 15$ mirricycle bar end is probably your best bet. They look as good as anything else, tighten up good, have good visibility and can easily be removed when you are not anticipating the need for one. I often wonder what good they really are- a split second of knowing you are about to get run over…….. but I really feel uncomfortable without one.

Back