Is there an eyelet for a rear rack

tungwaiyip

I am trying to add a rear rack to the Yamaha cross core. There is an eyelet in the inside of the rear frame, which has a fender screwed. There is a black triangular patch on the outside. I expect it is the cover of another eyelet for the rack. I have tried the hardest to remove the patch with no success. Any tip about this? I am not even 100% sure if there is an eyelet under it. So I avoid using force to remove it. But looking at its sibling Cross Connect, it seems to be in the right position.

y1.jpg

1619293163608.png

There is definitely an eyelet under that piece. If I recall correctly, there is a screw that you'll need to remove from the inside of the seat stay. This is much easier to do if you remove the wheel. You'll need the clearance to work anyway.

edit for clarification: There is only one eyelet but it can accommodate the fender and rack mounts. On my urban rush, I have the fender struts mounted inside of the seat stay and rack mounted to the outside of the seat stay. You will need to be creative about bolt lengths and nuts to properly secure both.

02691432-4C53-4131-8DAC-6BA0032E99FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you. Taking the wheel off helps. I have made some progress. But still no luck to pry it off. Furthermore, I scraped some paint and found that the black piece is made of medal, not plastic.

bike.jpg

Thank you. Taking the wheel off helps. I have made some progress. But still no luck to pry it off. Furthermore, I scraped some paint and found that the black piece is made of medal, not plastic.

View attachment 86043
You’re more than half way done taking it out! You just need to push it out from the inside. Something like a nail will work.

I pushed it out. Thank you. I would not have tried so hard if not for your tips. It is one piece of metal with a threaded end in the inside.

b.jpg

Turn out this is not the only difficult one. The plastic cap in the on the upper part of the seat stay won't come out either. I ended up tearing the cap but the rest stuck in the thread like an anchor bolt. I tried drilling and pulling and all other ridiculous method to extract them. Took me at least an hour to get one out. The other one was dislodged and felt into the tube.

There is definitely an eyelet under that piece. If I recall correctly, there is a screw that you'll need to remove from the inside of the seat stay. This is much easier to do if you remove the wheel. You'll need the clearance to work anyway.

edit for clarification: There is only one eyelet but it can accommodate the fender and rack mounts. On my urban rush, I have the fender struts mounted inside of the seat stay and rack mounted to the outside of the seat stay. You will need to be creative about bolt lengths and nuts to properly secure both.

View attachment 85996
Hey Dude, What rack is that? and are those Yamaha OEM fenders? thanks

Hey Dude, What rack is that? and are those Yamaha OEM fenders? thanks
Rack is a Axiom DLX Streamliner disc and the fenders are SKS EDGE AL 46 aluminum fenders. I love the rack. The fenders look great but it was a chore to fit in the rear. I had to fabricate a spacer out of aluminum tubing because the eyelet behind the cranks was set in too deep.

Rack is a Axiom DLX Streamliner disc and the fenders are SKS EDGE AL 46 aluminum fenders. I love the rack. The fenders look great but it was a chore to fit in the rear. I had to fabricate a spacer out of aluminum tubing because the eyelet behind the cranks was set in too deep.
Rear rack is nice, thanks

So I have a Topeak I was going to try to install. But if you take off the black pieces you no long have threads for it. It’s just a hole. Looks like the Yamaha rack removes the black piece and uses a bolt and nut.

So I have a Topeak I was going to try to install. But if you take off the black pieces you no long have threads for it. It’s just a hole. Looks like the Yamaha rack removes the black piece and uses a bolt and nut.

That’s correct. Most racks I’ve installed come with a few lengths of bolts. Sometimes they work, sometimes you have to go to the hardware store to get the one that fits best.

Has anyone ever put on the Yamaha brand rack and fender? It comes with everything including wires and light in individual bags but no instructions. No idea where to run thes wires and hook this up.

Has anyone ever put on the Yamaha brand rack and fender? It comes with everything including wires and light in individual bags but no instructions. No idea where to run thes wires and hook this up.
I have a cross core and looking to do same but gaveng p/u parts yet. I dont have bike in front of me, I would look for cutouts in frame leading towards motor for the wires and from what I've read you can remove some bolts from motor and swing it down, there may be some empty wire connectors there for the light, plug and play

So I called Yamaha and they emailed me directions. It shows taking off the motor which could void my warranty so I packed up everything and took it into the shop to have them do it. Hopefully it will come out alright.

Yup. Have to drop the motor to get to the wiring harness. It’s not that difficult with the correct tools but it’s time consuming to do it correctly.

You can see how it’s done in this video for a SpeedBox install. I had to loosen the chainrings on my Urban Rush, too.

So I called Yamaha and they emailed me directions. It shows taking off the motor which could void my warranty so I packed up everything and took it into the shop to have them do it. Hopefully it will come out alright.
just watched that video, it was good. Straightforward and simple, if you have minimum skills it shouldn't scare you to do that. Just make sure to tuck wires up and away during reassembly, no warranty issue.
I'm more concerned the shop gives the job to the 18 year old kid whose on his phone with gf and paying little attention.
BTW- all I've read about the speedtune is its problematic for yamaha motors, have they resolved those issues?

Well they were going to wait until Monday when their mechanic came in to do it. I just didn’t want to mess with any warranty issues since this bike has such a great warranty.

Well they were going to wait until Monday when their mechanic came in to do it. I just didn’t want to mess with any warranty issues since this bike has such a great warranty.
where did you get parts, online? any discount?
yeah I'm surprised Yamaha isn't a top selling ebike, great warranty and great bike from mature company. not much online chatter about them as compared to so many of these unknown Chinese brands imported

where did you get parts, online? any discount?
yeah I'm surprised Yamaha isn't a top selling ebike, great warranty and great bike from mature company. not much online chatter about them as compared to so many of these unknown Chinese brands imported
I grabbed the last kit in the store I bought the bike. I haven’t gotten any discounts so far but I’m supporting a new store. Probably could have saved a grand online on the bike. I don’t believe anyone has the rear fender and rack though.

Back