Is there a cover for the battery connections when battery is not installed?

Oh you have the pro model, that is definitely a side release.

For future reference it being a pro model matters a lot, they change battery packs in at least some pro models, for example fathom e+ normal model https://images.giant-bicycles.com/b...n3axz6u5iv96d2q1tehf/MY19-Fathom-E-3_Grey.jpg fathom e+ pro model https://www.emtbforums.com/community/attachments/2018-12-18-12-38-18-jpg.11272/ completely different battery design.

EDITED:
for example that is the road e+ normal model, don't think they make non pro model anymore, but yeah it was a top release, it is the pro model that is a side release.

Thanks for the link. The pics are helpful.

The pics show that my Road-E is a side release as opposed to Top release (eg, I turn the key and pull the battery towards me (as opposed to lifting it up).

The specs at https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/road-eplus-1-pro state that "Features include an innovative side-release 500Wh EnergyPak and tubeless tires "

Finally, the user manual seems to be consistent with my Road-E being side release.

View attachment 36963

Ugh. I think I'm going to my LBS and get them to order the appropriate part rather than me ordering it through the webstore.

I was going to order one this morning through the Giant Canada website, but then I saw the shipping was $10!!!!! For a $5 cover. I called my local dealer and he has it in stock so I'll be picking one up on Sunday.

And I agree that your battery is a side release. It says so on the website, but also the photo of the bike shows that it's side release. Same thing as I have on my Explore E+1.

Looks like the Road E is side release, my mistake (apparently). Easy enough to check with dealer when ordering one, though.

I drove out to the Giant dealer this morning and picked up that cover we've been talking about. My first impression was disappointment because the cover seemed so uh, cheap. And it looked like there was no way it would "snap" into place securely. Also the dealer charged 20% more than the Giant price. Very little money, but just an annoyance. (By the time I factor in my car use - at $0.25/km - it ended up costing me more than if I'd just ordered it online and paid the $10 shipping charge.) Yes, I'm nitpicking. (But somebody's got to do it! :) )

Anyway, I was surprised when I got home and tried it to find that it actually DOES snap into place. Fairly securely.

Kinda funny that it comes with a keyring attached... maybe they expect you to put your keys on it and stick the whole thing in your pocket. :)

This is what it looks like attached to the bike:

i-ZTxm6qQ.jpg

I drove out to the Giant dealer this morning and picked up that cover we've been talking about. My first impression was disappointment because the cover seemed so uh, cheap. And it looked like there was no way it would "snap" into place securely. Also the dealer charged 20% more than the Giant price. Very little money, but just an annoyance. (By the time I factor in my car use - at $0.25/km - it ended up costing me more than if I'd just ordered it online and paid the $10 shipping charge.) Yes, I'm nitpicking. (But somebody's got to do it! :) )

Anyway, I was surprised when I got home and tried it to find that it actually DOES snap into place. Fairly securely.

Kinda funny that it comes with a keyring attached... maybe they expect you to put your keys on it and stick the whole thing in your pocket. :)

This is what it looks like attached to the bike:

Thanks for posting. I think I'll definitely be picking that up then!

Mine is basically a round plug where the battery connects so I was thinking an automotive rubber vacuum plug, if I can find a size that plugs in to it.

Also , is there something to protect the battery ? Imagine those terminals shorting out on your car seat rails......

I saw these elsewhere on the forum:

I couldn't find the thread so I can't credit the original poster.

Two sizes are available. I ordered the small rectangular bags for all my batteries.

37302 37303

I saw these elsewhere on the forum:

View attachment 37300

I couldn't find the thread so I can't credit the original poster.

Two sizes are available. I ordered the small rectangular bags for all my batteries.

View attachment 37302 View attachment 37303

Are they fire proof? https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a28778383/electric-bike-explosion/

I'm curious here, not being critical, how did you come to this conclusion?

I'm by no means an expert. I have a considerable number of these batteries and I do take note of battery related fires. Every one I've seen or read about involved damage to the exterior of one or more cells in the pack or overheating due to short circuits or overcharging.

There were a rash of hoverboard battery fires a year or so ago that claimed to be spontaneous. I suspect physical damage was the actual cause since these devices tend to take a beating.

I'm sure there are other causes but these two seem to be the ones most identified.

Back