Is there a cover for the battery connections when battery is not installed?

Mtl_Biker

Thanks to a little accident yesterday morning giving me a cracked rib and very bruised shoulder and back, I needed to lift my e-bike onto the bike carrier on my car. Darned HEAVY!!! So I removed the battery first, making it somewhat easier to lift (but still painful with the rib). Anyway, that got me to thinking that if I wanted to drive somewhere with the bike on the rack (without the battery in place) all the battery connections on the bike would be exposed to the elements. Rain, dust, etc. probably wouldn't be good for that.

So, has anyone found a good way to cover those connections when the battery isn't in place?

Also , is there something to protect the battery ? Imagine those terminals shorting out on your car seat rails......

Without leaving the battery in place, this:

NC-17_Neoprene_Battery_Cover_Bosch_Powertube_2048x.jpg

Bosch-Yamaha-Battery-Protection-Cap.jpg

sort of neoprene battery cover is the best thing I have seen, at least until someone makes something for the yamaha like what elect posted for the bosch.

Giant does have a snap on plastic cover for the battery connector area when the battery is off... while being transported on a car rack, in my case. My local shop had them for the side removal batteries in stock, and are ordering me one for my ToughRoad. About eleven bucks US.

Great! Only problem is that it doesn't seem to be available on the U.S. website, maybe they think California is still in a drought. :--)

Fingers crossed my dealer has one because guaranteed now I'm gonna need one!

Giant does have a snap on plastic cover for the battery connector area when the battery is off... while being transported on a car rack, in my case. My local shop had them for the side removal batteries in stock, and are ordering me one for my ToughRoad. About eleven bucks US.
Well that's a much better deal than my plastic bag and rubber band idea. :)

Searching the Giant sites before I posted my question didn't turn it up. But I'll call my Giant dealer to see if he has that. It would be perfect if I could get one.
Thank you!

Oh, so that is what this is https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/energypak-protection-cover-2019 had seen it before but didn't even occur to me that it was to cover the battery ports, wonder if it works in the ones where the battery is down the tube, although ofc those don't need it as much.

photo of it in use
Giant-Capuchon-de-protection-pour-batterie-EnergyPak-Top-Release-action.jpg
I'd seen that too, but since they call it an energypak protection cover, I was pretty sure it would cover the energy pack. Meaning the battery. The bike itself doesn't have an energy pack. If this is really the right product (and from the photo you posted, it looks like it is) it would be perfect, but gee, they should have named it (or described it) in a better way.

Thanks to a little accident yesterday morning giving me a cracked rib and very bruised shoulder and back, I needed to lift my e-bike onto the bike carrier on my car. Darned HEAVY!!! So I removed the battery first, making it somewhat easier to lift (but still painful with the rib). Anyway, that got me to thinking that if I wanted to drive somewhere with the bike on the rack (without the battery in place) all the battery connections on the bike would be exposed to the elements. Rain, dust, etc. probably wouldn't be good for that.

So, has anyone found a good way to cover those connections when the battery isn't in place?

From this video, looks like a lot of water, soap etc. can go into the area where the battery connector is:

Looks like you ride motorcycle also- I use a Metrovac Sidekick air blower to dry my motorbike- I'm thinking about using it to blow that area dry once I'm finished cleaning (although I'd probably hold it a ways away from the area as a lot of comes out of that beast).

As I said in another reply, because they call it an "Energypak" protection cover, and the energypak is the battery and not the bike, I was sure it was for the battery. That's why I overlooked it. Plus the description says, "POWER PROTECTOR. Designed to keep your main source of energy safe. The new line of Giant E-bike EnergyPak gear offers a safe, convenient system to keep your valuable power source secure and safe. We have everything you need to keep your EnergyPak safe—whether you’re riding, parked outside or carrying your bike."

They really should have named it and described it better to make clear it's not a cover for the battery at all.

From this video, looks like a lot of water, soap etc. can go into the area where the battery connector is:

Looks like you ride motorcycle also- I use a Metrovac Sidekick air blower to dry my motorbike- I'm thinking about using it to blow that area dry once I'm finished cleaning (although I'd probably hold it a ways away from the area as a lot of comes out of that beast).

I ride a BMW GS and the expression is, "A clean GS is a DIRTY SHAME!". I think I might have washed it only 5-6 times in the last 5 years. :) The way I last washed it was to ride through a stream with the water up over the axles. Seriously. (But I don't want to do that again.)

But with the e-bike, I'll be real careful about washing and drying it. I was more concerned though about keeping water and dirt from getting onto the connectors while carrying the bike on my car rack without the battery installed. You can't always plan to drive in dry weather, especially if going away for a few days.

A Giant dealer can order these for you. There are two models and they’re different, one for the side release batteries like the Liv Amiti, one for the top release like the Road E and Toughroad E. One’s a model 10, the other an 11.

A Giant dealer can order these for you. There are two models and they’re different, one for the side release batteries like the Liv Amiti, one for the top release like the Road E and Toughroad E.

Please can you clarify, is the Road-E EnergyPak considered 'top release' or 'side release'? The specs state that it is 'side release'

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/energypak that shows what side release and top pull is, a Road-E is a top release, while something like the Explore E+ is a side release, you can see it by the design of the energy pack.

Thanks for the link. The pics are helpful.

The pics show that my Road-E is a side release as opposed to Top release (eg, I turn the key and pull the battery towards me (as opposed to lifting it up).

The specs at https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/road-eplus-1-pro state that "Features include an innovative side-release 500Wh EnergyPak and tubeless tires "

Finally, the user manual seems to be consistent with my Road-E being side release.

1566484479487.png

Ugh. I think I'm going to my LBS and get them to order the appropriate part rather than me ordering it through the webstore.

Back