Is it safe to freely use the throttle WHILE PEDALING on a mid drive?

gladiataar

Region
USA
City
California
I just watched a YT video this afternoon where the guy said you should NEVER use the throttle while pedaling. Then I read an EBR thread tonight where a guy said his wife does it all the time.

Which is it? Does it depend on whether the motor is hub or mid?

I know you're not supposed to pedal hard while shifting gears, but this is the first I've ever heard someone say you either pedal OR use throttle -- not both at the same time. I thought the whole point of having the throttle was to press it, while in any pedal-assist mode, for that extra bit of oomph pedaling up a hill.

I just watched a YT video this afternoon where the guy said you should NEVER use the throttle while pedaling. Then I read an EBR thread tonight where a guy said his wife does it all the time.

I know you're not supposed to pedal hard while shifting gears, but this is the first I've ever heard someone say you either pedal OR use throttle -- not both at the same time. I thought the whole point of having the throttle was to press it, while in any pedal-assist mode, for that extra bit of oomph pedaling up a hill.
I might be that guy. Can't speak to mid-drives, but just to be clear, on my torque-sensing hub-drive, you can pedal and throttle at the same time in any combination. The torque-sensing part is probably irrelevant.

I wonder why you need a throttle in a mid-drive motor e-bike in the first place...
The cycling purists also wonder why you need a mid-drive motor e-bike in the first place too…...

Some people want an e-bike, and some of those want it with a throttle too.

Just my observation but those mid drive motors with better thermal capacity (read more powerful mid-drives) tend to have throttles.

To the OP, I have pedalled whilst using the throttle on my Bafang Ultra powered e-bike. I also understand some e-bikes require you to pedal for the throttle to operate.

for the same reason you need different assistance levels - it's an option, the world doesn't implode if you use it
No, I use pedals instead of throttle.
Wrong analogy: Throttle e-bikes have assistance levels as well.

If you pedal while using the throttle, are you actually accomplishing anything? Is that what those people are doing when I see them turning their cranks with zero effort while traveling at 20 mph?

That's total nonsense...... when on a mid or on a hub drive powered bike. I own and ride both types and use the throttle while pedaling on occasion for a quick temporary burst of extra power not worth the trouble of shifting or increasing PAS levels.....

I wonder why you need a throttle in a mid-drive motor e-bike in the first place...
I respect your anti throttle sentiment Stefan. Please understand though that there are those, due to age or physical handicap, who have trouble getting started on a heavy ebike. Mid drive or hub, a throttle allows many more people to enjoy our sport. For some, it also eliminates part of the anxiety of not being able to get home should a medical emergency occur.

I respect your anti throttle sentiment Stefan. Please understand though that there are those, due to age or physical handicap, who have trouble getting started on a heavy ebike. Mid drive or hub, a throttle allows many more people to enjoy our sport. For some, it also eliminates part of the anxiety of not being able to get home should a medical emergency occur.
Stephan, who is on many levels a nice and helpful man, turns from Dr Jekyll to mr Hide when throttles are concerned.
Best leave him alone when in that stage :)

I would LOVE to have a throttle on my mid drive bike! It's the thing I miss most about my Flow.

I don't know how drivers are in other places, but American drivers think the roads are only for them, and get quite impatient if you happen to be in mixed company at a stop and don't get going again fast enough to keep them happy!

I think I agree with Stefan on this.

I totally understand the need for some to have a throttle. Heck, I might have to buy a bike with one someday. I just don’t fully understand when I see healthy people relying unnecessarily upon a throttle. Sometimes, I’ll see a group of 6-8 young people on a bike path, all of them zipping along with their throttles. I know they’re having fun, but they’re missing out on an opportunity to get some healthy exercise. Not much exercise if they have a cadence sensor, but some. 😊

If you pedal while using the throttle, are you actually accomplishing anything?
Yes, it does accomplish useful things. As mentioned earlier, my wife often feathers in throttle on top of pedaling on our torque-sensing hub-drives — mainly to keep up with me over rolling hills. I change gears or adjust PAS instead, but if she prefers her way for whatever reason, who am I to disapprove? At least she's out riding with me.

I add blips of throttle on top of pedaling for instant bursts of speed, mainly in traffic. The throttle cuts out at 20 mph, but below that, pedaling plus throttle equals greater speed during the brief time the throttle's on. Very handy for crossing our busy Coast Highway to get from the bike lane to the car left turn lane in one piece — especially uphill.

Are there other ways to accomplish that? Sure, and I've tried them. But if that's my preference, for whatever reason, who's anyone else to say it's wrong or unnecessary?

Is that what those people are doing when I see them turning their cranks with zero effort while traveling at 20 mph?
Some of them may be idling the pedals while throttling along, but I think a lot of them are ghost-pedaling ebikes with simple cadence sensors, which can amount to the same thing.

I think I agree with Stefan on this.

I totally understand the need for some to have a throttle. Heck, I might have to buy a bike with one someday. I just don’t fully understand when I see healthy people relying unnecessarily upon a throttle. 😊
If someone told you how to use your pedal assist or what gear to be in, you'd say, "Butt out, not your call." If a smug roadie in lycra came up and said your motor's unnecessary, you'd say the same thing.

Throttle use is no different.

Last edited:
If someone told you how to use your pedal assist or what gear to be in, you'd say, "Butt out, not your call." If a smug roadie in lycra came up and said your motor's unnecessary, you'd say the same thing.

Throttle use is no different.
Sure, but that’s just a smug roadie who knows nothing about e-bikes, particularly 35Nm mid-drives.

Been on a ride today, Jeremy? 😊
Screenshot_20230804_193743_ELEMNT.jpg

Silly me, I could have done it on a throttle 😊

As you can see, mentioning the T-word on this forum is like stepping on a landmine. Who knew that a simple riding tool valuable to some members would become so polarizing? After nearly a year on EBR, still don't understand that.

Members who fully embrace using a motor to reduce pedaling effort, boost speed, or both somehow draw the line at adding a t****** to the equation — even though nothing about having a t****** compels you to stop pedaling. (At least not usually.)

Please know that EBR's generally a friendly, helpful, and largely rational place. Sorry that your debut landed on its small dark side.

Last edited:
Back