Is It Just Me Or Has 2018 Been the Worst Weather Year Ever For Cycling?

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
Here in the northeastern US, 2018 has had the worst weather for cycling that I can remember. The snow didn't melt until April, May was rainy, we had record heat in June, July and August, more rain in September and now record cold in October. We literally missed out on Spring and Fall, the best time for cycling around here. I hope this isn't a harbinger of climate change.

Normally, I ride between 1.5K and 2K miles in a season and was hoping to do a lot more on the ebike. This year I'll be lucky to get in 800 miles. It's just my luck 2018 was the year I decided to get into ebiking!

I'm curious about how other riders have "weathered" 2018 so far.

hasn't been great. Winter was same here in Michigan, was cold and long. We got a couple days of nice in early April, then back to cold. Average rain during summer, I don't mind the heat at all, as I spent 10 years in TX. But this October has been wet. I have 2164 miles on ebikes, guessing about half that (1000k) miles on naturally aspirated bikes so about 3K total so far since April. I commute daily in Michigan, not looking forward to the big freeze..

I don't mind heat or a little rain, but the wind didn't break under 15 mph until end of May and it went over 15 in mid-September instead of the usual mid-October. I don't enjoy riding my 30 miles to the summer camp against a >10 mph wind. I closed up out there in September instead of October after a 5.6 hour ordeal following 4.6 hours going out. Spent the next 4 weeks converting my cargo bike to electric. We had gusts of 45 mph with a front last week, which I don't remember happening in October.
Global warming is a fact, however much our leaders deny it. I contributed way too much CO2 to the atmosphere my work years, but I've reformed since I quit. I used only 55 gallons of fuel this year, in my lawnmower and on vacation. Natural gas 500 Therms. Electricity 2400 KWH.

Last edited:
I live in the southwest (ABQ, NM) and the weather has been very dry for 2018. Still in a drought with fire restrictions during the spring/summer. The only thing that has been extreme was the summer heat with almost every day in June between 95-105 degrees. We had a few weeks and Jan/Feb in the low teens/20s. It was a dry heat just like it was a dry winter (perfect for riding with the right gear). I had more riding days in 2018 compared to 2017. We are expecting a wet winter with more rain and snow before the new year.

We had wonderful weather from Spring through Fall in the Pacific NW. It's now getting rainy and will be very dark soon, but that's just how it is here.

Different perspective, I guess... we live near Saratoga Springs, NY and I thought it was a great year. Almost to 3000 miles so far, all pleasure, no commuting. Still hope to hit that number if we can get a little more decent weather in November. Anything above 35 is fair game to me, as long as the wind isn’t blowing more than 8 mph or so, and we do get a good bit of wind around here, coming down the Mohawk River... we’ll see where we end up. This week is supposed to be all rain after today.

Don’t mind a headwind on an ebike, obviously, but this time of year that wind can make it COLD. I was up in Saranac Lake and Lake Placid this weekend and experienced a full on snowstorm Sunday up there. Didn’t even bring the bike this time.

Yes....been pretty nice all year in Colorado. I just road to work this morning and it was just lightly snowing when I left my home to commute more than 15 miles to work. I find winter riding to be very reasonable so long as there isn't too much snow/ice on the sidewalks, bike paths, or bike lanes. I ride in temperatures at low at 10*F and it's not that cold when riding (typically more comfortable that summer riding in my opinion). I think people don't consider biking a winter activity but think of it like skiing - when you are actively moving you stay warm naturally.

I'm a big believer that ebikes can get people out of cars for many mobility needs if they just try.

I ride in temperatures at low at 10*F and it's not that cold when riding (typically more comfortable that summer riding in my opinion). I think people don't consider biking a winter activity but think of it like skiing - when you are actively moving you stay warm naturally.

I've noticed the same on our chilly morning is New Mexico. Dressing in layers, motorcycle or ski googles, bar mitts, and keeping the air off the skin can make for very comfy ride when the temps are below freezing and added wind chill of +20 mph speeds. I sometimes have to back off a bit to keep from breaking too much of sweat on my morning ride into work (no showers at work).

Noticed the same in +95 degree summer heat being able to stay cooler on an ebike at 17-20 mph compared to my old pedal bike at 10-13 mph. I'm pretty much the only one bike commuting when the temps get below 32 or above 95 in my town.

We had bad smoke through August, but that isn't really the weather. We can blame Canada for a lot of that smoke. Eventually, the woods will be all burned up and we won't have to worry about it. :)

We also had bad smoke nearly all summer where I live in the west coast of Canada, of course it's the Americans fault. The smoke pretty much ruins it for everything including bike riding.

Here in the northeastern US, 2018 has had the worst weather for cycling that I can remember. The snow didn't melt until April, May was rainy, we had record heat in June, July and August, more rain in September and now record cold in October. We literally missed out on Spring and Fall, the best time for cycling around here. I hope this isn't a harbinger of climate change.

Normally, I ride between 1.5K and 2K miles in a season and was hoping to do a lot more on the ebike. This year I'll be lucky to get in 800 miles. It's just my luck 2018 was the year I decided to get into ebiking!

I'm curious about how other riders have "weathered" 2018 so far.
California has been glorious this year. Still in the high 70s/low 80s. Didn't get too hot this year. Rains were near normal. Only problem is too many people. I'm lucky and live in a virtual oasis in SF Bay Area next to a major State park and regional trail system literally at my back door. But drive 2 miles and I'm in gridlock on the freeway thanks to commuters and will be moving to Kauai soon - to get as far away from The Blowhard in the WH as possible.

We also had bad smoke nearly all summer where I live in the west coast of Canada, of course it's the Americans fault. The smoke pretty much ruins it for everything including bike riding.
There's that dry Canadian humor again!
We actually got hit by your smoke, and that of the Western Oregon. and Nor-Cal fires. Worst I've ever seen in my 35 yrs out here on the Olympic Peninsula.

I've noticed the same on our chilly morning is New Mexico. Dressing in layers, motorcycle or ski googles, bar mitts, and keeping the air off the skin can make for very comfy ride when the temps are below freezing and added wind chill of +20 mph speeds. I sometimes have to back off a bit to keep from breaking too much of sweat on my morning ride into work (no showers at work).

Noticed the same in +95 degree summer heat being able to stay cooler on an ebike at 17-20 mph compared to my old pedal bike at 10-13 mph. I'm pretty much the only one bike commuting when the temps get below 32 or above 95 in my town.

Very good points! There is a chilling effect on an ebike at the higher speeds for sure so long as below say 95 / body temp. In the winter you will get warm from riding but people rarely think about it (they just think of the rider as freezing and most of the time they are feeling great about not being in a car).

As others from Colorado have mentioned, its been great, especially in the fall. I do stop getting out when it dips below 30. Last two weeks have been awesome

Bad weather is actually what got me into an ebike. Bad hailstorm in June completly really messed up one of my cars which I wasnt really using that much anyway. Insurance paid me a fair price for it and I used that money for my first ebike.

As others from Colorado have mentioned, its been great, especially in the fall. I do stop getting out when it dips below 30. Last two weeks have been awesome

Bad weather is actually what got me into an ebike. Bad hailstorm in June completly really messed up one of my cars which I wasnt really using that much anyway. Insurance paid me a fair price for it and I used that money for my first ebike.

Seriously try riding down to even as low as 10. It's remarkable how much heat your body generates from riding activity. I'm sure I could ride down to 0 and may have so most of the year is just fine for biking in Colorado. Just be careful on ice - I went down once and almost another time (never deviate from a straight line on ice unless going very slow).

Seriously try riding down to even as low as 10. It's remarkable how much heat your body generates from riding activity. I'm sure I could ride down to 0 and may have so most of the year is just fine for biking in Colorado. Just be careful on ice - I went down once and almost another time (never deviate from a straight line on ice unless going very slow).
I'm ready for the ice here in Mi. I have the nokian 26"x1.9" W106 mount and ground for my stromer. I used those tires on my 26" mountain bike years ago when my commute to work was only 5.5 miles each way.

If the mount and ground's aren't up to the task, I also have a pair of Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 361 Spikes 26x2.35 but I don't think those will fit under my fenders. If there's a big snow day, I'm ready to try my two wheel drive evo big bud pro on the way to/from work, I'm just fitting it with winter lights is all that it's missing.

Back