Your Hopes & Goals in Buying an Ebike - How Has the Reality of It Worked Out?

I was an avid but untrained biker in my younger days (from childhood BMX, teenager borrowing my brother's road bike, 20s-30s mountain bikes) until I went into sedentary mode in my 40s. Or maybe not totally sedentary but I was doing other things (like kayaking) and biking was just too difficult because I had relocated to the Detroit area from areas better suited to biking. Better suited both in terms of weather and places to bike.

A number of years ago I saw a story about Rad in the business press. I investigated e-bikes but was turned off by the weight. I thought 60 pounds was utterly ridiculous for a bicycle. I put the idea out of my mind for a couple of years. The desire to have a good bike and use it for transportation was gnawing at me. I started looking at touring and commuter bikes. I thought "maybe I could ride a bike to work once in a while" all the while acknowledging the difficulty of a 36 mile round trip commute, mostly in the dark, and partially through sketchy parts of town. I also wanted to find another form of commuting and my wife wasn't going to let me buy that Piaggio scooter I wanted. So I settled on a Spot city-commuter bike and fixed it up nicely (belt-drive, IGH, rack, fenders, dynamo...). I started riding a lot more on weekends and weeknights using it for errands and just around the neighborhood. But 10 miles was a long ride for me. 20 was about my limit. After a period of time I began to realize that maybe a 36 mile, 3-4 hour bike commute wasn't so feasible for me as a 50+ man in only so-so shape. The e-bike light went off again. I started investigating, reading the forums and watching Court's videos.

I ignored the naysayers such as my suburbanite co-workers who would say "doesn't an e-bike defeat the purpose of biking"? Or "are you crazy or just insane?" when I said I was going to commute to downtown via e-bike. And I settled on a Riese and Muller as my entry into the bike commuter world. I pedaled hard on that first commute. All my planning for pacing myself and getting into better shape gradually went out the window thanks to the fear of riding through the dark through Detroit neighborhoods sometimes in the fog and cold. Fear and range anxiety are great motivators and I got into much better shape much faster than I had anticipated. Wanting to be in better shape for the commute motivated me to return to some light weight training and other cardio-type exercises particularly during cold weather. I'm considering a spin bike as a polar vortex fighter.

The commute adventures piled up. From a road-rage woman in a minivan on my very first commute to a pack of feral dogs at 6 am on a dark, foggy street. I want to say I conquered the fear but I still get nervous before each commute. There is a lot that can go wrong. Taxi and bus drivers are maniacal. There is always traffic veering into and out of the liquor and lotto at 6am and with the cars parked in the street I am hard to see. Potholes are almost invisible in the dark and can form overnight. Pedestrians, skateboarders and joggers in the bike lanes with headphones. Road ragers and distracted drivers. Feral dogs, deer, skunks, rats, squirrels and sometimes a pheasant must be watched-for. Once, there was a young man sitting on a park bench shouting obscenities and he had a full-size axe at his feet. Another trip I encountered a shirtless, bald man with full-body tattoos who appeared suddenly on the sidewalk with a machete. But my concern subsided when he set about chopping weeds in a vacant lot. And I haven't been shot at yet. And, on the contrary, I've even run into a lot of really nice folks on my commute. Sometimes I'm surprised at how nice people can be. And the fear and risk is outweighed by the satisfaction I get from completing the ride and improving my times or changing my routes to see new things. I arrive at work in a better mood, I eat a better breakfast and I get home at night and find it easier to relax and sleep.

The commuting lead to wanting to use the bike for everything I could possible use it for which lead to a proliferation of e-bikes in my "stable". Learning from my commute and about my abilities also contributed to me expanding my bike collection or to switching bikes. I now have four e-bikes. One for hauling groceries. One for quick, easy ability to throw in the car. Both are bikes that my wife can also ride. And two for commuting or just whatever.

My wife now rides more than she ever did. Since I was riding more, she wanted to ride more. She was a reluctant convert but now finds biking much more enjoyable on the e-bike thus we ride more often together and we ride farther together. Weekends (when weather permits) our cars often sit. I'd like to only own 1 car but she's not sold on that idea. But for now we are both riding more and both in better shape (or will get back into better shape once the streets are clear of snow and ice). I still ride non e-bikes. Overall I ride a lot more miles versus when I just had a non e-bike for weekend use. I've spent a lot of money on this e-bike hobby but haven't regretted it one bit.

glenmorenee, I can relate to your post. I'm into photography ... So not getting a lot of photography in but I sure am enjoying the ebike everytiome I get on it!:cool:
Ditto here, re: photography... have seen more than a few things I'd love to stop and shoot, but I never haul my full SLR kit and likely never will... in fact, I'm quickly becoming convinced that the most expensive ebike-related purchase for me will likely have to be a 2nd camera... a robust all-in-one with RAW, so I can toss it in the pannier or jacket pocket.

Ditto here, re: photography... have seen more than a few things I'd love to stop and shoot, but I never haul my full SLR kit and likely never will... in fact, I'm quickly becoming convinced that the most expensive ebike-related purchase for me will likely have to be a 2nd camera... a robust all-in-one with RAW, so I can toss it in the pannier or jacket pocket.
I recently sold off all my high end bodies and interchangeable lenses (Panasonic/Leica 4/3) as I am spending too much time on my bike to keep putting the big kit to good use. I ended up getting this compact, jacket pocket camera that can easily fit in a handlebar bag, takes great 4k video, shoots raw with a 1" sensor and a 15x zoom Leica lens https://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dczs200 And still I end up using my phone camera more than anything out of pure convenience.

The down side of ebiking is that it has made me far less of a photographer, which was a lifetime passion.

I got my ebike -- Juiced Bikes Crosscurrent S -- because my COPD had gotten bad enough that places I used to walk were no longer accessible. Had to be able to catch my breath and there was no place to sit for a while. Ebiking has given me that mobility back. My wife and I ride all over town, running errands and for recreation. I try to use a low level of assist so that I strengthen my heart and lung capacity as much as possible. If I get winded, I can raise the level or turn on the cruise control until I'm breathing comfortably again.

We enjoy this activity so much together. Sometimes we load them up on the bike rack and go to an interesting nearby area to ride there.

Also, since we don't use a car as much, we have lower expenses for gas, maintenance, etc. We sold one car and get by fine with one vehicle, so that saves money also. All in all, our expectations have been exceeded.

@Alaskan This is a very inspiring thread and you are a true inspiration to us all. E bikes have opened up cycling to so many people and long may they continue!

I have always kept myself fit through cycling and football (soccer), I wasn't into cycling as much as football but when my footballing days were over after years of knee trouble I started getting more serious about cycling! I found it helped my knees more than I thought it ever could and suddenly I was addicted:D Every weekend I would look forward to getting out into the countryside and make a whole day of it, I just couldn't get enough of it and regularly covered 100 miles or more! In 2012 at the age of 54 I planned a route that would take me 154 miles in a day, I just wanted to hit my target of cycling 150 miles in a day and I achieved it:)

Fast forward to 2014 and I was hit by a viral infection which floored me for 6 months, it was a struggle just to get out of bed and cycling was totally out of the question! 2014 was a write off, on to 2015 and I managed 1500 miles, my days of long distance cycling seemed over and I was just going through the motions! In 2016 I picked up another viral infection which once again floored me for many months! In 2017 I covered 1400 miles and was once again just going through the motions!

I started 2018 and could only manage short trips and although I was enjoying it again I was missing my longer rides! By March I had covered just under 180 miles, I did actually manage a ride of just over 64 miles but I paid for it! I knew it was too much and returned to 30 milers which I could recover from pretty quickly! I turned 60 in March and decided to treat myself to a Giant Road E+1 Pro, it was my best decision ever :D

My first trip was almost 67 miles, I intened to do a short trip to get a feel for the bike but it was so much fun I didn't want to stop :D That was on April 1st and at the end of the month I did my first 100 miler since 2013, that really made me feel like I was back :D In August I decided to recreate my 2012 ride (152 miles this time) and do it in the opposite direction and it was such a blast, the e bike has given me a new lease of life and long may it continue:)

That's it, I'm going back to pedal power. My 2nd hubmotor system failed 5 miles into my third 30 mile trip. The DD motor drug me down to 7.5 mph even though I had a favorable 7 mph wind. It's coming off this weekend. The first hubmotor system never got me more than 11 miles. I'm sick of this ****ese garbage. The bodaboda frame suits me, who knows if a Radwagon would fit my peculiar body. I'd charged the battery to 50 v the evening before, and the controller continued to show a green light, which means the battery is over 48 v. But no power. Unless I can remember the name of that swiss wheelchair manufacturer that made a geared hubmotor, and one of the 3 US "distributors" consent to actually answer the phone, I'll be pedaling forever. No more ****ese fraud for me. The $2100 kit price (including battery) was not a barrier for a real Swiss system. No loggy mid-drives for me, I intend to pedal mostly, unless the wind gets up in my face or I travel more than 30 miles to some fun concert. I need the exercise of the regular commute. I've gained 10 lb this winter. I had to push up some hills today, the hubmotor only allows a 7 speed freewheel which the biggest sprocket I could find in stock was 28. I have 32 to 11 on the unpowered wheel.
You here are a nice group, much more fun than the snobs over on roadbikereview.com . But I have nothing more to say here.

Last edited:
Buying an eBike was one of my smarter decisions. It has enabled me to get up the frequent grades where I live (no matter which direction I go, it always seems to be uphill. What's up with that?) and has added a lot of freedom. Generally I will throw my pedal bike on the front of a bus if I have a long ways to go, but the bus riding experience leaves a lot to be desired. Sometimes I feel they should just hoist the jolly roger on buses and outfit the passengers with swords and eye patches, except most of them seem to have those already. Now I will just hop on the eBike 70% of the time and avoid that whole experience.

As for reliability, I used to own a couple of those old Currie eZip bikes with a brushed motor turning the rear wheel on a short chain. They were heavy bikes due to the lead acid batteries, and the only problems were having to replace a controller and the batteries as they needed over time. I loved those old bikes because they were dead reliable.

My current eBike is a low end $600 Ancheer w/ a 250W geared hub motor. I flat wore the first bike out in 18 months w/ zero problems, and the replacement had to have the rear hub motor replaced early on, but the reliability on all of these bikes has been fine.

Last edited:
Back