Is It Just Me Or Has 2018 Been the Worst Weather Year Ever For Cycling?

Seriously try riding down to even as low as 10. It's remarkable how much heat your body generates from riding activity. I'm sure I could ride down to 0 and may have so most of the year is just fine for biking in Colorado. Just be careful on ice - I went down once and almost another time (never deviate from a straight line on ice unless going very slow).

Been there done that....many times

I moved out here to downhill ski/snowboard 20 years ago. Did alot of XC skiing in some pretty cold conditions.

I even ran studded MTB tires for two seasons (which dont help when you have to step off the bike on an ice sheet). Lots of interesting rides encountering ice.

I have all the cold weather gear, that being said, these days 30F seems like a reasonable limit. I also do alot of riding at night.

Sure there will be cold snaps but sooner or later the westerly winds(chinooks) will kick in and heat/dry everything up. People are not aware of how mild the climate here really is in the winter. Basically we have fronts come thru with snow/cold weather. Over the next couple of days, the wind usually picks up and is heated up as it comes down the mountains. You can have a foot of snow on the ground one day, have 30-40mph winds, 60F temps and 10% humidity the next day which makes the snow disappear.

Which brings up what I absolutely love about my ebike (handling the wind), I used to hate it and now its no problem.

I used to bike about 3 days/week and now Im pretty much doing it every day on my current ebike (Bulls Evo 3 27.5+ hardtail). I have a TSDZ2 kit on order and plan on putting it on my old 94 GT Zaskar in the next couple of days with opensource software. If that goes well, I have a 2001 Specialized FSR which will get it next and then maybe even on a 1998 Lemond tourmalet road bike.

Ebikes Rule!!!

Last edited:
In Scotland we had a rough winter but an unusually hot dry summer, this is my cycling year so far! All of my cycling is leisure but it has to be pretty bad to stop me getting out! I purchased my e bike at the end of March so you can see the difference it made!

In 2017 my total mileage for the year was only 1426 so I am on target to double my mileage this year and its all down to buying an e bike, no regrets whatsoever:)

January - 1 ride only (22 miles)
February - 4 rides (total 117 miles)
March - 3 rides (total 139 miles)
April - 5 rides (total 309 miles)
May - 4 rides (total 259 miles)
June - 7 rides (total 377 miles)
July - 5 rides (total 370 miles)
August - 5 rides (total 393 miles)
September - 8 rides (total 418 miles)
October - 4 rides (total 261 miles)

Winter is already here so time will tell what the rest of this year will bring but I should hit my 3000 mile target, not bad for 60 years young :p still young at heart ;)

I lost the entire summer, fretting over which e-bike to buy. Just returned from a night ride at 31 degees F... Snow on the grass but not on the roads/paths.. Kind of paranoid about hitting black ice though.

Back