Is EBC allowed to use model names that resemble Tesla?

johnotterman

I have a background in digital marketing for the automotive world and I know if another automaker uses a model name that is marked it is copyright infringement.
EBC uses model names that Tesla is using such as S, X, Y

They're not competitors, EBC is small fry, and it's already prevalent. Whether you can or can't is decided by courts ultimately and ain't no one going to court over this.

I have a background in digital marketing for the automotive world and I know if another automaker uses a model name that is marked it is copyright infringement.
EBC uses model names that Tesla is using such as S, X, Y
You do?
Advertising hint Notterman,

Over half of all car models use those subliminal letters omitting the "E"
S {e} X {e} Y
E x S x Y?

Technically speaking, if Tesla really wants to sue Electric Bike Company, I guess they could? But I don't think they'd be bothered.

Look at Bolton Ebikes, their ebikes are all named after airplanes.

What about Ford Mustang? Isn't that a copy of P-51 Mustang?
What about Corvette? I'm sure some ships were named Corvette.

Also an ebike motor company called Lightning Rods have this motor called Big Block and Small Block.
I don't think Chevrolet ever sued them for using the names Big Block and Small Block.

I know what you're saying, but I don't know if Tesla will be bothered to sue an ebike company, especially when they're in the different industry and Tesla customers are very unlikely to mistake EBC's ebikes for Tesla cars.
A Corvette is/was a small class of ship in the Navy.
The P-51 Mustang was no longer being built when the Ford Mustang came out, nor was it a direct competitor.

Pretty weird discussion, they're just not in the same industry so i don't see a case. Even in digital marketing, it's quite easy to avoid any issue with SEO using content.
Also Mustang is a type of horse so i don't see the connection.
The name "Electric Bike Company" on the other hand is problematic since Google tends to give you answers relative to the company itself and every company that sells electric bikes, so much confusion here. :)

Ford was using Letter Model designations over 100 years ago.

Last edited:
Ford named the Mustang after a horse, even though it used parts off the Falcon. Jeep used to sue the socks off any car manufacturer that used vertical stripes in their grills. Probably still do, Them trademark attorneys are diligent, even if you think they're evil,

Apple Music sued Steve Jobs when he started Apple Computer. He agreed not to enter the music business amd got sued again for Itunes. His firm eventually bought rights to use the name.

There used to be a family restaurant here in town named McDonnell's. The McDonalds corporation sued because that name SOUNDED like the big chain name! Even though the small restaurant was in business long before the McDonalds corporation even existed, they lost the suit and eventually went under. Fair or not, this just underscores what a battery of high powered lawyers can do.

Back