Is buying a used bionx bike a big gamble right now?

doublemazaa

I'm looking at a used bike that has a Bionx system. It is well loved, but appears to be operating ok right now. How dumb is it to invest in this setup right now?

If I need a battery, controller, or motor in the future, would I be able to obtain an operable one someplace, either new or used?

Is buying a used Bionx a gamble now? I think you already know the answer is 'YES'. Orphaned dealers might have spares.... for a while.

Well, yeah I know it’s a gamble.

Maybe a better question is, should I treat the working bionic system to be worthless? Basically assume it’ll need to be replaced wholesale in short order?

Or is it possible/likely it will soldier on for a year or three before needing to reassess?

I’m just trying to understand the risk here.

Maybe a better question is, should I treat the working bionic system to be worthless? Basically assume it’ll need to be replaced wholesale in short order?

Or is it possible/likely it will soldier on for a year or three before needing to reassess?

If you have a Bionx dealer nearby, have the battery condition checked. Ask them about the reliability of the particular controller in the bike you are considering- some are supposedly prone to failure. I wonder about that with my own bike, but I haven't found a decent dealer so far, so I'll ride it until it fails.

I bought one back in March and I heard the next day the company went into receivership my store would’ve let me trade it back in on another model but I decided to keep it as I thought they were one of the better hub motors on the market so far six months later 3000 km everything is running perfect no problems plus it was an excellent deal .

I bought one a couple months back and knew what I was getting into. So far my Elby has been flawless and has become my favourite bike. It is a crapshoot though, I got a good deal and took the chance, my dealer has some parts and kits he said he will use for parts if he had too. At least two manufacturers are still producing BionX equipped bikes so parts are coming from somewhere......probably Europe.

I bought one a couple months back and knew what I was getting into. So far my Elby has been flawless and has become my favourite bike. It is a crapshoot though, I got a good deal and took the chance, my dealer has some parts and kits he said he will use for parts if he had too. At least two manufacturers are still producing BionX equipped bikes so parts are coming from somewhere......probably Europe.
Yeah, I do like the torque sensor and immediate response from this motor, but it does make the tail of my bike too heavy. If someone (maybe myself?) was selling/getting rid of a Bionx kit cheap, I wouldn't turn it down.

Yeah, I do like the torque sensor and immediate response from this motor, but it does make the tail of my bike too heavy.

The only time the rear weight is an issue for me is when I carry the bike up stairs, load it onto my pick up or lift it up to the work stand. Riding roads (dirt or paved) it feels the same as before the retro-fit, just faster! If I were riding steep single tracks with a mountain bike then the rear weight might be a concern.

Attachments

• BG ebike.jpg
    BG ebike.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 606
Yes, I ended up buying the bike for the same price as the bike was worth without any motor system. Buyer was very upfront that battery needed to rebuilt, and I have gotten a bunch of good riding in already with the knowledge that I'm playing with the house's money.

If I have to rebuild or put a different assist system in soon, I haven't really lost anything.

Glad it worked out for you. I got a really good deal on a BionX powered bike as well and so far so good. Companies like Ohm are still putting out bikes so parts are coming from somewhere.

Their European operation Bionx GmbH went into liquidation so there will be no more Bionx production (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Remaining Bionx Parts can be bought in the US from two Canadian businesses that bought up stock during the receivership sale
Amego EV (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
BX Legacy https://www.bx-legacy.com/pages/about-us

Back