Is anything new with Orbea Gain 2020?

SKent

Wondering what the Orbea Gain 2020's will bring? More powerful motor? Longer distance? Or just a few style tweaks on the 2020? Just wondering if anyone knows. Would love a little more push from the motor.

Wondering what the Orbea Gain 2020's will bring? More powerful motor? Longer distance? Or just a few style tweaks on the 2020? Just wondering if anyone knows. Would love a little more push from the motor.

My understanding? Same system and assist level. Ant+ battery along with basic stem computer that will show a few of the app functions. Believe the stem and bars maybe integrated at least on the costlier versions.

Agree with Jaxx - my M20 is a 2020 model and there is no difference with the bike function or power, although the stem does look different from 2019 models (?). Only 2020 benefit appears to be the included Osynce bike computer, that has 'shift' buttons to change the battery power level up and down, meaning you do not have to cycle through unassisted to go down levels and can mount computer in a more ergo position.

Check my post today from williwheels

I just got this in an email from Orbea

Gain’s new motor (EBIKEMOTION X35 PLUS) is the heart of the bike and the key component behind the Enough Energy concept. Its sophisticated transmission system provides smooth, balanced and reliable pedaling assistance that improves your rides without disconnecting you from the satisfaction of a good physical effort. And since the motor is located at the wheel and not the bottom bracket, you'll enjoy pedaling without resistance when the power assist is off.

We’ve incorporated a new Torque Simulation Algorithm into the motor, which results in an extremely natural response in pedal assistance – a smooth power delivery closer to the reaction you expect from a traditional road machine. We have also introduced a new display with a larger screen that provides essential information and a second control point for the system.

Gain’s new motor (EBIKEMOTION X35 PLUS) is the heart of the bike and the key component behind the Enough Energy concept. Its sophisticated transmission system provides smooth, balanced and reliable pedaling assistance that improves your rides without disconnecting you from the satisfaction of a good physical effort. And since the motor is located at the wheel and not the bottom bracket, you'll enjoy pedaling without resistance when the power assist is off.

We’ve incorporated a new Torque Simulation Algorithm into the motor, which results in an extremely natural response in pedal assistance – a smooth power delivery closer to the reaction you expect from a traditional road machine. We have also introduced a new display with a larger screen that provides essential information and a second control point for the system.

I was just looking at the new Orbea Gain models. They all now come with X35 Plus you mention. Max torque is still 40 Nm. With all internal cabling the bikes look really nice. Really tempting. One day when I get fit enough for them ...

I just got the email from Orbea too, labeled "THE NEW ORBEA GAIN IS HERE". From a quick review, all of the enhancements appear to be incremental, with no substantial changes to the important specs (torque, range, weight). Most critically for me, the US versions are still limited to 20mph. I love my Gain (2019 M20i, US version), but my next e-bike will be a Class 3, with power assist up to 28 mph. ARE YOU LISTENING, ORBEA? I would write you a check tomorrow for a new Gain that was Class 3.

I had an email too. I presume it covered the upcoming 2021 model Range.
I have a 2019 and for 2020 they introduced ant+ to the system. They also inclided a cyclying computer on the bars that also enabled you to move up and down the assistance levels, rather than cycling through them. The iwok controller remained on the top tube.
Watching the video of the 2021 model, there appears to be some changes to the frome constuction and a rear light has been incorporated at yhe top of the seat tube. The aforementioned cycling computer/assistance contoller also incorperates a front light.
Both lights are just to be noticed lightz rather than being able to see.
Overall it looks very sleek but not enough for me to consider changing.
I can if I wish purchase an ant+ dongle and the computer to give me the option of up and down selection of assistance level.

I just got the email from Orbea too, labeled "THE NEW ORBEA GAIN IS HERE". From a quick review, all of the enhancements appear to be incremental, with no substantial changes to the important specs (torque, range, weight). Most critically for me, the US versions are still limited to 20mph. I love my Gain (2019 M20i, US version), but my next e-bike will be a Class 3, with power assist up to 28 mph. ARE YOU LISTENING, ORBEA? I would write you a check tomorrow for a new Gain that was Class 3.
I don't think that will work with a hub motor because of the power curve. The power falls off as you approach 20 mph. They need to go with a bottom bracket motor like the Specialized Creo to make Class 3 practical with this bike.

I don't think that will work with a hub motor because of the power curve. The power falls off as you approach 20 mph. They need to go with a bottom bracket motor like the Specialized Creo to make Class 3 practical with this bike.

There is no such limitation for hub motors. The Stromer, for example, has a 600W hub motor and is a Class 3 bike. Electric motors work by generating a magnetic field, via coils, that creates a force against a series of earth magnets. That force will be present as long as electricity is being provided to the coils that generate the opposing magnetic field. Granted, the operational speed of the motor defines the engineering requirements including the diameter of the hub, the size of the coils, the volume of the earth magnets, etc.

And objectively, I can ride my M20i on a dead flat parking lot, at 100% motor power, and if I "soft pedal", where I'm providing very little human torque, I can get very close to the 20 mph cutoff. If there was no cutoff (which is defined in the eBikeMotion control software) there would clearly be useful motor assistance above 20mph if I added 100W or 150W of human power.

There is no such limitation for hub motors. The Stromer, for example, has a 600W hub motor and is a Class 3 bike. Electric motors work by generating a magnetic field, via coils, that creates a force against a series of earth magnets. That force will be present as long as electricity is being provided to the coils that generate the opposing magnetic field. Granted, the operational speed of the motor defines the engineering requirements including the diameter of the hub, the size of the coils, the volume of the earth magnets, etc.

And objectively, I can ride my M20i on a dead flat parking lot, at 100% motor power, and if I "soft pedal", where I'm providing very little human torque, I can get very close to the 20 mph cutoff. If there was no cutoff (which is defined in the eBikeMotion control software) there would clearly be useful motor assistance above 20mph if I added 100W or 150W of human power.
Someone posted a power curve for the Ebikemotion system. It clearly shows the power tailing off before 20 mph. If I find it, I will repost it.

I found additional information on updates to the X35 drivetrain system in this article from Urban Bike News. It appears that Mahle, the owner of the Ebikemotion platform, is moving away from that marketing nomenclature and calling it the Mahle X35+ system. The article goes on to say:

And now there’s a small update called X35+, which is supposed to offer extended connectivity like ANT+ integration (although this was already partly available in 2020 models). On the hardware side, the motor housing and system design have been further improved, and the new motor also allows higher spoke tension for more robust wheels. A small but perhaps important point, as we read about spoke breaks on Orbea’s popular Gain models from time to time. All the other components of the system remain unchanged.

So, as noted, incremental improvements have been made to the X35 platform, and then Orbea has added features to its newest bikes, such as integrated lights.

Back