Is anyone trying to solve charging on the road?

I have solar working on a Bosch bike. I offered to put something up but there were zero responses.
I'm curious about your Bosch setup, are you safely using an inverter setup or hacked the Bosch bms / 5VDC requirements or other?

I'm curious about your Bosch setup, are you safely using an inverter setup or hacked the Bosch bms / 5VDC requirements or other?
Also wondering about solar charging a Specialized if anyone has.It is a Brose motor I think.

The proprietary nonsense*. An example: ‘fast’ charging Bosch in the US. Luckily 6A is enabled in software. I do have the Bosch 6A charger which is non-switching (and came to me with an AUS plug). So I can only use it with a 7lb transformer which is too heavy and bulky to take out on the road. I am adapting a Satiator instead, but that brings me to my next point. This is an expensive hobby.
The 6A charger is non-switching, is it a transformer/bridge rectifier/DC regulator design? How is this possible with only extra 200g weight?
Do you know if it requires the full 260W+ input to work at all or can it work with less, like the 4A charger works if it has the required power to produce 41-42VDC @ 4A, if it doesn't have that then it switches off, the 2A charger can work with less without switching off.
Adapting a Satiator? Are you going to use this in conjunction with the Bosch 6A charger and inject the Satiator output into the Bosch 6A charger somewhere?
Very interesting, although it seems worldwide not many people are in this :(

Also wondering about solar charging a Specialized if anyone has.It is a Brose motor I think.
I don't know much about the Brose but i think it's as simple as all other non-Bosch scenarios.
All other being simple compared to Bosch meaning Bosch is a pain the behind :)

The 6A charger is non-switching, is it a transformer/bridge rectifier/DC regulator design? How is this possible with only extra 200g weight?
Do you know if it requires the full 260W+ input to work at all or can it work with less, like the 4A charger works if it has the required power to produce 41-42VDC @ 4A, if it doesn't have that then it switches off, the 2A charger can work with less without switching off.
Adapting a Satiator? Are you going to use this in conjunction with the Bosch 6A charger and inject the Satiator output into the Bosch 6A charger somewhere?
Very interesting, although it seems worldwide not many people are in this :(
@BikeMike has pulled together a number of links re fast charging in this thread; https://electricbikereview.com/foru...-battery-logarithmic-charging-strategy.35322/

Here was my grossly overloaded trike on my Kansas - Utah "Never Plug-In" tour.
IMG-20170605-113807072.jpg

I am in the process of rebuilding it to use a rotovello and placing the panels on a trailer.

How far have you gone without plugging in?. The panel overhead arrangement looks like it would shade you and keep you dry in light rain but could also act as a wing. Is that why your going to reconfigure it?

As stated, I went from Kansas to Utah. That took me through the Rockies as I followed the Adventure Cycling Associations route. It was a bit over 900 miles. On the grade leading the summit in the picture I did have to stop once and go or a short hike as the batteries replenished.

The panels overhead were great for providing shade and protection from the rain. I was a bit surprised that passing trucks didn't cause much excitement. That said, by the time I reached my destination, neat Salt Lake, the whole thing was quite loose. It would not have been ready for a return trip without significant rework.

In Salt Lake, I had removed the panels and the charge controller form the trike just in time for the trike to be stolen. The polices did find, and returned, the trike several months later, however, by that point it was good for just a few parts. This time I want to use a trailer for the panels and hinge them so that I can face them toward the sunrise and capture more of the morning sun before I break camp.

Functionally, it worked well. My initial planned power consumption left me with a success point of an average of thirteen miles per hour. At that speed, the panel would be able to replenish at the rate of consumption. I was able to exceed that speed with no ill effects. I used a NuVinci transmission as it allowed me to precisely dial in the best speed for power consumption. I used a BBS02 without a throttle for the trip.

I didn't see your first posts. Thanks for the recap. I find these types of threads really captivating. It all adds to what will become innovation that can be applied and offered to the public, as the industry matures. Bravo!

I came across this EV charging station which was recently installed at the Darling Run trailhead parking lot on the Pine Creek Trail. I thought it an odd location since the lot holds maybe 12 cars and is located in a rural out of the way spot.

P1080469a.jpg P1080471a.jpg

I doubt this installation has anything to do with E-bikes since there is no standard of adapting the connectors. Assuming you carry your e-bike charger, a simple 110V outdoor outlet is all that is really necessary. Still, it raises the question as to whether these EV charging stations could be used for e-bikes without having to carry a lot of adapter / conversion equipment.

This EV charger location would actually be ideal for e-bikes. It is located near the northern end of the 64 mile Pine Creek Trail and would be a great spot to top off for the return trip.

That's a really good idea. It has to be dead simple to just have a 120V standard receptacle.

That would make one want to have an ebike with fast charging, or at least a battery capable of taking a fast charge and if you have a Grin Satiator, you could stop for something to eat and get a reasonable amount of range in a half hour to an hour.

Not something I'd want to carry on a bike tour.
What are the options and combos, though?

On a trailer or rack
a) Solar panels
b) Generator
c) Transformer and plug-in
d) Lots of batteries and the charging equipment
e) ______________

What are the options and combos, though?

On a trailer or rack
a) Solar panels
b) Generator
c) Transformer and plug-in
d) Lots of batteries and the charging equipment
e) ______________

In my case, d). I carry a spare battery and a charger. With a little effort I can get a 100 mile range, which is more than I'm physically able to do in a day.

These EV charging locations are popping up all over the place. It would be very convenient to be able to top off a bike battery without carrying around a lot of heavy gear. Sure, you could pull a trailer and carry a transformer / adapter like the one FlatSix911 posted above. If I were going to use a trailer though, I'd carry a small gas generator which could be used anywhere when the need arises.

A standard 110V outdoor rated outlet could easily be included in these EV charging pedestals at a minimum cost. E-bikers could charge without taking up one of the plugs used for electric cars. If this were to become standard at all EV charging stations, it would be easy to lay out an e-bike tour using EV charger location maps.

Back