Is a class 3 ebike adjusted to go only 20 mph class 2?

mjorg

I see so many good deals on class 3 ebikes. It seems that you pay the same amount of money to get class 2 as you do class 3. But you get more power going class 3 and you could use it in the country with only a a computer adjustment. So can you adjust a class 3 bike down to class 2 specs and not get a ticket for being on a hike and bike trail. I've been looking for and answer to this everywhere and I've found nothing. I'm considering my next bike and I'd like the power. But I live in Phoenix, and mostly ride park trails. I hate to pay the same for class 2 and get less...

I see so many good deals on class 3 ebikes. It seems that you pay the same amount of money to get class 2 as you do class 3. But you get more power going class 3 and you could use it in the country with only a a computer adjustment. So can you adjust a class 3 bike down to class 2 specs and not get a ticket for being on a hike and bike trail. I've been looking for and answer to this everywhere and I've found nothing. I'm considering my next bike and I'd like the power. But I live in Phoenix, and mostly ride park trails. I hate to pay the same for class 2 and get less...
The short answer is no, not by the letter of the law. The class is set by the manufacturer. The authorities rely on that limitation to allow access. If it were user adjustable there wouldn't be a point to designate access by class.

In the US class 2 means throttle. Same speed limit as class1. Yes, it's crazy, but good enough for now, so that wouldn't be legal.

Just for an example, with the bike I know the best: Juiced Bikes ships their bikes -- most of them, anyway, AFAIK -- as Class 2. On my recent purchase, the sticker says class 2, so it's not just theoretical. However, a class 3 sticker was included, and the software is adjustable for class 3. So one might think that by using the included sticker, provided by the manufacturer, then setting the software for class 3 would be within legal guidelines. Juiced Bikes is famous -- notorious maybe -- for skating the legal limits, so I'm not convinced that this is accurate.

However, I'll start worrying about it when one of two things happens: (1) We get a rash of posts from people who were pulled over, the cop checked what class the bike was, and cited them accordingly for some infraction. Or (2) I myself get pulled, checked, and cited.

I just don't see it happening, unless ebikes become so common and there are major problems associated with them. No cop has so much as frowned in my direction over the last two and a half years of riding an ebike. I'll be surprised if I ever meet one who knows the difference between classes.

My plan is to ride responsibly and considerately, so I attract no attention from anyone -- pedestrians, other cyclists, drivers, police, or skaters. Hope it works!

My Juiced RC has a class 3 setting for use on personal land. Wink, wink.
I do like the fact that it is there for the occasional times I use it.

I would think that over time they will be locking and sealing controllers so they can't be adjusted out of the class the bike is designed for. A Juiced bike is a candidate for me. I hesitate because I'd sure hate to get something I can't use on the Phoenix hike and bike trails. It would be worthless with the traffic as dangerous as it is here, and who wants to pay for license and insurance? If the cat gets out of the bag on Juiced bike "skating" the law, their bikes could become well known targets for law enforcement. Maybe a Radrover is the way to go. But Juiced is just so enticing. There would be a time I would want that speed. Particularly out in the boonies. Wish there were a clear answer on this one.

A lot of ebikers think regulators and law enforcement aren't aware of classes, power and what some manufactures are selling. After spending a year in meetings and working with them, I can say they are very aware of what's going on with ebikes. They read forums too. Some of them like ebikes (some may be ebikers), but they want ebikes to fit in on trails with grandma, grandpa and the children, the equestrians and the dog walkers. The local regulators we worked with and rode our bikes want to see our bikes fit in. They want to see us able to use the public spaces we pay for. But, and there's always a but, they have to respond to grandma and the mom with kids that say its dangerous having "motorbikes" on the trail. I heard these comments at public meetings. Public officials want to reassure people that these are pedal assisted bicycles with a top speed of 20 mph. A regulated speed that cannot be altered because it is fixed at the factory.

Using ebikes on public trails that aren't allowed hurts our cause. It's been said to me, if riders can't abide by class restrictions, how can we regulate them? How can we trust they will abide by speed restrictions? We won access by a vote of 7 to 2. Class 1 only.

It's so easy to get up to speed on any topic these days. All the regulators have to do is Google class 1, 2, 3 ebikes and they land here or endless sphere. How many threads here talk about 30 mph and up speeds. Trust me they know about throttles, 1000 watt ebikes and the manufacturers and brands selling them.

I would think that over time they will be locking and sealing controllers so they can't be adjusted out of the class the bike is designed for. A Juiced bike is a candidate for me. I hesitate because I'd sure hate to get something I can't use on the Phoenix hike and bike trails. It would be worthless with the traffic as dangerous as it is here, and who wants to pay for license and insurance? If the cat gets out of the bag on Juiced bike "skating" the law, their bikes could become well known targets for law enforcement. Maybe a Radrover is the way to go. But Juiced is just so enticing. There would be a time I would want that speed. Particularly out in the boonies. Wish there were a clear answer on this one.
You are overthinking this ...

Right now I have a bike that was sold as class 2. I got into the speedometer/controller and now it runs at 24 mph. I've thought about it and the only way they would know is if they rode it. They could just pick the rear wheel up and go full throttle. But, I suspect most class 2 bikes would go over 20 mph with no ground resistance. So they'd all be illegal given that test. I live by South Mountain park in Phoenix and there are many times I could use more power on steep tracks. Just the other day my bike stopped cold trying to get up one. Over time it's going to have to come to certified and sealed control units. During the 1960's car engines had up to 10 to 1 compression ratios. When low compression ratio laws came the older car were grandfathered. Be nice to think that would be the case with ebikes.

You are right, I am overthinking this. But I do think the time is coming when enforcement will be real. I'm getting my wife into this. Two illegal bikes will be much harder to accept than one...

This whole class thing seems to be very nebulous these days, many Ebike companies are providing Class 1, Class 2 Class 3 Stickers with their Ebike and the owner gets to put the sticker on.
So if we put a professional looking class 1 sticker on my Ebike when it is really Class 3, how would the by bylaw officer/police ever know it wasn't?

The DOST package even has American and Canadian flags for the respective countries.

I am thinking that if someone is willing to cheat on their bike classification, they're probably willing to cheat on the speeds they ride on shared trails, too - it's that old saying about if you can't trust someone with small things...

You are right, I am overthinking this. But I do think the time is coming when enforcement will be real. I'm getting my wife into this. Two illegal bikes will be much harder to accept than one...
You may have a few years before it becomes an issue. See the thread on Privacy

Here in NC eBikes are pretty much banned from any of the numerous mtb trails throughout Pisgah Forest. I was actually surprised by this because I wanted to try an overnighter with my Fattie. Personally (as someone who also pays for the agency's that run our access) Im an advocate for speed limits as a way to determine access. I do abide by the current access rules and am going to try to map out a gravel route using Forestry "motorized" trail maps. That said, access rules in this state are influenced heavily by Mountain Bike and Equestrian organization. A Yeti DH bike exceeds 28mph often on a steep run and the horses**t I have had to walk around or slip in kinda kills any kumbiya feelings I have for those who guard the gate. I remember showing up in Park City Ut with a Burton SB in the very early 90's and an official loosing it that I had the audacity to even head in the direction of the lifts. Well now they have SB tours to all the major ski resorts. I think the same will happen with eBikes. To much revenue to ignore in the eBike market demographic.

I am thinking that if someone is willing to cheat on their bike classification, they're probably willing to cheat on the speeds they ride on shared trails, too - it's that old saying about if you can't trust someone with small things...
Quite true. However the difference between 15 mph and 30 mph is still small compared to roads. I would not care.

Not sure old sayings are applicable when it comes to honesty in government. Just my 2c

I means does it REALLY matter if I am peddling at 20 mph or only throttling at 20 mph, what is the big deal?
Agreed, 20 mph is 20 mph uphill or down, but we have a new, sort of free method of getting around on both roads and bike trails in the USA and Canada (if your motor is small, anyway) that isn't true in Europe.I'm pretty happy with 20, would like 25, not going 30mph.
It's all good enough.

Back