<^> InvertGen for ebike batt <^>

Joe Good

Hello y'all - I ride @ the beach in Port A. TX / USA. I'm wondering if this power unit will keep my 48v 10.4ah battery on the top of it's power range? No dead charges from scratch, just top-off charges as needed during the day...

Tx / JJ

Hello y'all - I ride @ the beach in Port A. TX / USA. I'm wondering if this power unit will keep my 48v 10.4ah battery on the top of it's power range? No dead charges from scratch, just top-off charges as needed during the day...

Tx / JJ

Yeah, it would probably work but it raises other questions. Are you going to carry it around (with a charger)? If so, how are you going to carry it?

TT

U bet braddah! I'm tough ... gonna lug it around in my backpack! (((LOL)))

OK, that's a lie. Gen & charger will stay in my car unless called into action.

Actually, we're very spoiled here in 'ol Port A.. Here ... we can park along the shoreline & shred our favorite section of sand anytime we want!

Last edited:
Clean power- will work fine.
My 6ah output charger is rated at 4a input, I imagine it draws half that.

I sometimes travel with my Honda inverter generator and two chargers when camping. Works great for recharging two batteries simultaneously. Also handy for power around the campsite. I don't see why the unit you're looking at wouldn't work.

Any small generator will charge the bike. Though, this kind of defeats the purpose of enjoying outdoors in piece and quiet. They are also smelly - if this is really a "car", not a pickup, you don't want it in a trunk. You'll also have to "exercise" it every month or so, to keep fuel lines clean when not in use. And to winterize for prolonged storage. Cheap offbrand generators are not too reliable, no matter what.

Typical bike charger will draw ~150W from generator, with about same noise and gas as if it were 800W load. If this is for occasional use only, you may consider getting a 12V deep cycle AGM battery paired with a small inverter. Wouldn't cost much more, just charge 12V battery overnight after the trip. Works well for RV weekend warriors with low energy requirements i.e. couple of lights, charging laptop etc. RV.net forum is the place to go with this kind of questions. People think that buying a generator for short-term camping is the best and the easiest solution - well, buying is sure easy.

Last edited:
Please, small quiet generators are a non-issue. The honda and Yamaha ones are just outstanding, and versatile for a multiple of uses, including lighting, charging, heating, or even running small appliances.
1. Add some Stabil 360 to the fuel, stays fresh for a year. Fuel lines don't get dirty.
2. The quiet ones operate at 50db - about the same as a conversation.
3. This is not a generac industrial 5kw gen. Those are noisy AF. Out desert camping we've seen them dig a 6' hole a hundred feet away and put a plywood cover over them. Then they're quiet. LOL
4. there is no smell, they're very efficient, and unless you're operating it in a closed environment, you would never smell exhaust.
They are even popular for fairs and events, with an EZup, you probly didn't even realize there was one running in the background.

Small Honda or Yamaha are worlds away from this product.
1) Fuels lines don't get "dirty" - they clog with stale gas. And so does the carb. Draining and winterizing is a must.
2) I believe 50-60 db noise in generators specs is measured at substantial distance (10-15ft?). The pitch/tone of these machines is what makes it more apparent and annoying, compared to human conversations carried at the same level.
4) There is smell, always. Even when you don't spill (and it's really a matter of "when", not "if").

At fairs and events you sometimes have to yell to be heard, LOL. Might as well run a generator, nobody would notice.

I've posted this before where a guy mounted one on his bike as a hybrid. He does the video with the generator running. He's not yelling at all.

It sounds too Rube Goldbergish to tote a gas generator on an electric powered bike. Makes more sense to just go to a small 4 stroke gas engine if you're going to do that, or bring your battery and a small charger into a coffeehouse and charge it there. If you're camping at a camp site in a park, aren't there plug ins you could use? I've seen some very quiet gas powered bikes. They're only loudish at full throttle acceleration. crusing they're surprisingly quiet. But with the new lithium battery advances (have no idea of the cost), we might be seeing much more range on eBikes relatively soon. Nothing is quieter and smoother than an electric bike.

Unless you're dry camping way off the grid there is nearly always power to plug in a charger. Even a campground host that may have the only outlet might let you charge a battery.
A genny is built in to an RV, have been doing that for the past thirty years. I've never owned a portable, always got along otherwise. But if all I had was a ezup or a tent, I would have one in the back of my pickup truck. 👍

Back