Interesting Video on Luna X-1 By German Bike Mechanic

Great review. Thank you. I was considering a Luna. Not anymore.

Yeah, I thought it was fairly honest. I'd own an X-1if they had my size. I'd buy an Apollo right this minute if they had one to sell me. It's a great mystery what is going on with Luna. I'd also probably change the Apollo over to the Archon Ultra. It's a mystery what is going on with Luna. Are they just laying low until real full time production can come back? Or are they quitting altogether?

I sent Luna an email a couple of days ago and they told me to check back in a couple of week and there will be more stock. So I don't think they are going out of business. Lots of people in the market for bikes which drove up demand. Colder weather and the holiday season should reduce it.

The good news is the rear freehub is a Shimano compatible splined freehub, with a SRAM PG cassette on it. It's more money but even going to Deore 5100 would only be $100 or so with the cassette, shifter, and rear mech, and it has the shadow+ clutch to prevent chain slap (the switch). As for shifting under power, I have two ebikes with gearsensors and I never trigger the sensor, I usually coast while shifting and that muscle memory is automatic. Since at least my generation of X1 has a CANBUS controller, existing gearsensors won't work, so it's good that I can train my legs to do the right thing.

Whoa! This is some purported bike mechanic who says the problem with the bike is that there's a gap between the smallest gear in the back and the dropouts which the chain goes into? Every bike mechanic knows that's a simple limit screw adjustment on the derailleur. His subsequent claim that a Shimano system shifts smoother is invalidated by his apparent lack of adjustment knowledge.

And then the display is too big because it's a distraction? Actually, a small display is a distraction since it's harder to read, which means you're looking at it longer.

He's also wrong when he says that 10 speed chains are stronger than 12 speed chains. The width is not in the link thickness, but in the barrel length. Today the best 12 speed chains are stronger than 10 speed chains (see https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-maps-vs-google-maps/ ) for instance.

I disagree when he says it's unnecessary to have 12 gears on an ebike with a powerful motor. He thinks the 3 low gears are unnecessary.

The SRAM 12 speed drivetrain is a great design, but I would think that stepping up to the GX series is the right price/value spot. That's what I have on my Luna Apollo and love it.

Interesting video (thanks for posting) and that would sure upset me to have that problem occur. It's a long drive for me to address with Luna at their shop (disclaimer: I am not yet a Luna customer) but if you purchased outside of that range and then found out you need to upgrade your entire gearing system that's a painful experience.

Back