Interesting ride thread.

I'm afraid that my photos were pretty poor, and this is the only Haibike shot.

DSCF0854_zps1ec193a8.jpg

But here are some official photos from the day. The lad in the first photo is the one that I had the bit of a race with and banter afterwards. :)

10265393_781164815234691_1576613718266283330_o.jpg

10329781_781165001901339_9193893133095398977_o.jpg 10357712_781164931901346_3108046544416862428_o.jpg 1403238_781164861901353_1584359083034569638_o.jpg 10273385_781165011901338_6036869640079416006_o.jpg 10295426_781165921901247_953464982692395890_o.jpg 10256287_781166068567899_7571165190058704459_o.jpg 10321767_781165741901265_1288793404755808189_o.jpg

Awesome shots Eddie! Funny to see the same racer guy doing a bunny hop :p

I was surprised to read that people didn't mind the mid-drive Easy Motion design with the integrated battery vs. the Haibike with the external battery and bottom bracket motor. They each have their giveaways but I guess the noise of the Bosch system just made it stand out more? Are people more used to one design or another? Is it like Bosch is more common so they knew it was electric or did they just notice it was different more quickly because there is a funky looking bottom bracket?

Sorry about all the bad luck, I've been pleading the US branch of Easy Motion to get you a battery pack for your Xtrem, I even offered to pay for it (at cost) but they said it had to be done through the UK branch and they did email them. I also requested that they send you a US control panel for your bike but haven't heard back. Everyone is busy... they do care but it just hasn't happened yet. I'll keep trying.

Blimey Court, thanks for your effort, I'm blown away by it. :)

My current battery pack has now gone back to Spain for repair, but the cycle shop that I bought the bike from, are also on the case in relation to sourcing the larger battery pack. Obviously my current battery is still under warranty, but I've stated that I'm happy to pay for any upgrade. Both the cycle shop and BH UK did their best, to get the battery sorted last week, but it wasn't to be. I'm grateful to both for trying though. :)

The console idea also sounds very appealing. I'd happily buy one that reads mph instead of kph.

The Haibike was brilliant fun yesterday, and it handled very well considering that it is clearly not designed for the use that I gave it. Up until yesterday, I had also not really perhaps understood what the merits of the Bosch motor system were. Off road the riding experience just fell into place. I have also been very quick to dismiss the eco mode on the power settings, as being a waste of time, and the settings should start in tour. I was wrong in that statement, as it came into it's own yesterday when climbing/following very slow riders up single track climbs. I was able to just put it in eco mode, and gentle cycle up the hills behind the riders, at a nice relaxed pace.

In relation to the negative comments, and they were endless, what you have to remember is that I am possibly the only person in the UK that is using an e-bike at these events, and the electric bike market as a whole gets a bum deal over here. The Brits are very strange when it to any kind of change, especially if it makes life easier. Cycling is possibly one of the biggest of those head in sand approaches. If you don't have a head down backside in the air racing bike, then you aren't considered normal. It doesn't matter that they are impractical and un comfortable, it is just the way that it has to be. I find it amusing that not much more than a stones throw away in France, Holland and Germany etc, you have riders happily going around on upright comfy cycles, powered and non powered and non powered, and no one even gives them a second glance. I'm sure that our chiropractors must be have some kind of control over what we ride over here. :)

Sorry I rather went off direction there. Being possibly the only person to be using an e-mtb, just puts me right in the firing line of everyone. It was bad enough yesterday, that I just gave up even turning my head to smile and make small talk, and instead just started to ignore the comments and continue on. When I arrived back at the finish line pushing the bike, the organiser was very quick to pounce. He shut up when I said that it wasn't a flat battery as he was shouting out, and in fact the bike still had just over 30% of it's power left after 28miles. What bugs me the most, was that he was ushered over to me at the start of the event and began pointing out negative aspects without me really getting a chance to respond. I never clicked it at the time, but through the conversation he was looking past me, rather than at me. This must have bugged me, and later on I ran it back through me head, and then I clicked, "what an asshole" there was a camera behind me. He had clearly been trying to interview me about the bike, without either first asking me, or giving me a chance to answer properly.

The whole event had a very different and negative feel about it from the start. Normally people sit at the start and have a laugh and plenty of banter, but not this one, no one even spoke. Very odd.

Several good things came from the day though. The first being that I got to be outside enjoying my passion of riding. I did meet several lovely people who offered their help and inner tubes. And one person also gave me contact details for another events mtb organiser, and the rides are half the price. :)

edit.. ref the BH v Bosch I think that having the battery integrated and no large motor on display, means that people don't see the BH for what it is. Most people just see the bike as having an over size frame and rear dynamo/hub. With the Bosch system, there is no hiding what it is.

Car and motorcycle races have class categories to level the playing field. Just as other racing events have categories, why can't these events evolve into having an e-bike category. I think in a way Eddie, you are truly a advocate of change and you are blazing this path. You're kind of like the Jackie Robinson of the e-bike racing world. I really don't understand why people have to be rude to each other!

My only concern with all of this would be the people who might be tempted to bring their over-powered excessively fast bikes to try and compete. I guess there could be a class for them as well, but I personally wouldn't want scenic single track "bike" trails over run with overly fast, loud, mostly motor driven e-bikes. Personally, I am on the fence about if electric bikes should be allowed on mountain bike trails. It would bother me to see a motorcycle on my neighborhood single tracks, and if the e-bike is basically a motorcycle, "optibike" comes to mind, that what is the difference. I think the whole thing opens up that legal and personal gray area of , "What is an e-bike?" and, "What is a electric motorcycle?" and where do you draw the line. Top speed? Watts? Percentage of human input? I am not a hater, I just honestly don't know how I feel! Having an Emotion bike as well, I tend to feel that it is more bicycle than motorcycle and should be allowed. Heck I would love to try it. However, I don't think I would feel that way about someone's 1000 watt homemade monster!

Best of luck to you at your next event. I love the stories and pictures you share with all of us.

Hi Vern, I had to Google the name Jackie Robinson and thank you for the comparison, I'm honoured. :)

You have hit upon a subject that I'm thinking of actively getting involved with.

I'm also concerned with the impact that e-mtb's might have on this kind of event, and particularly in respect of bikes with say dongles and throttles fitted etc, which would make them illegal to use in public places within the UK anyway. I'm not against dongles and throttles and more power is always great to have, but there has to be rules that should and need to be adhered to when other members of the public around. Fast overtaking and cutting up riders of pedal only bikes at these events would soon spoil it for everyone. and I could well see the bikes being banned.

With this in mind, I'm planning on speaking to event organisers, to both keep on side with them and also to offer to help to establish some form of policing of the events, should the e-mtb scene suddenly take off. I'm going to propose that a set of rules for the use of e-bikes could be written in to the events terms and conditions, setting out clearly what can and can't be used.

I think that when it comes to the rudeness, the comments are clearly coming from those that have not tried an e-bike before, so really they shouldn't even be judging. I find it even more bizarre that me cycling up a very steep hill whilst everyone else is pushing, a very odd time to accuse someone of cheating. I could understand these comments, if I were to be using a throttle, but when you are pedalling as hard as you can to get to the top and are out of breath despite having electric assist, I'd love to have someone explain how that is cheating. As said above, the Brits just seem to hate change, especially when that change can make life more enjoyable, or widen what can be achieved.

Interesting... I appreciate your perspective Eddie, glad you're the thoughtful type... perfect for leading a peaceful introduction of ebikes in the UK and not abusing them :)

After having just been reminded of this thread, I guess that I really should add the then unknown to me, last and final ride that I was ever going to have on the BH. The date was the 30th August 2014

Yet another mtb event, this time 29 miles, 17 of which I cycled with no battery. Good old BH. Despite this, I still recorded the third fastest time of the day, and wasn't overtaken until approx. the 20 mile point. Pretty good going considering. I have to say that I really didn't have much more in me, and couldn't have gone on for much longer. The bike was simply too heavy, and my energy had well and truly gone.

Evans mtb.JPG Capture2.JPG h3.JPG h2.JPG h1.JPG

No idea if this link will work, but this is roughly the area. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...2!3m1!1s0x47df7af4f80bdc8f:0x23ac63375ac4a6f3

With the KTM arriving early next week, I already have three events lined up and waiting to ride. The KTM isn't going to get an easy life. :) http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/ktm-macina-lycan-27-gps.865/#post-9999

The Haibike was also sold yesterday, so for the next few days, I just have my lovely KTM Ultra 1964 ltd edition pedal MTB to ride around on. :) This bike was an ex photo shoot/test bike, http://ukxcnews.com/2014/08/06/first-impression-ktm-ultra-1964-650b/that I picked up late summer from KTM. Climbing aside, I can't believe just how much faster and agile that it is when compared to an e-mtb.

Ultra 1.JPG Ultra 2.JPGUltra 3.JPG

Last edited:
Right, sitting here with a glass of St Austell Tribute beer to finish of the day, here a brief insight into today's e-mtb ride.

Capture2.JPG

The day started at a not too early 7.30am, and almost empty car park. That seems the norm for Evans rides, but the Wiggle events are pretty much rammed solid by that time of day in relation to parking.
There was bit of wait to sign in, but there again, I had a bit early.
This out of the way, and with the final checks to the bike carried out, it was off to queue up to start.
It happened that whilst waiting, I got talking to three lads on very nice KTM pedal mtb's. One Ultra 1964 which was the same as mine, but with more very nice touches to it, and two Aera Comps or Myroons. Not sure which though. Obviously banter about the bikes ensued from there on in, and I ended up tagging along with the lads for the duration of the ride. From the point of view of banter and laughs, it was the best ride to date!
Note the new KTM hydration pack. Shame that I have only just recently purchased a new Camelbak, or I would have been very tempted to get one myself.

z1_zps94a96094.jpg

The weather had looked a bit iffy prior to the start, but wearing short sleeve shirt had been a wise move, as the day progressed to be very warm and sunny.
From an e-mtb point of view, the route certainly wasn't taxing, and for me, there were too many road sections. I had had high hopes of seeing some nice views during the ride, but was very disappointed in that respect. In truth the route was not special at all, with nothing technical or fast flowing. There were a few reasonable sections for speed, and I clocked just over 35mph at one fleeting point, but there were just too many slower riders, horses and walkers, to make for any consistent progress.
Whilst I'd ride the route again next year as an organised group, I'd certainly not bother on my own. It was still well worth the £17.00 though, so all is good. :)
The bike was superb and I can't find anything to fault about it in any respect. I have a feeling that I am just starting a voyage fantastic relationship with this bike. It is brilliantly fast, accurate and planted, brakes superbly, and although my time on it has so far been very short, I can find no ill traits with it, and I'm half tempted to give it the nick name B-52.:)
I'm also very impressed with chosen tyre choice. Okay the bike sounds like a Landrover on SATS when on the road, but the confidence that these tyres give, seem to marry perfectly with the bike, and I suspect that these tyres are soon to be a firm favourite with me.
Riding with the three pedal only lads, I rode the bike mainly in non assist, eco mode, and the odd blast of turbo for the benefit of the gopro that one of the guys had.
This is how the battery level looked after the ride, which according to Strava, was 32.3miles. I'm happy with this, although I still don't like the size of the Nyon display. Bosch have made it far too big for off road use. I'd prefer, the smaller the better. I don't really know what Bosch were thinking of.

rs1.jpg

I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the bike rides very well in non assist mode, and hides the extra weight of the battery and motor very well.
The Bosch performance line motor is reasonably quiet, and certainly not like classic as fitted to the old bike.
Comments from other riders... Today was a pleasant surprise with absolutely no negative comments at all. :) Most of the interest and comments focussed more on four KTM's being out in a group. :)

z3_z.jpg

g1.jpg

Below, not a KTM rider. ;)

g2.jpg

f1.jpg

Back home. Note wrong battery colour. There was a glitch with the correct one, so KTM kindly sent me this one by courier in order for me to get out on the ride. They were going to send a bike, but I turned that down. They certainly know how to support their customers. :)

g3.jpg

And finally, the early stages of cleaning the bike back up to the condition, that it will be kept in.
Another gripe about Bosch. Why didn't they design the outer plastic casing of the motor, so that it could be removed without the need to take off the pedal cranks. I don't mind removing them for bike cleaning purposes, but I'd rather not.

g4.jpg

Last edited:
Bumping the thread.

So onto today's superb ride. :)

A lad that I met up with last week, who had come down from Yorkshire had never been riding on the South Downs, and as I was going there today anyway, so I suggested that he tagged along.
Being conscious of the fact that he was on a pedal mtb, for the first time ever, I opted to park at the top of the Downs, at Ditchling Beacon. Normally I would have started at the bottom and ridden up. This proved to be a very wise move today, as it enabled the ride to be split into two halves.
The South Downs can be pretty much a no go area at this time of year, as today was to prove.
Jeez was it a sticky and tough ride! One section in particular had been made really severe and chewed up, due to a shoot that was going on, and the use of 4x4 vehicles.
The grip offered was outstanding, but what wasn't so good, was the 3" of slop on the top, that had been mixed up with 20mm size pebbles of flint. It was a major recipe for drive train problems, and not only did we both understandably suffer from chain suck, the stones were wedging into everywhere possible and just halting the bikes. As much as love hub drives, I was glad to be on this bike today, as the front mech would have been ruined.
I was also grateful for not being on a Haibike fitted with the extra jockey wheel, as that would have been a further issue to contend with.
Stones and mud were continuinly locking the jockey wheels on the rear mech of each bike completely solid. Forward progress was often impossible, and both of us spent a hell of a lot of time getting our hands dirty trying to clear and clean off, each others bikes.
The mudguards on both bikes caused major issues, and clogged up with the stones and mud, and so added to the wheels locking up. In the end the lad that I was with, ripped his mudguards off and binned them. He then went on to put his bike into a cattle trough to try to clean it, and make it rideable. I wasn't going to chance that, and so just stuck with trying to clean things off, the best that I could.
My wider than OE tyres didn't help matters either, and the chain stay paintwork has taken a hammering. It was at this point, that the mud forced its way behind the Bosch plastic cover behind the front sprocket, which then allowed it to be cut in two when pedalling. You could possibly say that the cover should not have come off, but a stone must have just peeled back like a tin opener, so certainly not the fault of Bosch.
As an example of how muddy that it was, on one particular hill, I clocked 31.6mph descending it last year in the summer. Today I was trying to push the bike down it, with both wheels skidding. I rode through every puddle that I could find, to try to keep things free and moving.
For some reason though today, I left very impressed with the bike, and the way that it took the punishment. I couldn't fault the way that it performed in any way, and it attracted a fair amount of positive comments from walkers.

Okay it took us the best part of the day to complete 20 miles, but it was still 20 miles of pure quality time and fun, and wouldn't have changed any of it. It was one of those rides that made you feel great to be alive, and enjoying just being out in the open. The South Downs are a very special place, and I wouldn't have wanted to have been on any other bike. A big up to KTM.:)

The route.

st1.JPG

mb1.jpg mb2.jpg mb3.jpg mb4.jpg mb5.jpg mb6.jpg mb7.jpg mb8.jpg mb9.jpg

mb10.jpg mb11.jpg mb12.jpg mb13.jpg mb14.jpg mb15.jpg mb16.jpg

All clean again.

cl1.jpg

Lets see more interesting rides!

and this from another YouTuber to the song North American Scum by LCD Sound System...

Last edited:
One from July.

A solid 10.5 miles of climbing with an elevation gain of 6,362ft. The bike had one bar of power left remaining at the end of the climb. I weigh 75kg, and consider myself resonably fit.

Ride%20for%20Pete_zpsi0t4dq7v.jpg

It is a long story, but the shortened version is that I made a memorial plaque for a man that I had never met, and placed it in apart of the World that he enjoyed so much. He was a keen cyclist and cycle shop owner.

I was giving something back to someone that I had never met, but corresponded with on a different forum. You don't have to have met someone, for them to become a good friend. It was a very odd evening, and the feeling that I got or rather didn't get when I placed the plaque, somehow disappointed me. I left the site feeling not as I wanted, and decided to continue up the mountain. I'm so glad that I did, as when I got further round a blind corner, I was greeted by the most special sunset that I have ever seen in my life. No photo could have ever captured it, and the feeling was utterly amazing and so special. It will remain with me for ever, and I'm not ashamed to say that I shed a little tear. I came close to moving the plaque, but decided that it was just meant to be that way, and left it.

DSCF1739_zpsjbrwhacx.jpg

Sadly I can't seem to find the remaining photos, but will hunt them out.

Use1_zpsmvg6kudk.jpg

Last edited:
I have found a few from the trip to Lauterbrunnen. Just need to find the rest!

I'm back there again next year for a further 2 weeks of fun. :)

The poor old WTB Vigilante tyres didn't last the two week trip, and I also got through a set of brake discs, two sets of brake pads, and a chain.

11754707_1623015237938478_6029080405803140217_o.jpg 11722517_1622317354674933_5360349305095440181_o.jpg 11722613_1622317674674901_4508082998523958885_o.jpg 11018643_1622317151341620_8397292269384650403_o.jpg 11728801_1623015481271787_8898215099795931777_o.jpg 11760094_1623015387938463_567199732342366764_n.jpg

Last edited:
I did have one very near major disaster. I went for an evening ride and very stupidly decided to venture away from the designated cycle routes. All was going well, until I fell!

I slipped on a root, tumbled sideways and rolled down the bank shown below. A tree stopped my fall, and when I managed to climb back up, I had lost my phone and had to go back down again and find it. The daft thing about this is, that I carry more kit than you would believe, but struggled down, struggled back up again, then realised afterwards that I have a loop of para cord with me, for just such an emergency!
After this things got worse. Light was fading, I had made a school boy error of leaving my maps behind, and the phone had no signal. I figured to move on, rather than back, in the hope that things would become easier. They didn't and I came very close to just removing the HDMI and battery from the bike, and abandoning it there. I eventually got down, and it wasn't until the next day when I rode the opposite side of the valley, that I realised just how close that I had come to going over a cliff edge. Shown below.

z1.jpg

Yellow marks the route down, and the red arrow marks the point of fall.

resize1.jpg

Bike helmets help when you are on foot and take a slide on a mountain. Lots of surprise jagged rocks.

I've organised a Xmas day morning group ride and went to check the 24 mile route late this afternoon/evening, only to discover that virtually every bridleway/ cycle permitted route, has either been wrecked by horses, or chewed to bits by illegal 4x4 use. I now need to rethink the whole ride again. :(

A few photos from the ride anyway. It's going to a long wet winter. :(

z1art.jpg z4a.jpg z3a.jpg z2a.jpg

I think that I recently posted this somewhere else on the forum, but here is a short clip of how well that the Bosch Performance line motor climbs in eco and tour mode. It's wetter and steeper than it looks. It was yet another organised mtb event. The bike was actually playing around slightly, as a new motor was fitted the day before, and it had an odd power loss issue, which just disappeared by itself.

Three KTM's :)

z2ebr.jpg z4ebr.jpg

Last edited:
Another day another ride.

Knee pain has prevented me from riding over the last few weeks, but I decided to pop out yesterday afternoon for a mixed off road/on road ride, and managed to take a tumble.
The weather has been dire over here, with non stop rain and many floods. Off road riding has been pretty difficult going and I was expecting that I'd probably fall off at least once, but stayed on board the bike, despite the technical going.
My fall happened when riding on the road of all places. I was riding along a lengthy patch of very shallow flood water, when the front end of the bike suddenly dropped into what must have been a collapsed trench. The bike stopped instantly and over the bars I sailed. The brake lever went across my chest, and I ended up having to cut the ride short with neck pain. The remaining five miles to get back home, seemed to take forever.

nipplerub ebr.jpg

At least the off road riding was up to the usual fun. I would normally ride down this stream to cross it, but despite the water level not being particularly deep, I decided that it just wasn't worth the risk yesterday. The water wasn't that clear, and the bottom of the stream is very slippery. I'd rather be able to play another day, than risk the motor.

z1ebr.jpg z3ebr.jpg

Free secure bike parking.

z4ebr.jpg

Here is one of Intuvia in place of Nyon. Intuvia slots straight on, but Nyon won't work if sliding on in place of Intuvia. It requires the toggle switch to function.

z2ebr.jpg

Finally, it's back to wet and muddy shoes. Although wet on the outside, these Gore Tex Shimano boots remained lovely and dry on the inside, until the point of my fall, when I was left laying on the ground in the water!

z5ebr.jpg

It's been a bit of a busy week, with three night rides. The weather has still been terrible, with plenty of mud and water. Things have now switched to freezing though, which at least is making the ground a bit easier to ride on, but the back lanes are just sheet ice at night time, which is making the road intersecting sections pretty tricky.

I also had a night ride that I didn't really fancy doing, but it turned out to be one of the best rides for a very long time. Everything just fell into place and flowed really well and smoothly. That ride also brought an e-mtb business idea forward in my mind, so watch this space. :)

This week has also prompted me to spend a bit more money on the bike. I'm about to order an Rockshox Reverb Stealth dropper seat post, which is a mod that is very long over due. I'm also swapping out my existing battery packs for the lighting from 6 cell 18650 packs, to 10 cell 18650 packs. At least that way I won't have to ration the use of the lighting.

ebr4.jpg ebr6.jpg ebr5.jpg ebr3.jpg ebr2.jpg ebr1.jpg ebr7.jpg

We had overnight snow and ice last night, but come mid day today it had pretty much all but gone, and left a really horrid mess behind. It was quite a struggle today, and whilst the ride was only 17.7 miles long, I only had one bar of battery remaining, and that was after having only used eco and tour.
I automatically remove my rides from Strava stats and list them as e bike rides, but kept today's ride as a normal ride, long enough to look at the stats. Putting things into perspective, there were only two recorded time stages, one off road hill which is 1.1 miles long, and my previous best for it was 6.36mins, and today it was 12.14 mins. The second is a flat road section which is .8 of a mile long, and my best for this is 3.16 minutes. Today it was 9.10 minutes, which goes to show just how drained that I was, and also how much rolling resistance that there is from the tyres, which are barely running 25psi.

I cleaned and went right through the bike yesterday, and here it is back to being covered in mud. It's all clean again now, and ready for the first night ride of the week tomorrow. I'm really struggling to find any where remotely rideable, and can't stand the thought of having to take to the roads. It isn't going to happen!

ebr1.jpg ebr 2.jpg

Back