Interchangeable Twist Throttle Grips?

Ralph

Have you ever noticed that some electric bikes have what appear to be nicer grips than others? I have some really nice hand sewn leather ones on my Electra Townie, non electric. Easy enough, you just slip them off the handlebars and slip new ones on.

Is it possible or advisable to change grips on an electric bike that has a twist throttle? My dealers mentioned that everything just slips on so it is no big deal I just wonder if he is right. Does anyone have experience with swapping handlebars or grips?

Great question Ralph, I've often wondered this because I prefer ergonomic grips (since I type a lot and have some injuries from gymnastics when I was younger). For basic grips, you could always just cut the right one in half to make it fit and then slide on like your dealer said but I think that actually securing the grip and keeping it straight is a big deal.

I love the newer grips that actually clamp down at the bar end to keep the rubber facing the right direction. One brand I've actually used and enjoy is Ergon and they come in lots of different shapes and sizes. I thought they actually had a set that was specifically designed for ebikes, where the right grip was shorter, but I couldn't find it. You could always just get a regular set and then use a hack saw to shorten the grip so it would fit flush with the twist throttle and not stick out.

ergon-ergonomic-bicycle-grips.jpg

These grips are especially nice because they have a hard plastic cylinder under the rubber exterior. This keeps the entire length of the grip from twisting, not just the end where the clamp is. I also like the ones with the bar ends for changing your hand position sometimes on longer rides :)

Hey Court,

Those are the grips I was thinking of using for my bike! I was thinking of the cork version though....

corkgrips.JPG

Have you heard about their longevity though? I was concerned because of palm sweat on the natural product. They sure look cool though

Great call James, I actually had these Ergon GP1 Biokork grips in the back of my mind when I was posting the generic rubber Ergon GP1 grips. I think the cork would hold up just fine and I actually think it's like a cork, glue rubber combo.

I feel like I've seen these in shops and poked at them a bit, they don't feel like actual cork, more durable. This kind of makes me wonder how environmentally friendly they are but I guess there's a break even for using rubber/glue vs. replacing pure cork several times?

I also think that any product using cork helps to keep the niche industry alive in Europe. I've read that it has been suffering with the advent of twist tops, foam and rubber stoppers for wine bottles so these grips might help keep it going :)

Interesting. My stock grips are great so far, so I'm not looking to change quite yet, but when I do I'll go cork and let ya know how they ride!

Thanks guys. My dealer said " how do you think they got the stuff on there in the first place" dah! I guess he is right. Still no bike so I have a ways to go before I try to trick it out.

I, too, may need to look into replacing grips. I did my first work commute (21 miles each way) on Monday, and my hands were really having to grip hard. I think that'll change as I get more accustomed to how the bike rides, but if it doesn't, I'll need to find something that works better. I'd be sad to lose the leather grips on my City Commuter, though, 'cuz they look pretty cool.

They are nice grips but if not comfortable may need a change. How do you like the Commuter Fritz?

Bringing this thread back to life

Want some high quality grips for my electric mountain bike with twist throttle

Maybe gel? Or open to suggestions

Court mentioned that he couldn't find the Ergon grips with short right end for e-bikes. This looks like it
(variant: Rohloff® / Nexus®):
http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/product.html?a=griffe#gptouring-42410205

If you you have a shifter or throttle on each side you can get these that are short on both sides (variant: Gripshift®):
http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/product.html?a=griffe#gptouring-42410105

Yes, this is what i done on my latest BBS HD build...

Ergon GC-1 Rohloff/Nexus grips, had to cut a little off the right grip to accommodate everything..

P1000840.JPG

Not sure this thread ever actually answered the initial question and I have the same, so I will ask for clarifications :)
Can any of the Ergon grips like the GA3 or the GP actually be fitted on a full twist throttle (emphasis on Full).

A full twist throttle obviously has a wider diameter than the handlebar, and so I would assume that unless they would make a different version for it the answer would be no (unless they can actually stretch enough to fit on the throttle tube). Motorcycle grips for example come in two versions one with the diameter of the handlebar, and one with the diameter of the throttle tube.

Anyone knows for sure?

Last edited:
I don't see how that would work. The diameter of the throttle will be larger than the Ergon grips are designed for even if you strip the rubber grip off as you stated. I have the GP1 grips and they won't stretch like that. There is a metal clamp on the end that designed to secure the grip to a 22.2 mm bar.

sorry to bring back an older thread, but thought I might be able to provide some info/clarification here. As far as half-grip throttles go, it seems like this has been put to bed, but full-grip throttles are a different animal.

I ordered a set on amazon (here's the link, if anyone is interested) intending to swap motocross grips on to them, as I assumed a throttle is a throttle is a throttle.
Rubber motocross grips are 22 mm / 1" ID on the left (non-throttle) side to fit directly on to the handlebar, and 28.5 mm / 1 1/8" ID on the right (throttle) side, designed to slide over the throttle tube.

But when I cut the grip off the throttle I purchased, it looked like this:
PXL_20211012_020149908.jpg

The very end of this is even slightly bigger than 28.5 mm, so it's not like I could push the throttle grip over that section and then just get stuck at the fluted parts.
The way this is designed, you can't even dremel off the fins to make a 28.5 mm length all the way down, unless you destroy the retainer clips that attach the hall sensor internals to the throttle tube. I tried this anyway and it was a pain to do as these are pretty fragile. So I basically junked a brand new throttle trying to figure this out.

What's more, this particular throttle is just over 4" long, so too short for motocross grips. There are longer ebike-specific throttles available around this price, but I'm probably not going to eat more $ just trying them all. Seems safer to assume that all of these cheap twist throttles are designed as above and won't accept a standard motocross grip. Regular bike grips would never work in the first place because of the diameter of the throttle tube.

Genuinely don't understand why they need to be made this way. If you're after a full-grip twist throttle for your ebike that will accept standard motocross grips, you're stuck with the Magura or the Domino, which are 3-4x more expensive than the ones we see all the time. You can also get a traditional, cable-actuated throttle and run it into an adapter, like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32954909008.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.fca92e0e8hLciI

But nothing out there that I have found is plug & play at the $20-ish price point unless you like the pretty crappy grips that come with them. If you want simple, replaceable motocross grips on your ebike it's a bit more work and expense.

Hope this saves someone some of the annoyance I went through to find all this out.

Not sure this thread ever actually answered the initial question and I have the same, so I will ask for clarifications :)
Can any of the Ergon grips like the GA3 or the GP actually be fitted on a full twist throttle (emphasis on Full).

A full twist throttle obviously has a wider diameter than the handlebar, and so I would assume that unless they would make a different version for it the answer would be no (unless they can actually stretch enough to fit on the throttle tube). Motorcycle grips for example come in two versions one with the diameter of the handlebar, and one with the diameter of the throttle tube.

Anyone knows for sure?
Hi Scrambler!
Hey, I just ran into this thread and some exp. w/ the 'full twist grip' gamut, I 'know stuff' and feel inspired !!
Right side - I've run the thumbies (bwaaahahahaha) and three kinds of the less expensive full 'Grip twist' types.
At the moment, I'm torn down and (because I'm an anal fascist) awaiting some %$*&# JST connectors - and so, being idle hands I am. To complete my journey in every variation, I said 'gimme a beer. time to do some stuff I've got the parts for'; installed a 'left' twist grip I've been waiting to test; a new KDC display; greased, adjusted and tuned the rear bearings (Hub Motor) to a tee; reset and torqued about everything and this-n-that. Nah. I'm not restless. I'm stir crazy.
I want to try 'shifter, rear brake and a fixed point' on the right - brakes adjusted to 'one finger'.
Yes, throttle on the left can be dangerous without a cut-out - but my strong hand needs a firm base and if I let go of the throttle grip there's very little control strength available. Currently, I'm fondling the grip, not grabbing for dear life.
I just have to reprogram my head. A trade-off of 'no power safety' v 'no control safety'.
-
I know you can install high quality grips on high-end ebike throttles.
I'll be changing out the grips on my domino coming in shortly - as an insurance policy that one may not be available when my WW UC is delivered - where it's going. Meanwhile, I'll test in on my 100Nm test-bed machine - as I'm doing with other parts - like bars.
But, Q: Can I remove inexpensive twist throttle grips.
A: Certainly !!!
I bought two lefties to cut the plastic off one, and see what's under there.
So 'chop chop' lets answer this question right now.
Under that plastic grip, there's a full length (plastic) tube w/ plastic end bearing, so start the cut you needed a safe spot where the tube will not be damaged by your cutting tool. Here's what I did 20220619_120806[1].jpg.
I'm using a Spderco 'Dragonfly' with a ZDP 189 blade (I've sharpened to perfection and keep stropped). A scalpel, it goes through the rubber like butter. The rubber peels back revealing the ridged inner plastic tube 20220619_122233[1].jpg. Quite sturdy.
There's some HD glue on one side20220619_124523[1].jpg but not the other 20220619_124531[1].jpg.
A heat gun might be a bad idea on plastic. I used a pair of vice grips to grip and peel the rubber off, then trimmed most of it fused between the ridges (I want some of that glue. It's awesome! It'd keep my exes mouth shut. I must talk to these folks).

Cover removed, I think we're on to something!
To no avail, I researched this topic everywhere, concluding 'only destructive testing will provide an answer'.
Yes, we can easily remove the hard rubber grip without ruining the throttle.
-
My micrometer says roughly 28mm (1-1/10" w/ crud) OD, thus any 1-1/8" (standard throttle side) grips should fit perfectly (Har, har, har).
Domino makes 22.1mm ID throttle and 25.4mm grips. Maybe it's time to modify the grip?
Or, you see those red tabs in the last two photos? Those depress inward and - I believe - release the entire tube housing, but if that's what you wanted why not start with a half grip twist type and a carbon tube? Well yeah. That bearing, and ...

... My impressions: Maintain the bearing on the end 'cuz any wobble will cause (read 'failure') trouble.

This thing's pretty sturdy. If the pots are the quality of the Wuxing's, I put 1500miles on the one - still working fine - I'm removing.
Cost about $1.00/ 100miles use (NO, I don't work for Consumer Reports) and still great.
The wiring's a couple steps above OEM stuff.

I can't see why a quality grip can't be modded to fit.
To me, it's worth grinding down the stop-ring on a Valued G-whatever, a little filing work. They're virtually the same on even the cheapest types.
I Just want a Blue/ Black w/ soft rubber cover, grippy and easily replaced,
or Black/ Blue Domino Blu n' Black.jpg

same same.
Domino Blu n' Black.jpg

Knowing you, a source I take at face value, no doubt you've solved this whole thing.

Thank you for inspiring me on this fine Sunday (while my machine's waiting for a &*%#@ stupid 'pin', because I'm so anal I have to do it the best I can) afternoon to wreck stuff and get to down to the bone.

I hope it answers some questions !!!

Fn'F

Back