Insurance?

ymarty

Do you insure your bike? If yes, who do you go through? Portland has a high bike theft rate and I am so worried about my bike being stolen and wonder if there is any way to protect my bike.

Here are some helpful threads:
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/insurance-for-electric-bikes.22759/
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/bike-insurance-thoughts.22364/
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/bicycle-insurance-thoughts-recomendations.15710/

You can find more if you go to the "search" in the upper right hand corner of the webpage, and do a search on "insurance." When I did my search, I clicked the box that limits results to thread titles only.

As for me, I looked into it but it was going to cost me $300 per year per bike (and we have four Pedegos) through State Farm to cover the replacement cost of a Pedego bike. I don't want to pay $1,200 per year to insure our bikes.

Where did you shop at? I have never seen anyone with a bike in a grocery store before and shopping was one of the reasons I opted for an ebike. Now that I am a semi-empty nester, my son thinks I need therapy. He says I have a shopping issue of buying more than we need. With the bike, I hope to only buy what can fit in the baskets.

I went to a Kroger market, and the time I brought the bike in the store it was later in the day, and there were few shoppers.

Today I went with my son. We locked the bikes outside to safety pillars before going in the store. We filled three side baskets and one rack-top basket. Our purchases:
  • 2 loaves of bread
  • bananas
  • cilantro
  • broccoli crowns
  • 5 pounds of chicken
  • breakfast sausage
  • 18 eggs
  • 2 pounds of lunch meat
  • 1 melon
  • 1 pound grated cheese
  • 1 gallon milk
As you see, we are "edges of the grocery store" shoppers. Don't buy much from the middle aisles. These will groceries will make broccoli beef (with the ground beef, broccoli, cilantro), shoyu chicken (with the chicken. Already have veggies for an accompanying salad at home), sandwiches, breakfasts, quesadillas (got the tortillas already at home).

We LOVE our ebikes! I don't think I'll grocery shop on the bike much when it gets cold and the days get super short, but who knows! I'm going to try to adjust to the cooler weather and the rain and keep cycling for exercise, even if I don't commute in the dark.

As for buying more than you need: Maybe you can take a weekly cycling outing to the thrift store and get rid of some things you don't use and impress your son! ;)

I love to cook and bake. Friday, I get my Imperfect Produce delivery but no matter what, I seem to over buy, especially when I see staples on sale. I need to scale down. I have spent the last couple of months purging things, especially kitchen items. I just have to learn to cook for myself and a bit for the son who is partially home. So used to cooking for two growing boys.

It sounds to me like your love may be something you can channel into helping in your community. Our church, for example, has a committee of folks who prepare meals for ill people in the community. I hope you can continue to do what you love. <3 And, you can deliver by ebike! :)

we have high theft rates of bikes where I am as well. As a matter of fact I saw 1 bike (not electric) still locked up, but all that was left was the frame. everything else was stripped. I also read on here the person who had their ebike stolen right out of there garage.
I took the plunge and just bought insurance through my homeowners policy. it worked out to 10 percent of the cost of the bike. 230 dollars. Thats a lot cheaper than car insurance.

This is not meant as a put-down or criticism. We are all advocates of biking and e-biking in particular. It seems to me we need to be mindful and a little careful about the image we give to the general public. I am not sure taking a bike into a store or using it as a "shopping cart" in a supermarket projects a positive image of bike riders. Again, just thinking out loud and posting this as food for thought, not meant to stir up controversy or question the motives of those who posted these ideas.

Last edited:
I purchased Velosurance on my 2017 Magnum Metro+. I have to leave it parked outside at work. Coverages include liability of $100k, vehicle contact protection for $25k, replacement value of $2500 (bike plus accessories), and a few other items (damaged apparel, bicycle rental reimbursement). I pay just over $200 per year. I hate paying insurance as much as the next person but for $200 a year, it's worth the peace of mind.

Last edited:
I self insure my bikes. I don’t let them out of my sight. If I stop in a store, I take the bike in. Not a single person has asked me to take it outside.

Damn right!

54DF2B34-E632-49E5-86A6-2D3045393ABD.jpeg

This is not meant as a put-down or criticism. We are all advocates of biking and e-biking in particular. It seems to me we need to be mindful and a little careful about the image we give to the general public. I am not sure taking a bike into a store or using it as a "shopping cart" in a supermarket projects a positive image of bike riders. Again, just thinking out loud and posting this as food for thought, not meant to stir up controversy or question the motives of those who posted these ideas.

Obviously, one has to use good judgment, which includes time of day and so on. I would say that the reason nobody has ever complained is because I always make sure I’m not inconveniencing others. While touring, people understand that it would be foolish to leave that set-up out of my sight. While grocery shopping at home, I usually take a smaller bike (folder). The store security is friendly and will offer to watch it if I prefer.

I'm glad that you've found people to be kind. I noticed the same, the one time I brought my bike into a grocery store because I'd forgotten the key to my lock.

I called Spoke Insurance and they do offer roadside service. They gave me a quote of 361.00 a year for full replacement cost of 3000, 50k liability w/ $300 deductible. Although my homeowners insurance says they will cover replacement cost, there really isnt much in the way of liability coverage. Its not as bad as I thought.

I'm glad that you've found people to be kind. I noticed the same, the one time I brought my bike into a grocery store because I'd forgotten the key to my lock.

Ebikes are still a novelty in most areas. I think people like to help out because it’s an opportunity to ask questions, and I’m generous with my time. It will be interesting to see how infrastructure develops around ebikes. Don’t want all of us to fight over the same outlet, haha.

It’s also led to productive conversations with customer service if no infrastructure for securing a bike (electric or otherwise) exists outside the store.

I've heard that there is some ebike insurance that comes with roadside assistance, too!

Better World does that. Also if you're a AAA member they will provide a ride on the tow truck to bicycles the same distance as your membership level, they only meet you at the roadside so if you're on a bike trail or off road you have to push the bike to a road. I haven't tried this myself so I don't know how they attach a bicycle to a tow truck. Presumably a ride counts towards your annual call out limit before they start charging.

Back